Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: A new EDC TQ

I think I have one of those in my bag of unused stuff… * runs to check *

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Feedback from the units I bought and passed around, both narrow and wide. Summarized with my words, in no particular order or value assigned unless noted. Some got reminders to consider ETQ in its intended context, not as a direct competitor to others. As expected, this was mostly an issue with those with existing training or product preference.

• Functional as TQ.
    • Better than nothing.
    • Better than some of the elastic options. (Usually followed 1-handed self-applications.)
    • Favorable comments on the QR code, easy to find product video, and the 3 printed lines of instruction.
    • Plenty of reps and applications, tension and duration varied. TQs held up. Hook and loop still good.
    • 1” is too thin, wide is preferred width.
    • "Felt cheap", other comments on overall perception of construction.
    • Glo-stick comments range from indifference to gimmick. A few thought it was some sort of level. Only one user enthusiastic about it. Possibly advantageous if activated prior to an event (training, hit, etc) and if red rather than green.
    • Glo-stick is replaceable, not sure when/why you'd replace it on a single-use item. Instructors recognized it could be replaced on training units for classes/reps, but wouldn't.
    • Windlass “feels small.”
    • Windlass trouble: Gate/clip too tall, got in the way of windlass rotation sometimes. Center of windlass and rotation point is too close to the gate, windlass is too short for best leverage especially one-handed.
    • Windlass trouble: Spring bar inside clip could be pushed down, but sometimes not enough room inside for windlass to clear it and allow it to pop back up.
    • Both windlass troubles exacerbated by the windlass (rolling?) to the left relative to the gate. As it was rotated clockwise the tension band passing through the windlass gathers material underneath, even when strap is properly pulled tight.
    • Because of above, one-handed applications were more complicated/difficult than other similar designs (CAT/SOF/TMT).
    • Some had seen ETQ already, a couple tried to order, but gave up when constantly out of stock.
    • When EDC context considered, not enough smaller/thinner/lighter to replace CATv7 or SOF.
    • No advantage to the ETQ over SOF or CAT when in a kit, pouch, or bag.
    • CAT fans: leave the gate/clip open, make the wings on the top of the gate same size.
    • SOF fans: lots of plastic, plastic used in ETQ is suspect.
    • Common: not necessarily a bad TQ, but “why?”
    • Questions about any tests of durability after longer term heat & cold cycling or extremes such as in a car or on kit.
    • Questions about UV exposure testing.
    • ETQ is same price as known-good SOF and CAT, would consider ETQ if cheaper. Suggested price point of $25 or less.
    • Package a live and trainer combo "value-pack" at $40.

I won't add these to my kits, no gain over my current preferences. I'll use the ETQ wides as trainers and exemplars and see when they appreciably wear or break. I have no use for the narrows.
    Thank you very much for this, lots of really good feedback. For you, or others wondering, the molded parts are from two distinct brand name Zytel nylon blends - the base being flexible around the limb and unbreakable (in all of the insane torture testing we never broke one) and the windlass is made from a much more rigid (high glass fiber fill) Zytel. The base is very similar blend to that of the Glock Frame, and the windlass is closer to the Sig P320 frame (or Raider frame, if you know what that is). If we find better materials, we will upgrade, but these were very carefully chosen for each part, and have proven to be very, very good. We are looking at doing a 65% long glass fiber blend on the windlass, as that may be an upgrade, but we need to do lots of testing to know for sure. We did extreme temperature testing on both ends, and left some out in the sun for a year, although longer term UV testing would have been better. If they are EDC items, they will rarely if ever get UV exposure, but that was still a huge factor in material choice.

The "feels cheap" reaction is less common than the opposite, as the materials, design and construction are high. However, when asked specifically, people always point to the strap being that which feels cheap. Understandable, as our strap is only the hook and loop, without excess material which would make it "feel" more heavy duty, but would do nothing besides add bulk. My co-designer wanted desperately to add a nylon webbing backer specifically because of this, just to make it feel more heavy duty. The hook and loop we use is the same material that most other quality TQ MFGs use.

While it will not be ready for quite some time (have to redo testing even after dev is done), I have been working on gen 2 to make them much easier to use, and improve them in any way we can.

A reminder that the point of the 1" is not to replace any other TQ, but to get those who do not already carry a TQ to start doing so, as people are very often more than 2 minutes (how long a femoral bleed can result in unconsciousness) away from a TQ. Whatever brand you choose, just be prepared to save a life, whether it be yours, your family, or a stranger.

Got this carrier in from Tuffpossum gear. Will see how it pans out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been carrying the ETQ daily ever since I got it. It is unobtrusive, and does not annoy or inconvenience me the way that other TQs did (CAT or SOF-T).

I would highly encourage anyone who does not currently carry a TQ to get one. While you may feel it's lacking in some way compared to other TQs, if you aren't carrying another TQ that is a false comparison. The real comparison would be between the ETQ and whatever TQ you could improvise one handed in 10 or 15 seconds. Think of it as a rule 1 TQ if that helps.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by runngun View Post
    I have been carrying the ETQ daily ever since I got it. It is unobtrusive, and does not annoy or inconvenience me the way that other TQs did (CAT or SOF-T).

I would highly encourage anyone who does not currently carry a TQ to get one. While you may feel it's lacking in some way compared to other TQs, if you aren't carrying another TQ that is a false comparison. The real comparison would be between the ETQ and whatever TQ you could improvise one handed in 10 or 15 seconds. Think of it as a rule 1 TQ if that helps.
    Thanks for bumping this thread, I just ordered two of the wides, one to practice with and one to carry. I have full size TQs but don’t always carry them when I am out and about.

It seems like the company has also increased production capacity to meet demand because the tourniquets are now regularly in stock and available to order. At some point I’ll pick up one or two of the wide version.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Article from Caleb Causey of Lone Star: https://www.lonestarmedics.com/minds...g-medical-gear
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

Quote Originally Posted by runngun View Post
    Think of it as a rule 1 TQ if that helps.
    That’s how I see it too. The LCP of TQs. Nice to have in a pocket on a hot summer’s night while going to see “Oppenheimer” or something. Very useful in that role.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I just ordered 3.

1 for training.

1 each for me and my wife to EDC.

I have 6 SOF-Ts and 6 CATs in my various trauma kits for vehicles and home.

User Tag List