Thread: Spin on one vs. two eyes with irons

Spin on one vs. two eyes with irons

Looking for some feedback on the following:
    Background: I've mentioned else where that I don't have binocular vision, shoot right-handed and right eye dominant. I've always shot irons with both eyes open and since right eye cataract surgery 5+ years ago my dominant eye vision is excellent. A year ago I finally had cataract surgery on my left eye with excellent results.

I've started to notice that during transitions my visual focus will sometimes shift to my left eye which really affects target acquisition and sight alignment - takes a conscious effort to switch to my right eye. I believe this is partially the result of prescriptions with left eye distance focus and right eye out at about 1 meter. Appears that my aged brain is switching to the eye with the better acuity. So, I'm experimenting with squinting which appears to have little downside shooting steel challenge with irons; might not be the case in the more generally tactical (or USPSA) environment. I would definitely not go as far as blacking out the left lens although I might experiment with same in the interest of data collection. If anyone with relevant experience, knowledge, or opinion would like to chime in I'd much appreciate.

Why don't you change the right eye prescription to distance and the left eye to 1 meter?

I am right hand left eye dominant. I always close my right eye or I will see two targets and two sets of sights. This has not been a problem at all in idpa. I do have a pair of glasses where the entire left lens is focused at front sight distance. This works very well. I got them fairly cheaply because I had gotten new glasses in Sept and then my employer changed insurance carriers effective Jan1 so I got my shooting glasses the next Feb.

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Suggs View Post
    Why don't you change the right eye prescription to distance and the left eye to 1 meter?
    I'm shooting with my right eye. The sights become a bit fuzzy with distance focus. I use high transmission lenses (clear or Brown #2) to stop my pupils down and increase depth of field. I could go with the same focus on my left eye and that might keep my brain from switching to what it perceives to be the "better" eye. I won't do that until I've done a bit more experimentation with squinting or closing the left eye.

You mention increasing depth of field. Have you come across this?
    http://www.meritcorporation.com/
    You can try the concept w/ a piece of black tape that you put a 1/16inch hole in. I used electrical tape and a pin or paper clip I heat in a match flame. I know this sounds a bit gross but prepare a couple of pieces of tape and go to the range. Cover the sticky side w/ saliva and stick it on your glasses lens. Slide it around to get it oriented so your normal head position has the gun centered in the small hole. I am pretty sure you will be amazed. Sight and target both in focus? YES, they are. I used this piece that I made from kydex for several years before I got my shooting glasses. This was an experimental one so I could try two hole sizes.
    Name:  Merrit eypiece clone.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  63.6 KB

User Tag List