Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grips for S&W L frame M-69.

For handling the magnum recoil, the Hogue tamers are absolutely the way to go. The VZs are beautiful and ergonomic-but the G10 isn't going to absorb an iota of recoil...For one or two cylinders, they'll likely be fine, though.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    I'm gonna quote myself just because it's easier.

I really want to like these but, they are just the tiniest bit too small. They would be great on a CC gun but that is not my intention. Also, the front seam is really soft and when preforming reloads, the seam pulls open and becomes uneven. Detrimental? No. Annoying as fuck? Hell yes.

In the best interest of the grips, I am going to forgo the dremel and off these up to whoever wants them. They are used from ebay so there is already some wear and a tiny tear on the bottom.

I also have a brand-new set of Houge no finger groove rubbers if anyone wants them.
    I've put several sets of L/K frame Pachmyers on an N frame and when they fit like yours I heat them, and work them into proper position. They've stayed there for me.

That other problem with the seam separating at reloads, I couldn't live with that, but with enough heat they'll go where they don't wanna go at room temp. My experience with Pachmyer Grippers is they will rip at the top left where the thumb wraps around after a certain number of rounds on a harsh recoiling gun. May not be an issue with a steel gun. I like the "Gripper" profile, but I also like the Hogue Monogrip and they last longer for me.

For me on this gun, its more about the profile than material. The wide flattish back like the GP100 Letts is what I'm striving for.

The factory grips came to a sharpish narrow oval on the back, think small end of an egg and that makes them painful.

The Pachmayers are like a pair of shoes that are the slightest amount of too small. They have the wider flattish back I'm looking for. They feel great at first but after a few minutes you realize something is not quite right. I could live with that if it weren't for the soft rubber giving way. I haven't given up on them yet, maybe a little heat or Dremel work and tiny wee bit of stickum could fix the moving issue.

I have yet to find a set of Hogues that weren't way too skinny for me. I have a brand new one sitting here that I ordered in thinking it would be different this time.

The Altamont KUs are acceptable, no real complaints also no real pluses.

Still to try,
    Altamont Altai and Bateleur. Maybe Falconia

Pachmayr Grippers

Something from VZ

Site Supporter

The Altamont KUs are acceptable, no real complaints also no real pluses.

Still to try,
    Altamont Altai and Bateleur. Maybe Falconia

Pachmayr Grippers

Something from VZ
    This will sound counterintuitive since the Pachmayr Grippers cover the Backstrap, but the Gripper Professionals with the UNCOVERED Backstrap are WIDER at the back end and may, depending on your hand shape, transmit LESS recoil to your hand than the regular Grippers do...Might be worth investigating...

Quote Originally Posted by mikey357 View Post
    This will sound counterintuitive since the Pachmayr Grippers cover the Backstrap, but the Gripper Professionals with the UNCOVERED Backstrap are WIDER at the back end and may, depending on your hand shape, transmit LESS recoil to your hand than the regular Grippers do...Might be worth investigating...

Unfortunately, I cannot find Professionals listed for a round butt Smith. I have them on my 3 inch Python and understand the difference.

Site Supporter
    Unfortunately, I cannot find Professionals listed for a round butt Smith. I have them on my 3 inch Python and understand the difference.
    Maybe try the SB Gripper Pro's? They'll fit your RB Frame okay with just a little area at the bottom back where the Grip will be "Proud" of the Frame--Hardly noticeable unless you know it's there...

The latest set of Altamont's from Gun Broker, conversion targets. Wide and smooth across the back, recoil feels very Python like if a Python was a.44 Mag. Speed loaders clear.

The enemy of good is perfection and these feel damn good, but I still want to try the Altai even though I think they are the Targets with a rounded off bottom.

Name:  0670D6C4-B68E-46C9-A8DC-93957913DE64.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  56.8 KB

Another set of VZ’s! These feel great,but I haven’t shot it yet. So, we’ll see..

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I have a couple sets of these X-Frame Hogue grips and they are pretty comfortable.

I think these are what Jerry Miculek was using on his revolvers when the major load revolver recoil started getting to his hands.

Hogues

The hogue grips for the Smith 500 for perfectly on the model 69. And if you look at them, there is quite a bit of extra material on them. I belt sand off the finger grooves and lots of the base. Gets them down to a packable size yet the cushion protects the base of my thumb. I have thousands of rounds through mine with the majority being a 250 grain Keith solid and the 235 grain hollow point version. Velocity is 1200 with the solid. Haven’t chronographed the hollow point load.
    Unfortunately my hands are 68 years old and have endured piles of heavy sixgun loads. Ron Avery told me years ago I would end up shooting just 1911’s because of wear and tear. He is correct as usual. I miss his wisdom and wit

User Tag List