Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Model 15

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Yes it has both those markings on the barrel.
    Smith and Wesson is on the left side 38 Special CTG is on the right.
    Hmmm. The book says that the K-38 has the left CTG, but no mention of the right, whereas the K-38 target (different sight, different gun) had both, and was introduced earlier. In all, my hunch—worth less than you paid for it—is that you have a very early K-38 Combat Masterpiece from the end of 1948. But I’m no S&W expert; I just like (and have bought enough of) the guns enough to spring for a book on them.

Either way, I’d sleep easy on a $525 price for that gun. Again, JMO.

And welcome to the K cult. No going back now…

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    @UNK - You made out like a fat rat!

Brownell's sells a screwdriver handle with the four bits you need for S&W revolvers. Those screws are replaceable, but the yoke screw back then was fitted to the yoke, so you don't want to lose that one.

Stay with standard pressure loads for that one. Wadcutters will make you smile in that revolver!

Now I want to put my striker-fired bottomfeeder back in the safe and dig out my M67-1, the stainless version of your Combat Masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Hmmm. The book says that the K-38 has the left CTG, but no mention of the right, whereas the K-38 target (different sight, different gun) had both, and was introduced earlier. In all, my hunch—worth less than you paid for it—is that you have a very early K-38 Combat Masterpiece from the end of 1948. But I’m no S&W expert; I just like (and have bought enough of) the guns enough to spring for a book on them.

Either way, I’d sleep easy on a $525 price for that gun. Again, JMO.

And welcome to the K cult. No going back now…

Great info thx! If the serial would help I can PM it to you when I get back to the house.
    As I mentioned earlier the one on the grip starts with a K
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Great info thx! If the serial would help I can PM it to you when I get back to the house.
    As I mentioned earlier the one on the grip starts with a K
    Not the same as the frame under the crane? I may have messed that one up then. Yeah, PM me when you have a minute and I’ll re-do that one.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    You know a lot of this can be blamed on you and several others on this forum. When my Son asked me why I bought it I said “Why to shoot jack rabbits in the head of course” 😂 Im in KY I dont think Ive ever seen a jackrabbit.
    It’ll do just fine on cottontail bunnies, squirrels, snakes, possums, bullfrogs, and whatever else strikes your fancy as an edible or semi edible small critter.

My 15-3 is a favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    @UNK - You made out like a fat rat!

Brownell's sells a screwdriver handle with the four bits you need for S&W revolvers. Those screws are replaceable, but the yoke screw back then was fitted to the yoke, so you don't want to lose that one.

Stay with standard pressure loads for that one. Wadcutters will make you smile in that revolver!

Now I want to put my striker-fired bottomfeeder back in the safe and dig out my M67-1, the stainless version of your Combat Masterpiece.

I second the recommendation for the Brownells S&W Revolver Combo Magna Tip set.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...o-prod406.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Not the same as the frame under the crane? I may have messed that one up then. Yeah, PM me when you have a minute and I’ll re-do that one.
    The numbers under the crane are not serial numbers; they are assembly numbers. Same for the numbers often found on the rear face of the cylinder, and on the flat of the barrel above the ejector rod. Sometimes the numbers on the cylinder will correspond to the last digits of the gun's serial number, but not always. For example, on my 1948 K22, pictured below, the serial number is on the butt and has a "K" prefix; the same number, with a "K" prefix appears on the cylinder; that number also appears on the flat of the barrel above the ejector rod, but without the K-prefix. S&W's practice in this regard changed over time. My 1958 Model 14, also pictured below, has its serial number both on the butt and underneath the crane. There are no assembly numbers on the cylinder or barrel flat.

Last edited by oregon45; 11-06-2022 at 07:22 PM.

Disregard - oregon45 nailed it with the description of the serial number information/locations.

^ Very nice pair of revolvers.

Just because you haven't seen jackrabbits doesn't mean you shouldn't be ready.

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    The numbers under the crane are not serial numbers; they are assembly numbers. Same for the numbers often found on the rear face of the cylinder, and on the flat of the barrel above the ejector rod. Sometimes the numbers on the cylinder will correspond to the last digits of the gun's serial number, but not always. For example, on my 1948 K22, pictured below, the serial number is on the butt and has a "K" prefix; the same number, with a "K" prefix appears on the cylinder; that number also appears on the flat of the barrel above the ejector rod, but without the K-prefix. S&W's practice in this regard changed over time. My 1958 Model 14, also pictured below, has its serial number both on the butt and underneath the crane. There are no assembly numbers on the cylinder or barrel flat.

Great info, thanks for the education. The majority of my S&Ws just have the model # in the frame underneath the crane, eg. 36-1, 36-6, 65-3, etc etc. That said, my 66-1, for example, does indeed have the the same serial number under the crane as on the butt. No assembly numbers.

At any rate, great post in a cool thread, Oregon.

User Tag List