Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Hard-Use AR15s in 2022?

Quote Originally Posted by c_rion View Post
    LOL, mmmhhmmm. "WANT something more than a 6920 with a quad rail". Okay. Well if a crappy Colt just won't work for you and your mission set and you just have to have it.....
    0600 moderator comment (before I head off to a NODS carbine/pistol course with my LMT Mk18 and BCM 11.5 ELW, and no 6920s): this post has received multiple complaints because it's snarky for no good reason. Let's keep this thread alive by discussing the merits of hard-use AR-15s, M'Kay?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    What if I just like it, want it, and can afford it?
    Then by all means buy it. Those are all valid reasons to buy anything you want in this country. However, the notion that a 6920 is so outdated and pedestrian that it is practically useless, and you must upgrade to a gun for ninjas doing ninja things to have any street cred at the range or when shooting meth heads in your house is just silly. Hence the snark. And seeing as this is not an airport, Ill take my cue now. You know what to do.

Then by all means buy it. Those are all valid reasons to buy anything you want in this country. However, the notion that a 6920 is so outdated and pedestrian that it is practically useless, and you must upgrade to a gun for ninjas doing ninja things to have any street cred at the range or when shooting meth heads in your house is just silly. Hence the snark. And seeing as this is not an airport, Ill take my cue now. You know what to do.
    No one in this thread even came close to saying that the 6920 was “so outdated and pedestrian that it is practically useless.” It just sounds like a lot of people these days prefer rifles with mid-length has systems and free floating hand guards. You can prefer different things but don’t go around arguing against statements no one but you made.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    No one in this thread even came close to saying that the 6920 was “so outdated and pedestrian that it is practically useless.” It just sounds like a lot of people these days prefer rifles with mid-length has systems and free floating hand guards. You can prefer different things but don’t go around arguing against statements no one but you made.
    Thats what the thread is all about. Read the OPs responses. The the kid who started the thread talked about his range trip, getting flak for his "retro setup". I tried to give the kid some honest guidance. Some cat jumped in with some Oppositional defiance, I returned the favor. Little bit of thin skin and here we are.

Since I haven't been locked yet, I will make my last reply to you. The more and more I interact with "gun people", especially on the internet, the less and less I like "gun people". Perhaps thats a clue. To me.
    Last edited by c_rion; 11-12-2022 at 09:58 AM.

Thats what the thread is all about. Read the OPs responses. The the kid who started the thread talked about his range trip, getting flak for his "retro setup". I tried to give the kid some honest guidance. Some cat jumped in with some Oppositional defiance, I returned the favor. Little bit of thin skin and here we are.

Since I haven't been locked yet, I will make my last reply to you. The more and more I interact with "gun people", especially on the internet, the less and less I like "gun people". Perhaps thats a clue. To me.
    Literally nobody in this thread has said any of the things you're purporting to have been said to SwampDweller.

I think between this thread and the other, people have been bending over backwards trying to "accommodate" you and the only person with thin skin, acting like a douchecanoe in return, has been you.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I wasn't even aware there was any tension. I appreciated your guidance. I don't for a second believe that my LE6920 is "outdated". It's vetted to be reliable and accurate, and can accommodate the few accessories I like on a carbine (light, red dot, sling). I'd just like to branch out a bit. I only have one AR carbine these days and I like to have at least 2 somewhat similar copies of what might be a defensive firearm. The part about the range trip was more of a funny little anecdote than the actual reason I'm looking for a new rifle.

Just getting another Colt and a bunch of ammo is a practical solution, but I just want to try something new.

Site Supporter

A few points:

-I know 30 year old 'kids' that are E7's with four deployments. Calling a 30 year old you've never met a 'kid' is just talking smack. If you're enough older to justify seeing 30 year olds as 'kids', maybe you should conduct yourself like a grown ass man worth listening to.

-You could make the 'ammo and practice for better software & don't stress so much about hardware' point without attacking someone for wanting good hardware.
    If you'd spend more time around here, you'd see our default setting for gun advice is buy a simple proven no frills option (usually a Glock 19) and then buy good support gear and take classes and buy ammo. So you're basically singing hymns we've already sung, and this whole conversation and thread is built on the premise of 'With the obvious ammo/training/support gear' hymn having been sung. Just because you're late/unaware/etc and missed it doesn't mean that baseline point hasn't been made.
    He didn't start this thread with 'I have $1500 and want to buy and a AR and get some skill', where spending more money on ammo and training would be a solid distinction to make over a $1400 rifle, a $60 airshit optic, two spare mags, and a box of ammo.

