Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Share you best low down dirty poker self defense technique!!

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Looks like what I do when I ask my dog what they're eating and they start chewing faster...

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
    Made me actually LOL, so thanks for that.

Site Supporter
    In the movies, when someone hears a noise, they go to clear with the fireplace poker or the kitchen chef's knife. Does someone offer a class on responding to psycho killers and monsters with such improvised weapons. Sometimes the golf club.

I do recall an episode of I Love Lucy, where Lucy and Ricky were going to buy a home in the country and somehow at night, wandering into the wrong house to check it out. The homeowners in PJ's came down the stairs (man and wife) with pump, sporting guns! Luckily, the Ricardos survived.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Does someone offer a class on responding to psycho killers and monsters with such improvised weapons. Sometimes the golf club.
    Psycho killer? Qu'est-ce que c'est?
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Site Supporter
    Qu'est-ce que c'est?

Young dude dressed as his old mother who tries to slice you up in the shower. Can you defend yourself with soap on a rope? Don't make me remember my college French, that was a bad experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Psycho killer? Qu'est-ce que c'est?
    Run, run, run, run, run, run, run away
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Qu'est-ce que c'est?

Young dude dressed as his old mother who tries to slice you up in the shower. Can you defend yourself with soap on a rope? Don't make me remember my college French, that was a bad experience.

" La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    1. Being sober.

2. Being armed.

3. Staying aware of my surroundings while recognizing that anyone can be surprised.

4. Staying physically fit.

5. Avoiding stupid people, stupid places, and stupid things.

6. Dealing with and diagnosing the intentions of unknown contacts at a distance (thank you SouthNarc).

7. Training in proper technique, timing, decision making, etc. (Cecil Burch has pointed out that someone with good skills can get up to speed on a dirty trick very quickly, but someone with dirty tricks cannot acquire skill with the same speed).

8. Being a good runner for when that is appropriate.
    Brother, those aren't low-down dirty tricks, those are a way of life. That's normal shit right there.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    Brother, those aren't low-down dirty tricks, those are a way of life. That's normal shit right there.
    Yes, and unlike many dirty tricks, it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    I always though that the head-butt would be a handy trick to have up your sleeve, but I have no idea how to find a "qualified instructor" or how to train it.
    I have only ever done it one way: essentially an ab crunch, while standing. To the best of my recollection, every instance was when I was working the door at this one bar that would reliably erupt into violence. I was pretty young, I'm not saying this was a good idea or anything. That's just what happened.

I have seen it done several ways. One guy did a slight crouch and speared the other guy like the old school football move, but in the face. It was pretty brutal.

The craziest one I ever saw was a guy in a verbal confrontation that looked like it was about to go hands-on who said "fuck this" and turned as if to walk away, then took a really fast half-step backwards and snapped his head back into the guy who he had correctly guessed (I think) was reaching forward to grab him from behind. He cut his head pretty badly, I'm not sure exactly how, but the guy he hit was levelled. He turned back around and started laying his boots into the guy on the ground and that's when we pulled him off.

I would never have expected a spinning reverse headbutt to work, but then I did once drop a guy in the ring with a spinning backfist and I honestly didn't think it would have much effect either. I was just going for style but man, apparently a lot of momentum when those connect.

I don't have a bunch of ring fights to my name or anything, I only fought a few times so don't infer too much from my commentary. I was never all that good, either.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Yes, and unlike many dirty tricks, it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I happen to know that's a fact!

User Tag List