Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: A new EDC TQ

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    https://www.snakestaffsystems.com/
    Attachment 96654
    Kinda disappears
    Attachment 96655
    No patients needed a TQ tonight so I haven't tested it yet.

I liken this to a tlr7. It's small enough to carry everyday. A CAT/x300 is not. For me at least. Plus it will be effective on kids.
    @snow white
    Have you messed around with getting it into action quickly if it’s carried like the photo shows (windlass already secured under the spring clip)? How easy is it to get the windlass free so you can turn it? Is it easy to do one handed?
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

I like creativity and new ideas. If what we have is all we try, we don't innovate. That said, thoughts.

• By design, basically a CAT or TMT.
    • When folded, looks like hook and loop is exposed for fouling. Can it be folded otherwise?
    • Windlass is shorter than both SOF and CAT. SOF and CAT have the same length. Length of the SOF and CAT corresponds to the span between the first and fourth finger on an ~average hand, a sweet spot for leverage and dexterity manipulating the windlass. Shorter windlass will be harder for some users to manipulate to full occlusion esp with blood, loss of strength/dexterity/focus.
    • Chemlites go on patients in special circumstances, not on TQs. Want your TQ seen, get red/orange/lime green. Adds unnecessary process and expense.
    • QR on the TQ strap is gimmicky but does no harm. On packaging for pre-event use - useful.
    • I like the 3-step printed instructions.
    • ETQ Wide > ETQ

I'd throw a few in training kits to see for myself.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    The extra width isn't just about preventing peripheral neuropathy.

1.5" TQs have more effective occlusion rates.
    That's why I got the 1.5" one

This video is in response to a couple different comments. Mostly about the size, Velcro, and the windlass being secured.

I don't think these are meant to replace CATs. They are meant to be carried by those who don't or can't carry them due to size.

If they're not perfect then so be it. It's better than an improvised TQ.
    https://youtube.com/shorts/PNb5FfmyYdQ?feature=share

@WobblyPossum

Nice. I thought you might be able to pull the windlass down and out of the clip but wasn’t sure just from the photo. I’m definitely interested in the wide (1.5”) version since it sounds like they’re otherwise the same size.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

I see this being the "J-frame" of tourniquets, it may not be perfect but if it gets more people to carry one, great.

In my career as a ff/medic, I have used a TQ (CATTs) 4 times. 2-x (separate events) Pedestrian struck by car, lower leg amputation, MVA arm amputation at the elbow, GSW to the thigh. I can say that I have 100% success, I also had a lot of help and a quick trip to the ER. We did not have high hopes for the GSW. By the time LEOs cleared the scene and we got to the patient, he had lost most of his blood.

This brings me to Carry your own! If you are involved in any type of shooting, the medics aren't coming to save you until the Po-Po clears the scene.

answers

Some observations:

1) I've never heard of marking TQs with chem lights. It is not only unnecessary, but from the training and operations I e been exposed to it may also be counterproductive as chem-lights are used in patient areas for other purposes.

2) Manufacturer has a blase attitude towards TQ width; they say to go apply a TQ to a foam roller and measure the imprint, and it'll only be 1" wide. Well, okay, let's take that as fact for the point of the conversation...if a 1.5" strap leaves a 1" imprint, meaning only 1" of compression, then what size imprint is a 1" strap leaving? Is there something different about this construction that would allow it to perform equally well as a 1.5" strap? After all, TQs used to be made with 1" straps and migrated to 1.5" after pretty thorough documentation of both lab testing and field studies.

3) Construction of the TQ needs to be thoroughly tested and vouched for before I'd consider carrying it. Life saving gear is not something you toy around with just to "try the new thing", especially something meant for as acute a situation as a TQ is purposed for.
    With all that said, I'm very interested in this. An effective TQ the size of Glock 19 mags is super cool to pull off, if possible.
    Hey man, I am the primary designer of the ETQ, so I will answer your questions:

1) I also have never heard of marking TQs with chem lights. It is unnecessary, but we believe it is a value add, and it is optional for those who don't want it, just take it out or break it when you first get it. For civilians, it has three potential benefits: first responders will more quickly/easily find and ID casualties and that a TQ is applied and where if that TQ is glowing. Second, in an emergency, should there be little to no other source of light, the chem light provides enough light to work by and apply the TQ. Third, if you are out in the boonies, it is much more likely for search and rescue to locate you if you are literally emitting light. We see absolutely no downside to the user for this, except for in case of LE/MIL, but that is why we also have a MIL version that has an IR chemlight, providing really good IR light to work by and marking casualties. Again, if you don't want it, just remove it or activate it. Every single decision, including ones that many people would deem unimportant, is weighed by "Would this make it more likely to save a life or not?"

