Thread: What Stocks are these?

What Stocks are these?

I saw this image posted by Barranti Leather and I like the stocks on this Smith. I am guessing they are Herrets, but I am not sure.

Name:  What stocks.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  100.1 KB

Those look just like the Herrets on my Colt .357.

Site Supporter
    Herret Shooting Stars if memory serves me correctly. I have an old pair on my stocks & grips shelf.

Dave

They could be Herretts. That said, there were some called Sile grips from Italy that were a less expensive copy of many of Herretts designs that were produced. They may be Sile grips that were sold by CDNN a few years back. As I recall they were rather inexpensive, and a good number of unscrupulous gun dealers and people in the gun world were swapping out original S&W factory grips, and Herretts grips with the Siles. Lots of people thought they were buying original S&W factory grips or Herretts but instead were getting the $20 Sile grips.

Good point, but to me that walnut looks too pretty to be Siles, or newer Herretts for that matter. The Siles I've seen were pretty plain, as are the relatively new Herretts I have on a Redhawk. My guess is those are fairly old Herretts.
    Last edited by OfficeCat; 11-02-2022 at 04:54 PM.

FWIW Herrett's Shooting Stars, checkered. Have several pairs.

Herrett and a dang good looking Berns-Martin front draw holster!

Quote Originally Posted by OfficeCat View Post
    Good point, but to me that walnut looks too pretty to be Siles, or newer Herretts for that matter. The Siles I've seen were pretty plain, as are the relatively new Herretts I have on a Redhawk. My guess is those are fairly old Herretts.
    I agree.

My post was purely one so guys who may not be aware of the Sile grips are made aware of them. Unfortunately there are no shortage of shady people in the gun biz who will scam people at the first opportunity.

Have I told you that I happen to have General George Armstrong Custer's 1911 that he used at the Little Big Horn?

I discovered it back in WW-Nam, fightin' the French and Indians.

I was driving my Humvee up the Ho Chi Minh trail, when I ran into General Lee and General Tso. They were trading Garbage Pail Kids stickers for New Kids on the Block mix tapes. I offered General Tso some Dillo Dust, a Marky Mark poster and a Gen 5 Glock for General George Armstrong Custer's 1911.

He agreed, so now I have it. Honest.

Did I mention, that it was a matched set?

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I agree.

My post was purely one so guys who may not be aware of the Sile grips are made aware of them. Unfortunately there are no shortage of shady people in the gun biz who will scam people at the first opportunity.
    I totally got that and tried to word my post so as to not to sound like I was being critical or calling your observation into question, just trying to add my own observation that once you've seen a few Siles and Herretts, there are ways to tell them apart. Of course neither of them are as nice as the ones that were hand-carved by Elmer Keith on the Model 19 I have that used to belong to Skeeter Skelton....

User Tag List