Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tinnitus

Tinnitus

Theres been a fair bit of discussion about tinnitus here in the past, i saw something recently that had some interesting info in the discussion I was not aware of about causes and things that can affect it. I thought some here may find it interesting.

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/u...et-up.1595917/
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    Just read the thread....interesting. The biggest takeaways I got were that stress is a big cause of tinnitus, as are certain medications. There's a link to a list of otoxic medications from the Sound Relief Hearing Center in one of the posts probaby 3/4 of the way down the thread.

I've been wearing foam earplugs pretty much daily for the last 20 years. If I stop and think about it, I can hear a small but constant whine in my ear, and I don't remember a time when I ever was in perfect silence. But it's such a 'background' type of noise that I tune it out and it's never affected me in any way of which I'm aware.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I was having it come and go, and it got enough to be annoying a couple years ago. I'm a "plugs and muffs" kind of guy, so it was both surprising and concerning. Went and got my hearing checked. They said it's fine; test tech said, "Your hearing is better than mine." Yes, it can be caused by things other than hearing loss.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

It's our own white noise.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    Just read the thread....interesting. The biggest takeaways I got were that stress is a big cause of tinnitus, as are certain medications. There's a link to a list of otoxic medications from the Sound Relief Hearing Center in one of the posts probaby 3/4 of the way down the thread.

I've been wearing foam earplugs pretty much daily for the last 20 years. If I stop and think about it, I can hear a small but constant whine in my ear, and I don't remember a time when I ever was in perfect silence. But it's such a 'background' type of noise that I tune it out and it's never affected me in any way of which I'm aware.

Yes, this is some of what caught my attention. Tinnitus has a strong negative affect on some people, knowing its more complex than simply loud noise exposure, and that some things can help mitigate it to a degree may be helpful or encouraging.

Mine came on gradually, and is no doubt from loud noise, shooting a lot when young without hearing protection as well as loud motorcycles and chain saws etc. Its pretty annoying at times, but I recently realized there are times its less pronounced than others, this was an interesting development and one If like to look into more to see if I can mitigate it some on a more regular basis.

There are a couple youtube vids about the sounds of tinnitus, when a couple of the individual tones or frequencies come on I can barely or not here them, I believe thats the frequency mine is at. When I play that for other people they are a bit aghast, asking if I have to listen to that all time time. Yep, pretty much, but life goes on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rT2Q82Q1E4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-HLy4Goxps
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Yes, this is some of what caught my attention. Tinnitus has a strong negative affect on some people, knowing its more complex than simply loud noise exposure, and that some things can help mitigate it to a degree may be helpful or encouraging.

Mine came on gradually, and is no doubt from loud noise, shooting a lot when young without hearing protection as well as loud motorcycles and chain saws etc. Its pretty annoying at times, but I recently realized there are times its less pronounced than others, this was an interesting development and one If like to look into more to see if I can mitigate it some on a more regular basis.

There are a couple youtube vids about the sounds of tinnitus, when a couple of the individual tones or frequencies come on I can barely or not here them, I believe thats the frequency mine is at. When I play that for other people they are a bit aghast, asking if I have to listen to that all time time. Yep, pretty much, but life goes on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rT2Q82Q1E4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-HLy4Goxps
    I watched both of those videos, and...are all those sounds supposed to be the same volume? Like you, there was one on each video that prompted me to crank the volume, because I barely heard anything...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mac View Post
    I watched both of those videos, and...are all those sounds supposed to be the same volume? Like you, there was one on each video that prompted me to crank the volume, because I barely heard anything...
    I suspect they are the same volume. When I played them on my laptop for someone else in the room, they reacted and were dismayed i couldnt hear it well or at all, to them it was as loud as the others and very irritating.

Im in the midwest part time, out dog walking with a friend, I asked if the cicadas were going, she reacted "'You cant hear them?!!!" "Well, sort of, but Im not sure". To her they were loud. Cicadas seem to be a similar frequency to my tinnitus, but a different (lower) tone. Im sort of-kind of aware there may be cicadas going, but not positive. Sounds in either the frequency or pitch range as my tinnitus is pretty hard to hear, if i can hear them at all.
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    A lot of people don't realize that any motorcycle riding at highway speeds without earpro will damage hearing over time and possibly lead to tinnitus. It probably contributed to mine, along with several other factors. In my experience stress won't cause tinnitus but will certainly make it worse. Which leads to more stress, which leads to... well you get it.

Tinnitus truly sucks, especially during the early years of living with it. It took me several years to come to terms with it but I have mostly habituated. That is really the only option for now.

For anyone else who might read this (bunch of shooters here) and who has recently developed tinnitus, hang in there. Habituation seems impossible at first but there is hope and you can learn to live with it over time.

Name:  FB_IMG_1654340829527.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  43.7 KB
    Guaranteed to move the tinnitus to the High Warble setting.

Because I was a mechanic for 35+ years, the use of air tools and hammers did me in. Sirens in the fire truck didn't help a bit either.
    I've been hearing the ring for close to 15 years now. Been to Dr.'s, tests, ect...I gots it.

And yes, the hearing test is a strange experience. I have no high frequency left in either ear. My right ear is about 70%.

...And the motorcycle[s]. Open face helmet and pipes for a while. I bought a pair of those plugs you can wear at a loud event and still hear stuff, and use them on the bike now, always.

Faders

All I can do is try to prevent it from getting worse, but the damage is done. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiing.........
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

User Tag List