Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Unholy Union of Blade-Tech and Safariland

Can a mod change the thread title to "Blade Tech Tek-Mount" instead of my poor attempt at a clever title so readers can more easily see what this thread is about?

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Just received an email recalling the specific batch mine came from:

Bladetech will be replacing free of charge, and including an extra system for the trouble. Seems to me that is a good way of handling this.

If I were using this for a serious application, I would not be using it until replaced.

For competition use, I'm not the slightest bit concerned, unless a USPSA turtle target decides to perform an "advanced attack" on me while I'm running a stage.

But for you professionals out there, if you have one of these, check your inbox.
    Has anyone received their replacement pieces yet? I have not.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Has anyone received their replacement pieces yet? I have not.
    Not yet. Still using the recalled items without drama- shot USPSA and SC in 12 F weather without any issues.

But I’m not rolling around on the things either.

The system is interesting. It does seem solid. The video I shot of a couple corn fed lads trying to break it wasn't great. Neither the mount nor the holster failed (and I was worried about the holster). I tried to wreck the mount/interface by pulling myself up off the ground using a holstered blue gun. The holster used was an open design, level 1 design from BladeTech rather than a duty rig.

I only had the samples I was given for two days. Never heard back from B-T about getting another batch for a longer eval.

Just got shipping notice for the replacement items (and extra system) from BT. So, it seems they must have resolved the initial issue that led to the recall.

It seems to me that they resolved this pretty well.

Again, I have not had any issues with mine from the recalled batch, but I am not using this for a critical application- or wrestling with any crazy BJJ enthusiasts at USPSA matches.

(so far)

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Just got shipping notice for the replacement items (and extra system) from BT. So, it seems they must have resolved the initial issue that led to the recall.

It seems to me that they resolved this pretty well.

Again, I have not had any issues with mine from the recalled batch, but I am not using this for a critical application- or wrestling with any crazy BJJ enthusiasts at USPSA matches.
    (so far)
    This is a good sign that they are about to be available to order gain. They've been out of stock since those recall notices came out. I'm wanting to change out my QLS attachments for these as soon as they are available again. I imagine they'll make sure to take care of all the early adopters and then make them available on the website again. I appreciate you guys who got them sharing your experience and opinion.

Received my replacement parts from BladeTech. Immediately noticed that the new mounting discs weigh noticeably more- a bit over 100 grains more on my OHAUS scale, compared to the recalled originals. Dimensions appear unchanged.

There appears to be a molded-in non-magnetic metallic plate encased in the polymer, which is absent on the recalled pieces. There are three small points showing in the part that have a bit of metallic glint. The new disc also has far fewer flow lines and is very well finished.

Similarly, the mount itself also appears to have a finer finish, with no appreciable flow lines. I didn't compare the weight yet because the original one is still on my USPSA BOSS hanger. But it definitely feels like a very solid piece, and it's pretty clear that they changed processing.

This thing exudes durability now, and I would be fairly confident they got it right this time.

Personally I think the way they handled it- total replacement of my order and an entire extra unit- was pretty classy.

ETA: Photos. New on the right. Note the metallic "pips" at 2:30, 7:30 and 9:30 on the new production part.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Archer1440; 01-12-2023 at 07:16 PM.

And, upon further examination, the receiver unit also contains the same signs of an in-molded metallic plate similar to the one used in the mounting discs, with a similar small weight increase and no doubt greater strength.

Shots fired...

I can't help but notice that they did not do a "vigorous pull test" on the QLS. Their solution is undoubtedly stronger, but it makes me wonder if it matters.

User Tag List