Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A la carte AR builders

Quote Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
    These kinds of projects are usually best done by a local smith. If there isn't one, ADCO firearms has a decent reputation.
    I wouldn't. My experience with them wasn't bad but JT @ RAW has done jobs for me that were far cleaner, faster, and for less money than ADCO.

Quote Originally Posted by CoGT3 View Post
    Can second d.wilson.

Have also used Alex Bohl at Trajectory arms. He pulled an original Larue barrel from an OBR upper and moved it to one of their newer upper/Mlok rails. Kicker was barrel had rifle extension which he reshaped to M4, on a thermal fit upper.

Third recommendation is Steve Adelman at Citizen Arms. He had built me 12.5 and pinned 13.9 556 uppers using Crierion CORE barrels that shoot sun MOA with Wolf gold as well as a complete pinned 13.7 308. Real pleasure to work with, long wait times though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Did you post one of those Core's on the FCD FB group years ago? Those groups look familiar...

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post

Did you post one of those Core's on the FCD FB group years ago? Those groups look familiar...
    Guilty as charged. They have aged well.

Quote Originally Posted by CoGT3 View Post
    Guilty as charged. They have aged well.

That was a big driving force in my interest in the Core. Took me forever to get one and I haven't been shooting much since I moved a few months ago so I've really only zero'd my 12.5. Within the next month or so I should have my full optics setup on it and start shooting it more hopefully. It should be my true one-gun solution.

I have a 13.9 CORE and it's been great. Went through a recent NV class without fault, and the profile helped balance out a front heavy (laser, light, switches, etc) rifle. Currently I only know of Ripcord and ADM offering factory installed Criterion barrels in their uppers

I'm itching to be able to give some feedback/recommendation but I'm on week 11 of the waiting game with Trajectory Arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlier View Post
    I'm itching to be able to give some feedback/recommendation but I'm on week 11 of the waiting game with Trajectory Arms.
    And that is the other issue, the ones we want to use are in high demand made worse by a weak supply chain. Most of them are smaller shops and just can’t get parts at the same rate as larger manufacturers. I had to wait for 2-3 months for my Trajectory Arms works and that was a while ago. My builds done by Citizen Arms have been sometime planned a year ahead due to demand on his time as well as waiting for barrels/bcgs etc. But in each case the wait has been worth it for ARs that I would use to defend my family with. I’ve built some myself for fun but at this point they are range guns, any of them for any potential hard work/defense have been built/rebuilt by trusted individuals.

BTW, hit the range earlier today to play around with a new to me 3x magnifier. 12.5 CORE still gets the work done with Wolf Gold. Nothing fancy, at a bench with front bag only.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    John Thomas @ Retro Arms Works is the best. d. Wilson is a solid second.

However I don’t know of any, including them, that will steer you on parts selection. That’s probably best done here and elsewhere, usually those guys don’t like risking providing feedback to their customers because people suck.

Seconding RetroArms Works. I've sent him several uppers for work over the years. Pricing is exceedingly reasonable. Work is FAST (as in, turned around in <48hr, often same day). Professionalism is second to none.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
    These kinds of projects are usually best done by a local smith. If there isn't one, ADCO firearms has a decent reputation.
    I learned about Adco at M4C last year. Since then they have done outstanding work for me. I recommend them, for what it's worth.

I’m a twice certified AR Armorer through Will Larson’s (RIP) Semper Paratus course. When I send my guns out for work (barrel cutting or pin/weld) I use Steve at ADCO.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

User Tag List