Thread: Need help with LEOSA ID card language

Need help with LEOSA ID card language

I know there was a thread discussing the LEOSA language on ID cards and what the best practices was for ID cards for retirees. I just spoke with our new chief and he is very receptive to both adding the LEOSA HR218 language on ID cards and qualifications for retirees unlike our old chief. He asked that I send him the best language and now I cannot find that thread. Any help much appreciated

I don't think there is any recognized standard verbiage. Our retired/LEOSA ID cards are identical to active duty picture IDs, with "Retired [rank]" on the front and "Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act 2004" on the back, with expiration date. I don't think it really needs to be more elaborate than that; I suppose you could add the federal statute number, but it's clear enough that it's a LEOSA card (doubling as retired ID). We go to HR after the qual, get a new picture taken and they print the card out on the spot.

Site Supporter
    As long as it meets the statutory requirements, it's good to go. I don't think an explicit reference to LEOSA is a requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by US Congress

(d) The identification required by this subsection is—

(1) a photographic identification issued by the agency from which the individual separated from service as a law enforcement officer that identifies the person as having been employed as a police officer or law enforcement officer and indicates that the individual has, not less recently than one year before the date the individual is carrying the concealed firearm, been tested or otherwise found by the agency to meet the active duty standards for qualification in firearms training as established by the agency to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm; or

(2)

(A) a photographic identification issued by the agency from which the individual separated from service as a law enforcement officer that identifies the person as having been employed as a police officer or law enforcement officer; and

(B) a certification issued by the State in which the individual resides or by a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within that State that indicates that the individual has, not less than 1 year before the date the individual is carrying the concealed firearm, been tested or otherwise found by the State or a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within that State to have met—

(I) the active duty standards for qualification in firearms training, as established by the State, to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm; or

(II) if the State has not established such standards, standards set by any law enforcement agency within that State to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm.

Although not required having language such as" The card bearer meets the criteria for LEOSA HR 218; Retired with 10 years or more of police powers of arrest and retired in good standing" is along the lines of what I am looking for and was discussed in the thread that I can no longer find. I think it was related to federal officers.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    Although not required having language such as" The card bearer meets the criteria for LEOSA HR 218; Retired with 10 years or more of police powers of arrest and retired in good standing" is along the lines of what I am looking for and was discussed in the thread that I can no longer find. I think it was related to federal officers.
    Fair enough. I can’t really think of a situation in which that language would make the difference between an arrest and no arrest, especially since interpreting that language would require some knowledge of the statute, and some knowledge of the statute should obviate the need for that language, since it isn’t legally required. But, it probably can’t hurt!

Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    While certainly not required, some departments do include reference to LEOSA2004 on retirement IDs.

My retiring agency does so with the language "Compliant with 18 USC §926C" located on the back of our retirement IDs.

It's a nice touch, in my opinion.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

On the front, same as the full time ID cards, name and Retired Sergeant between the badge and photo. Below that it reads Retired Peace Officer.

The back says "This person is an honorably retired peace officer, California CCW approved, and is a Qualified Law Enforcement Officer pursuant to 18 USC 926C if accompanied by a letter of qualification."

HTH

Site Supporter
    Ours are identical to active but just says “retired “

As there is no consistent standard it is possible by the definition of the statute to use any ID that shows you were a certified officer

I still have all of my ID’s after 20 years

User Tag List