Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: A new EDC TQ

If the stitching is secure and the windlass/capture is strong enough I don't see why it wouldn't be gtg.
    The Chem light part is a bit silly IMHO, mostly because I can envision about 50 ways it will get activated by accident and while this is way out of my lane I can't imagine a scenario where EMT's are struggling to find the TQ.
    And I can already hear all the Tactical Timmy's warning of Kilt in the Streetz because their TQ had an ND in an NPE.

Yeah, I’ll just pull the chem lights and use them for Halloween next year (or, marking rooms as “clear” while doing cool-guy solo building clearing… NOT…).

I have given up on keeping a real TQ on my body at work, all things considered. I do have 2 P-F approved TQs in my book bag, which is always with me, but it would be nice to have something to throw in a back pocket.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I will continue to stick with something from this list.
    I have them...in my truck. The only time I have them on me is if I have a pack while hiking/fishing/hunting. For my daily activities, it's hope I can get to the truck, use my belt, or I could carry one of these mini-me TQs.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Ben_FLUX on COTCCC recommendations. He's the developer and posting on arfcom.

Absolutely, we are already working on it. To clear up a shit load of confusion: (I didn't fully understand for years and years)

The Committee on Tactical Combat Casualty Care (CoTCCC) has only met to review TQ data twice, as far as I am aware. Once in 2006, and again in 2018. So it will be years before they do so again, but in the words of Trauma Daddy himself (one of the members), that is good for us, because they don't do any testing themselves, they only review data, and if we have no data, then they won't/can't review it. Also, they don't approve or certify TQs, they only recommend or don't.

I think skepticism is great, you should also apply that to a lot of gear, including the big boy brands, even a lot of gear that is/was used by SOF guys turns out to be not so great. My experience with flux has been very enlightening on that front, talking to the users.

Sounds like you may know this already, but keep in mind that before being recommended, TQs have to be used a lot, the gen 7 CAT, a HUGE improvement over the gen 6, saved thousands of lives before ever being recommended

Some observations:

1) I've never heard of marking TQs with chem lights. It is not only unnecessary, but from the training and operations I e been exposed to it may also be counterproductive as chem-lights are used in patient areas for other purposes.

2) Manufacturer has a blase attitude towards TQ width; they say to go apply a TQ to a foam roller and measure the imprint, and it'll only be 1" wide. Well, okay, let's take that as fact for the point of the conversation...if a 1.5" strap leaves a 1" imprint, meaning only 1" of compression, then what size imprint is a 1" strap leaving? Is there something different about this construction that would allow it to perform equally well as a 1.5" strap? After all, TQs used to be made with 1" straps and migrated to 1.5" after pretty thorough documentation of both lab testing and field studies.

3) Construction of the TQ needs to be thoroughly tested and vouched for before I'd consider carrying it. Life saving gear is not something you toy around with just to "try the new thing", especially something meant for as acute a situation as a TQ is purposed for.

With all that said, I'm very interested in this. An effective TQ the size of Glock 19 mags is super cool to pull off, if possible.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

They are sold out anyway.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

@TGS

Look in their store and you will find a slightly larger but still very compact version in the 1.5" width. But also sold out for now.

If the 1" version is used in urban environments it seems highly unlikely that a situation would arise where the patient is unable to obtain proper medical treatment within a reasonable amount of time, versus the hours and hours that could pass in a battlefield situation... The extra width to help prevent tissue damage is probably not so much of an issue around modern civilization.
    Last edited by GearFondler; 11-07-2022 at 04:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    @TGS

Look in their store and you will find a slightly larger but still very compact version in the 1.5" width. But also sold out for now.

If the 1" version is used in urban environments it seems highly unlikely that a situation would arise where the patient is unable to obtain proper medical treatment within a reasonable amount of time, versus the hours and hours that could pass in a battlefield situation... The extra width to help prevent tissue damage is probably not so much of an issue around modern civilization.
    The extra width isn't just about preventing peripheral neuropathy.

1.5" TQs have more effective occlusion rates.

The issue of portability has been well solved by SWAT-T.

It works well for hemorrhage control and be used for other purposes such as pressure dressings, wraps, etc.

https://www.swat-t.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Maca View Post
    The issue of portability has been well solved by SWAT-T.

It works well for hemorrhage control and be used for other purposes such as pressure dressings, wraps, etc.

https://www.swat-t.com/
    The SWAT-T is best used as a backup TQ or for use on children by others (I.e. active shooter kits at schools). It is NOT the equal of a proper mechanical windlass TQ like the CAT or SOFTW, or alternatives like the SAM or RMT.

1) It's occlusion rates are proven to be below that of a proper mechanical windlass TQ.

2) Parlor tricks excluded, it is impossible to apply one handed.

3) It can be difficult to use even with two hands once it becomes bloodied.

It's functional to a degree, but saying the issue of portability is "well-solved" is not a fair statement when it doesn't "well solve" the primary function of a TQ to begin with.

User Tag List