Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are KNS Pins for your AR a gimmick?

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    Given your background- something that never made sense.

How do the KNS pins reduce/prevent this wear from the same energy being exerted on a pin. The pin will no longer rotate, yes. But the lower is still aluminum, and the pins are still steel.

I have seen this same commentary over the years and how the pin being able to rotate or not preventing wear seemed unrelated.

I don’t know if you have specific knowledge on this subject but figured there was a decent chance you did.
    Specific to 9mm guns:

The hammer pin is the one that typically takes the brunt of energy, as the extra weight and recoil impulse of the bolt transfers excessive energy to the hammer pin when re-cocking the hammer. The original 9mm Colt bolts contacted the hammer further down closer to the pin, supposedly as a way of delaying the bolt opening due to the increased energy needed to leverage the hammer. The real fix is a redesigned bolt ramp that changes the contact position on the hammer, thus reducing the torque on the pin...however another way of coping with it is supposedly KNS pins.

By connecting the two pins, the idea is that you're spreading that energy across two pins instead of one...thus, less energy per-pin which reduces the chance of the pin breaking, as well as less chance of the pin holes deforming.

I don't know if the idea has ever been properly tested, since KNS pins came out after the change of using properly ramped bolts.
    Last edited by TGS; 11-14-2022 at 07:44 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I have to wonder if these pins might deliver some value if using the KE Arms composite lower.
    I have no idea if that would even be necessary or compatible though.
    My apologies to weasels.

Are KNS Pins for your AR a gimmick?

Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post
    I have to wonder if these pins might deliver some value if using the KE Arms composite lower.
    I have no idea if that would even be necessary or compatible though.
    KE Arms does put out captured pins… just have screws on the end and not connected.

However, the KP-15 lower is thicker than a standard AR lower where the hammer pin is. A set of KNS pins would not work correctly in it due to that. KNS would have to make the sides have a step in them for the setup to work. KNS has pins for a different polymer lower, which I think the numbers were off for the length of the hammer pin… but still doesn’t fix the two pins having different lengths.

Just wanted to post that, so you don’t waste money. [emoji6]

User Tag List