Final point, especially towards your apparent experience with getting such a reception elsewhere, is best explained by Raylan Givens:

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    A few points:

-I know 30 year old 'kids' that are E7's with four deployments. Calling a 30 year old you've never met a 'kid' is just talking smack. If you're enough older to justify seeing 30 year olds as 'kids', maybe you should conduct yourself like a grown ass man worth listening to.

-You could make the 'ammo and practice for better software & don't stress so much about hardware' point without attacking someone for wanting good hardware.
    If you'd spend more time around here, you'd see our default setting for gun advice is buy a simple proven no frills option (usually a Glock 19) and then buy good support gear and take classes and buy ammo. So you're basically singing hymns we've already sung, and this whole conversation and thread is built on the premise of 'With the obvious ammo/training/support gear' hymn having been sung. Just because you're late/unaware/etc and missed it doesn't mean that baseline point hasn't been made.
    He didn't start this thread with 'I have $1500 and want to buy and a AR and get some skill', where spending more money on ammo and training would be a solid distinction to make over a $1400 rifle, a $60 airshit optic, two spare mags, and a box of ammo.

Final point, especially towards your apparent experience with getting such a reception elsewhere, is best explained by Raylan Givens:
    I don't mind being called a kid. Gotta enjoy being young while I can, cause I can feel it slipping away quickly. But yes, he doesn't know what I've done in life. No big deal.
    Last edited by SwampDweller; 11-12-2022 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The M4 TDP only applies to M4s. The M27 has its own completely separate TDP based on what HK submitted to the M27 IAR trials.

Top tier barrels from DD, FN, and HK do, in fact produce improved performance including better accuracy, and better durability, in this instance meaning longer usable barrel life. Some of those barrels produce higher velocity as well.
    I know that HK barrels are made out of steel from Aubert & Duval since a long time.

This PDF is interesting: As I understand it, 32CrMoV12-10 (ARMAD®) is their hottest shit.
    aubertduval.com/wp-media/uploads/2022/01/BD_fiche-petits-calibres_012022.pdf:
    The development of new ammunitions with increased pressure and
    temperature in the chamber and barrel has been the driving force to
    improve mechanical properties at elevated temperature and resistance
    to wear during firing. ARMAD® steel grade has been developed for these
    purposes aiming at higher mechanical properties up to 650°C without
    impairing ductility and toughness.
    And this is interesting, too:
    thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/05/07/m27-iar-not-right-rifle-marine-corps:
    The M4 Carbine’s barrel is made of the same 4150 steel (a low grade chome-molybdenium steel) that has been the military standard since World War II. In the M4, this steel is button rifled, heat treated to between 277 and 331 Brinell (approximately 28-36 Rockwell C) and then chrome-lined. With the M27, in contrast, the barrel is made of high chromium content Aubert & Duval chrome-molybdenum-vanadium steel, cold hammer forged to give a tapered bore, and heat treated to 41 Rockwell C, then chrome lined. These material characteristics, especially the heat treat, give the barrel exceptional life and accuracy, and it is easily this factor which is most attractive about the M27.
    PS:
    Picture from inside the HK factory. This is how the steel bars look when they arrive:

Name:  Stahl von Aubert & Duval.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  65.9 KB
    Last edited by P30; 11-12-2022 at 05:14 PM.

One "fantasy" consideration for the "end of the world" rifle - should it be able to handle worst ammo possible? As mentioned earlier since I still have a few thousand rounds of steel case, I prefer my rifles being able to handle that. If needed, I can pop in a heavier buffer when shooting ammo at proper/spec pressures.
    Given the overall quality of most brand name rifles, for me it comes down to "what looks coolest". I may still get the new DD RIS III in a 14.5" or 16" as I already have DD MK18 and Geissele 10.3 URGI complete uppers built into SBRs.
    Earlier this year, I got 6920 OEM 2 at $750 and BCM 13" rail at $120. This rifle runs everything.

User Tag List