Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Hard-Use AR15s in 2022?

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    $1,500 for what? The rifle itself and you can add accessories (at least an optic) and ammo outside that budget? Or $1,500 is all the money you’re going to be able to put into it for quite some time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    $1500 for the rifle itself not including ammo, training or accessories. I have the means to also budget for the training & accessories. I am pursuing debt freedom and $1500 seemed the responsible amount I could dedicate to the weapon itself while remaining on track for financial goals.

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    For $1500 a Colt 6960 and an Aimpoint Pro would be very difficult to beat. Budget another $115 for a 10-pack of Gen 3 Pmags, then $50-60 for a sling of your choice and you're set. Add a weaponlight later on if you feel you need one.

Thank you! I will look into the 6960.
    “Archer not arrow. No such thing as a perfect pistol. Until you commit to being a better archer, you’ll keep hunting for a better arrow.”

-JCN

Quote Originally Posted by Mercworx View Post
    $1500 for the rifle itself not including ammo, training or accessories. I have the means to also budget for the training & accessories. I am pursuing debt freedom and $1500 seemed the responsible amount I could dedicate to the weapon itself while remaining on track for financial goals.

Thank you! I will look into the 6960.
    I’ve pitched BCM a bunch in this thread and this is a great budget for them. Are you tied to a complete gun or open to separate upper and lower?

Haven’t caught up on every page but.

As a beginner does this change the selection criteria at all? I would like to attend some classes next year and intended to use the rifle as a home defense tool. As of now I am only budgeted for one rifle. I can afford around $1500 but at my skill level (virtually non existent) is that level investment even needed? Can something like a M&P Sport II hold up to a couple classes a year at most? Or do ARs fall under the “buy once cry once” rule?
    You can get a Colt 6960 for $999. That will leave almost 1/3 of your budget available for lights, sights, and a sling. Maybe you’ll be able to find a slightly better deal around Black Friday weekend, but I don’t know how much better. A Proctor Sling is probably the lowest price decent sling you can buy. It works as is without the need to buy QD hardware. Others have already talked about lights and sights. I’ve got one of the Primary Arms Aimpoint Micro clones mounted to a 12ga Beretta 1301 and it hadn’t died on me yet. They aren’t as nice as my Aimpoints but they seem serviceable enough for classes and home defense. A Holosun would probably be the next level up.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

You can also buy 6960 from Dahlone Armory to save on taxes. I purchased a number of firearms from them. Fast shipping and some of the best prices.
    Frankly Sport II would probably work "just as well". But I would rather get the Colt.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I’ve pitched BCM a bunch in this thread and this is a great budget for them. Are you tied to a complete gun or open to separate upper and lower?

I’m open to a separate upper and lower though I think I’d need them to both be complete as I’ve never built an AR before.
    “Archer not arrow. No such thing as a perfect pistol. Until you commit to being a better archer, you’ll keep hunting for a better arrow.”

-JCN

You might also find a deal on forums. Random posting from AR15 - CR6940

Best Hard-Use AR15s in 2022?

I’m open to a separate upper and lower though I think I’d need them to both be complete as I’ve never built an AR before.
    That opens up tons of options then.

The 6960 will work and probably the best bang for your buck.

https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-stan...-13-handguard/

This would be my number one for an upper. Add the BCM BCG, 4x4 ambi charging handle, and MBUS sights and you’ve got a really nice upper. The BFH and/or MK2 are additional upgrade options but may be dabbling in the realm of beyond your pallet, as referenced in your OP.

You can usually get the upper cheaper from their dealers.

The lower has far less peculiarity but below is an easy, in stock answer. I like tan furniture and prefer their SOPMOD stock but those are personal preference and easily changed. Their new MK2 recoil mitigation system is a slight variation to the buffer assembly and I’d jump on that equally as fast.

https://www.rainierarms.com/bcm-lowe...0-stock-black/

Last edited by Wake27; 11-13-2022 at 05:50 PM.

Thank you all for the recommendations and info. Looking into it now and I expect to make a purchase this week.

-JCN

Thank you all for the recommendations and info. Looking into it now and I expect to make a purchase this week.
    Mentioned up thread but I would have no issues buying used off of Tacswap or AR15.com, as long as the member has good feedback. I sell stuff all the time because I’m anal and there are definitely deals out there.

I'm thankful for all the great info provided so far in this thread, as well as the thoughtful questions posed by other users.

Right now I'm leaning towards the DD M4v9, I think. Though just getting a 6920, a thousand rounds, and a few trips to the range to vet it is a little tempting and a practical option. But hey, I've never owned a midlength before.

User Tag List