Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 30 super carry: I woke up wondering…

30 super carry: I woke up wondering…

If S&W could fit 6 rounds of moon-clipped 30 SC into the 640 pro envelope. My sense is that it’s absolutely doable, given a physical dimension comparison with .327 fed mag. But is it worth doing?

I dunno. What do you all say? Aside from the fact that I dislike revolvers that are as loud as an AR at the rear end (which includes the full-house .327Fed), the idea has some merit for a J-frame lifer. At the least, the concept appeals to those who like 9mm revolvers—and would jump at a 6th round.

Maybe Ruger will tool up a 30 super LCR.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I live on the progressive side of the great state of Washington

Many dealers don’t have any thing in 30 SC

The ones that do have told me zero interest by patrons

Gun shops over here have pallets of 9 mm for 280 a case sitting on their floors

I think Smith and Wesson is going to need to figure out how to sell the 30 SC shields they built so far before they decide to build a low-volume $700 revolver in a new caliber. But who knows?

I am in the market for another J frame size piece, so I check stores frequently and I almost never see a 9 mm LCR I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a 327.

The 22 LCR’s may sell cause I don’t see any but the thousand dollar ultralight J frames in 22 just sit

My guess is gun store people are burnt out on guns by the time they get home so they don’t follow trending things like patrons of PF do.

If the 30 Sc had come out when all of the compact shield type guns had hit the market it might’ve had a chance but once you have a shield and four holsters and 10 magazines and a shit ton of ammo, what motivation is there to go by a new caliber, that that’s far has been wholly untested

Don’t know if it’s possible, but the necked down 380 that would have worked in a small, semi automatic pistol probably would’ve been very popular

Sorry for ranting about what I think is an idiotic cartridge especially when federal was focused on that instead of building 9 mm, 40 and 45 and 38 during the last couple years

That would be perfect for the front pocket of your skinny jeans.

You could conceal moon-clipped reloads in your man bun

@Totem Polar we are all going to be dual wielding revolvers with cap and action bans… what’s old is new again!

Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    That would be perfect for the front pocket of your skinny jeans.

You could conceal moon-clipped reloads in your man bun
    Just about spit out my avocado toast onto the keyboard. Well played.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Can I use beard oil to lube a revolver? (asking for a friend)

In all seriousness..

I have the same concern as I have for 9mm revolvers:

1) Rounds jumping crimp. Maybe that's less of a concern with a lighter bullet? OTH, the last shot is subjected to 5 acceleration events vs. 4.

2) Carrying moon clips.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Sorry for ranting about what I think is an idiotic cartridge especially when federal was focused on that instead of building 9 mm, 40 and 45 and 38 during the last couple years

Federal teased a mid-velocity 154 Grain HST load for .357 Magnum over a year ago. So far it's vaporware.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I would love to see .30 SC in a revolver.

I also believe @jetfire has said it would be interesting in a revolver…
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

I like the concept of a sixth round, obviously.

Here in the State of Mind known as Jefferson, I have yet to see 30 SC, either as a firearm on a shelf or as a box of ammo. I guess we're not trend setters here. I do see a lot of 327 LCR's at multiple LGS (as recently as yesterday), and a fair number of 22 J-frames and LCR's. I'll make it a point to ask the proprietors how those are selling next time.

It would be nice if the Vista Outdoors monopoly would focus on making some 38 sp instead of inventing new things and adding to the hight of the wall of unsold 9mm and 556/223. You know, like give the customers what they want? Not that I expect an anti-trust investigation of the ammo industry under this administration, but maybe someday? OK, enough cynicism for now, I was out really late last night and need to go find another cup of coffee on this rainy day...

The LGS owner loves 30 SC, and shows them to every customer looking for something new. They stock the ammo and pistols, but I haven’t seen anyone buy them. A 30 SC revolver could be an even tougher sale.

User Tag List