Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Unholy Union of Blade-Tech and Safariland

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Would you happen to have a link to that event?

See post # 1906 in the LE UOF video thread

Name:  6B9ABC74-28F4-4A47-9BCC-542DED713FCA.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  46.9 KB

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....thread/page191
    Last edited by HCM; 11-07-2022 at 06:32 AM.

Here's my best guess at how the tek-mount works from looking at pictures and watching their videos. I think on the receiver side, the half circle with the small indentions is on a spring-loaded hinge. The disc that goes on the holster overcomes the hinge and causes the little teeth on the disc to mate with the recessed indentions on the hinge, locking it in. There is a "paddle" section underneath the lever that allows the user to depress the spring hinge manually, allowing adjustments to the cant of the holster. The lever on the bottom locks the hinge where it cannot be depressed, locking the holster in position.
    It is potentially a strong design IF the teeth have good engagement when in the locked position, and that lever is not prone to coming undone in normal movement. Blade Tech has not posted how they have tested this aside from making the blanket statement that it is "Duty ready", as opposed to Safariland who spell out the test they do to determine retention level.
    Here my first scenario I'm wondering about. Providing that the mechanism is strong enough to keep an attacker from ripping the holster off of the mount, is it possible for the holster to wind up upside down in the struggle?
    Name:  2022-11-07 15_32_43-Tek-Mount (Quick Connect Mounting System) - Personal - Microsoft​ Edge.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  33.3 KB
    Last edited by stomridertx; 11-07-2022 at 05:02 PM.

First video released, but it looks to be sponsored by Blade Tech. Lip service is paid to how strong it is, but still no demonstration. I don't know why they wouldn't put that forward if unless they are concerned it will fail on camera. I'm talking to a friend of mine who is a DT instructor at the agency I used to work for, and we might purchase one of these and test it in a FoF scenario.

Minor update: I and a few others have been politely engaging Blade-Tech via social media on the need to see video of testing done on this mount. They are using police officers in their promotional video and it's not enough to take their "can withstand 650 lbs of vertical pull force" statement at face value. They have responded that they will be releasing a testing video "soon". Independent testing will also need to be done, but it's a start that they are willing to back up their marketing.

I got some of these pieces in today. Started by mounting a Comp Tac International for a Glock 17. Adds bill over just a Tek Lok.

Name:  6C73D367-2E4C-4105-8FA8-26693FDFBD36.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  42.7 KB

Name:  890756A9-2BBA-479E-86A8-FFD34697A94A.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  47.0 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Got mine in today. It’s composed of a very strong, dense fiber reinforced polymer which appears to be very tough.

Mounting on a Boss hanger, and it is clearly going to be more than adequate for my competition use case of swapping out holsters on one rig. Steel pins are molded into the mount body and the system appears to be robust.

Now, for duty use, I would be concerned about a couple things, such as the secondary lock getting swept off by an impact. Or the possibility of someone failing to properly engage the teeth when mounting. And the list of cautions and disclaimers in the instructions is lengthy.

However, as things of this nature go, it seems to be considerably stronger overall than most Kydex holsters in and of themselves, and seems well designed.

I was handed a good size box of this stuff today and I'll go through it tonight. Opinions to follow.

Just received an email recalling the specific batch mine came from:

"We have discovered that a small batch of Tek-Mount (Quick Connect Mounting Systems) and their corresponding 360 Insert Disks were manufactured at our facility using a batch of material that has displayed inconsistencies and does not meet our strict tolerance standards.

The Tek-Mount and Disks you received were part of this batch of material which has led to failures in extreme testing scenarios. The failures we have seen are rare and have only presented themselves in advanced attack simulations. We have done rigorous testing and are confident in the Tek-Mount’s strength and duty capacity outside of the Tek-Mounts that were produced with the batch of material in question.

We have disposed of all units that were produced from the batch of Tek-Mounts in question, and will be replacing your Tek-Mount Receivers as well as all 360 Insert Disks and Safariland Adapters over the next few weeks. We will also be sending you an additional Tek-Mount - Quick Connect Mounting system free of charge for the inconvenience we have caused, we sincerely apologize.

We ask that you discontinue use and dispose of your Tek-Mount Receiver and all corresponding 360 Insert Disks.

Bladetech will be replacing free of charge, and including an extra system for the trouble. Seems to me that is a good way of handling this.

If I were using this for a serious application, I would not be using it until replaced.

For competition use, I'm not the slightest bit concerned, unless a USPSA turtle target decides to perform an "advanced attack" on me while I'm running a stage.

But for you professionals out there, if you have one of these, check your inbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Just received an email recalling the specific batch mine came from:

Bladetech will be replacing free of charge, and including an extra system for the trouble. Seems to me that is a good way of handling this.

If I were using this for a serious application, I would not be using it until replaced.

For competition use, I'm not the slightest bit concerned, unless a USPSA turtle target decides to perform an "advanced attack" on me while I'm running a stage.

But for you professionals out there, if you have one of these, check your inbox.
    I just received the same email. I have a rig that has a holster for the G17 and 365 Macro with me now to shoot with Darryl later. Hopefully I don't get into a FUT with him.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

That information tracks with the sudden out of stock status of all versions of the tek-mount on the Blade Tech website. The above release to their customers actually shows me they are taking the durability of the system seriously and intend to release a product rated for duty use. It also proves that they are testing its effectiveness against an adversary in house and not just relying on the material strength specifications of the polymer they are using. In my opinion, they are handling this professionally and correctly.
    I think once the corrected version shows in stock I'll go ahead and buy into the system. I'm interested in the cant adjustment to get a straight drop on Safariland holsters without investing in the aluminum adapters out there or putting the QLS at a weird angle.

User Tag List