2) I think you misunderstand this, and should watch our launch video on the TQ width. If you apply the 1" ETQ next to a CAT on a foam roller, leave it on long enough to leave a depression, you will not be able to tell which TQ is which on the opposite side of the windlass, where it is just the depression of the band. This is because the CAT uses a 1" band for the compression inside their sleeve, you can literally pull on the windlass and pull it out to check. You can also apply it to your leg, and stick your fingers underneath the sides, because its not a true 1.5" TQ. The reason why CoTCCC recommends 1.5" TQs is in their name: Tactical Combat Casualty Care. Where their focus is, in combat overseas, these patients cannot be quickly upgraded to the next level of care for many hours, often 10-20 hours. It is the conclusion of CoTCCC that the wider a TQ is, the less likely it is to induce tissue damage over PROLONGED use. The ETQ is intended primarily for civilians who can be upgraded to next level of care within an hour or two. One could stop the bleeding and save a life, then 10 minutes to 2 hours later, swap it with a 1.5 inch TQ. The intent of the ETQ is to get people to carry TQs, as a femoral bleed can leave you unconscious in two minutes and dead in three. Can you sprint to your car/backpack and find and then apply your TQ within 1.5 minutes, all while bleeding out? Or if its not you bleeding out, can you sprint back to your family member in that amount of time? I disagree strongly that we have a "blase attitude", we have studied this, thought extremely deeply, and consulted with the experts, including members of CoTCCC. We take this incredibly seriously, and believe strongly that by convincing many people to carry TQs, we will save a lot of lives. If you don't want to use the 1", or you intend to use this in the back country, that is why we have a 1.5", the ETQ-Wide.

3) It is good to be skeptical of new gear and new companies. Time will tell, and we have sent over 100 of them out for tons of people to test them, without any direction from us. Keep in mind that all recommended TQs have saved lives before being recommended by CoTCCC, it is a pre-requisite. The Cat gen 7 saved thousands of lives before being recommended.

And finally, our mission is simply to get people carrying and training with TQs, we could care less what brand you choose, so long as its a good one. Cheers

The extra width isn't just about preventing peripheral neuropathy.

1.5" TQs have more effective occlusion rates.
    This is true, but our 1" ETQ has never failed to occlude bloodflow in any test, including thunderthighs.

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    I like creativity and new ideas. If what we have is all we try, we don't innovate. That said, thoughts.

• By design, basically a CAT or TMT.
    • When folded, looks like hook and loop is exposed for fouling. Can it be folded otherwise?
    • Windlass is shorter than both SOF and CAT. SOF and CAT have the same length. Length of the SOF and CAT corresponds to the span between the first and fourth finger on an ~average hand, a sweet spot for leverage and dexterity manipulating the windlass. Shorter windlass will be harder for some users to manipulate to full occlusion esp with blood, loss of strength/dexterity/focus.
    • Chemlites go on patients in special circumstances, not on TQs. Want your TQ seen, get red/orange/lime green. Adds unnecessary process and expense.
    • QR on the TQ strap is gimmicky but does no harm. On packaging for pre-event use - useful.
    • I like the 3-step printed instructions.
    • ETQ Wide > ETQ

I'd throw a few in training kits to see for myself.
    Hey, good thoughts, here are some responses:

In our testing, the windlass is only harder for the initial first twist, but overall it is not more difficult to actually occlude blood flow. The time when its difficult to turn a windlass is one handed application, and ours is actually easier, the length doesn't really apply, as one's hand isn't big enough to take advantage of the longer lever of a longer windlass, unless you are grabbing only one end.

Yes, you can fold it/stage it in many different ways, including the same as the CAT. It comes in our preferred staged form, and we have tested every one we can think of. Having carried multiple on my person for a year and a half, I have never had issues with the hook and loop filling with debris. I can see that being a potential issue for duty carry, say with mud or snow, or simply making noise, but that is why we recommend carrying them in certain ways. The way they come is optimal from our perspective, but we are more than open to finding alternate or even better methods.

We are aware that currently chemlights have their specific uses, and they are not found on TQs. That said, we believe it is a value add, and it is optional for those who don't want it, just take it out or break it when you first get it. For civilians, it has three potential benefits: first responders will more quickly/easily find and ID casualties and that a TQ is applied and where if that TQ is glowing. Second, in an emergency, should there be little to no other source of light, the chem light provides enough light to work by and apply the TQ. Third, if you are out in the boonies, it is much more likely for search and rescue to locate you if you are literally emitting light. We see absolutely no downside to the user for this, except for in case of LE/MIL, but that is why we also have a MIL version that has an IR chemlight, providing really good IR light to work by and marking casualties. Again, if you don't want it, just remove it or activate it. Every single decision, including ones that many people would deem unimportant, is weighed by "Would this make it more likely to save a life or not?"

Thanks for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by Maca View Post
    The issue of portability has been well solved by SWAT-T.

It works well for hemorrhage control and be used for other purposes such as pressure dressings, wraps, etc.

https://www.swat-t.com/
    If you read the studies and dive deep, you will find that what TGS says is absolutely the truth. It has its place, it is not a bad product and I am sure it has saved lives, but there are reasons why CoTCCC reviewed it and does not recommend it.

If they had truly solved the issue of portability while retaining full functionality, I would have never designed the ETQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    I see this being the "J-frame" of tourniquets, it may not be perfect but if it gets more people to carry one, great.

In my career as a ff/medic, I have used a TQ (CATTs) 4 times. 2-x (separate events) Pedestrian struck by car, lower leg amputation, MVA arm amputation at the elbow, GSW to the thigh. I can say that I have 100% success, I also had a lot of help and a quick trip to the ER. We did not have high hopes for the GSW. By the time LEOs cleared the scene and we got to the patient, he had lost most of his blood.

This brings me to Carry your own! If you are involved in any type of shooting, the medics aren't coming to save you until the Po-Po clears the scene.
    This is exactly the purpose of the ETQ, and our company, Snakestaff Systems. We don't care what brand you choose, we just want to convince as many people as possible to start carrying TQs and training with them. Making it easy and convenient with our own products will help accomplish that goal.

Blood loss is the leading cause of preventable accidental death, tons of people die this way every year, and if we were more prepared, we could be ready to save lives.

User Tag List