Thread: Underwood .380 ACP 90gr +P XTP in Vyes Ballistics Gel

Underwood .380 ACP 90gr +P XTP in Vyes Ballistics Gel

Test Gun: Ruger LCP
    Barrel length: 2.75 inches.
    Ammunition: Underwood .380 ACP 90gr +P XTP (Item 141)
    Test media: 10% Vyse Ballistics Gel.
    Distance: 10 feet.
    Chronograph: Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph G2.
    Five shot velocity average: 1036fps
    BB Calibration two shots: 4 and 3.75 inches.

https://general-cartridge.com/2022/1...allistics-gel/
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post

Comparing it to your other tests it looks to have only slightly better penetration. Do you feel the increased recoil is worth the extra inch? Thoughts on increased slide velocity affecting reliability?

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Comparing it to your other tests it looks to have only slightly better penetration. Do you feel the increased recoil is worth the extra inch? Thoughts on increased slide velocity affecting reliability?

The recoil wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, and I had no problem with it, but it was more. If I found it to be reliable for me, I probably would, but the benefit is minable at best. The only issue I had was loading the first round from the mag twice. I'm pretty sure it was a mag issue. I also have a heaver aftermarket spring installed that probably needs to be replaced.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Thank you for conducting this test using a legitimate test medium.

By doing so, you've distinguished your work from myriad others' whose use of non-standard test mediums relegates them to ''entertainment only'' status.

Assuming that your gelatin test blocks were held at the correct temperature (4°C), it looks like the shear validation for your test blocks, 3.75'' and 4'', indicates a slightly lower viscosity than standard. Of course, because you've used a highly researched, scientifically proven test medium, the ability to 'correct' for the slightly lower viscosity of your gelatin test blocks is easily accomplished using McPherson's correction formula. I'll save everyone the boredom of running the equations out here and provide only the penetration depth correction values for each block. I don't know which tests (bare & heavy clothing) occurred in which block (3.75'' and 4.00'' BB penetration), so I'll leave the final adjustment of the respective penetration depth corrections to you.

In order to correct the penetration depths in the 10% OG block in which the BB penetrated to a depth of 4.00'' (10.16cm), you'll need to subtract 1.66 inches from the final penetration depth of the test projectiles. Penetration depths in the test block in which the BB penetrated to 3.75'' (9.525cm), will require the subtraction of 0.70'' from the final penetration depth of the test projectiles. Slight adjustments in gelatin concentration are an acceptable practice—they are commonly employed in respected labs. In order to decrease penetration by 4/10ths of an inch (on average), you'll need to increase the gelatin fraction by 1%. In the future, should you wish to avoid the need to mathematically 'correct' penetration depths, you should be able to bring your test blocks to the correct (slightly higher) viscosity by increasing the fraction of gelatin powder in your test blocks to 11% by weight.

Good job!
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    Thank you for conducting this test using a legitimate test medium.

By doing so, you've distinguished your work from myriad others' whose use of non-standard test mediums relegates them to ''entertainment only'' status.

Assuming that your gelatin test blocks were held at the correct temperature (4°C), it looks like the shear validation for your test blocks, 3.75'' and 4'', indicates a slightly lower viscosity than standard. Of course, because you've used a highly researched, scientifically proven test medium, the ability to 'correct' for the slightly lower viscosity of your gelatin test blocks is easily accomplished using McPherson's correction formula. I'll save everyone the boredom of running the equations out here and provide only the penetration depth correction values for each block. I don't know which tests (bare & heavy clothing) occurred in which block (3.75'' and 4.00'' BB penetration), so I'll leave the final adjustment of the respective penetration depth corrections to you.

In order to correct the penetration depths in the 10% OG block in which the BB penetrated to a depth of 4.00'' (10.16cm), you'll need to subtract 1.66 inches from the final penetration depth of the test projectiles. Penetration depths in the test block in which the BB penetrated to 3.75'' (9.525cm), will require the subtraction of 0.70'' from the final penetration depth of the test projectiles. Slight adjustments in gelatin concentration are an acceptable practice—they are commonly employed in respected labs. In order to decrease penetration by 4/10ths of an inch (on average), you'll need to increase the gelatin fraction by 1%. In the future, should you wish to avoid the need to mathematically 'correct' penetration depths, you should be able to bring your test blocks to the correct (slightly higher) viscosity by increasing the fraction of gelatin powder in your test blocks to 11% by weight
    Good job!
    I shot the two BB into the same block. One went 4 inches and the other 3.75. I didn't get the velocity of either shot, so it's possible the one was the shots was out of the velocity range of 595fps + or - 15fps.

I have been having a problem getting the Vyse gel to calibrate. I have already adjusted the mix to about a 10.5% and was going to increase it some more next time.

As an aside, I tested another food grade 250A gel at the same time as this test. The two calibration shots both came in at 3.5 inches, and I was able to get the velocity of them at 585fps.

I shot the two BB into the same block. One went 4 inches and the other 3.75. I didn't get the velocity of either shot, so it's possible the one was the shots was out of the velocity range of 595fps + or - 15fps.

I have been having a problem getting the Vyse gel to calibrate. I have already adjusted the mix to about a 10.5% and was going to increase it some more next time.

As an aside, I tested another food grade 250A gel at the same time as this test. The two calibration shots both came in at 3.5 inches, and I was able to get the velocity of them at 585fps.
    I do recall your efforts with regard to the food grade 250A gelatin in the past. It's definitely encouraging. If it the food grade 250A gelatin has the same density as your VYSE ordnance gelatin and consistently shear-validates to confirm the correct viscosity, it is suitable as a soft tissue simulant because it duplicates the properties of (the non-food) grade ordnance gelatin. The only real difference between the two is that the food grade gelatin has probably been subjected to a greater degree of filtration in order to eliminate discoloration and increase its clarity. That ought to make for nicer videos in the long run.

I'd encourage you to increase your gelatin fraction to 11%. While making up gel blocks is certainly scientific, there is some 'art' involved in the work, too.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Thank you for the test.
    This is particularly relevant for me as my .380 XTP reloads get around 1050fps in my handguns (Makarov and Bersa) that have the Canadian mandated barrels of just over 4”
    Even regular pressure .380 breaks 1000 in that barrel length.
    It’s nice to see that the performance benefits of the extra velocity translate to perfect performance through heavy clothing. A little short on penetration in bare gel but I think it’s still acceptable for a .380

Once again XTPs prove to work better at faster velocities then Hornady is willing to load them.
    The 9mm 124 and 147gr bullets perform great when pushed 100 or so fps faster then Hornady +P velocities.
    Last edited by diananike; 11-06-2022 at 10:00 AM.

User Tag List