Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Hard-Use AR15s in 2022?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by O4L View Post
    Interesting info.

I recently bought a slightly used complete AERO AR15, so if I replaced the LPK with a premium brand it would be good to go?

Thanks.
    No. Their receivers and barrels (ballistic advantage) are good to go but all the other stuff that they don’t make is questionable. They’ve also had issues with improper assembly.

Everyone has their own definition of good to go, but for me complete Aero guns or complete Aero receivers are range use / PSA equivalent.

Ben Steoger has been shooting a couple Aero ARs pretty hard during development work for his adoptive rifle book. However, he’s only using them at the range and he recently broke a firing pin.

I’ve seen assembly related issues with gas blocks and gas tubes in arrow guns and I’ve seen some issues with their buffers self-destructing at fairly low round counts.

Site Supporter
    Re: Aero guns:

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    No. Their receivers and barrels (ballistic advantage) are good to go but all the other stuff that they don’t make is questionable. They’ve also had issues with improper assembly.

Everyone has their own definition of good to go, but for me complete Aero guns or complete Aero receivers are range use / PSA equivalent.

Ben Steoger has been shooting a couple Aero ARs pretty hard during development work for his adoptive rifle book. However, he’s only using them at the range and he recently broke a firing pin.

I’ve seen assembly related issues with gas blocks and gas tubes in arrow guns and I’ve seen some issues with their buffers self-destructing at fairly low round counts.
    How did the buffers fail?

I have some Aero uppers with Geissele BCGs in them, and the gas systems seem solid, so I’m feeling pretty confident so far, but I am running an Aero H3 buffer in one (300 BLK), so want to know what to watch for.
    Or, I could just swap in a Geissele H3 buffer that I have on hand.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Re: Aero guns:

How did the buffers fail?

I have some Aero uppers with Geissele BCGs in them, and the gas systems seem solid, so I’m feeling pretty confident so far, but I am running an Aero H3 buffer in one (300 BLK), so want to know what to watch for.
    Or, I could just swap in a Geissele H3 buffer that I have on hand.
    Essentially disintegrated at the back where the rubber tip and roll pin are. Appeared to be a materials / QC issue.

Quote Originally Posted by usmc_k9_vet View Post
    Any love for PWS and Lantac? Curious to hear user’s thoughts on those two brands.

I’m also an LWRC fan as I’ve had great success with one of their piston guns (14.5” pinned) and their DI (16” kind of annoying proprietary rail, would prefer MLOK).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LWRCi now offers multiple MLOK rail styles for their DI rifles to replace the older proprietary rail.

https://www.lwrci.com/DI-Direct-Impi...arts_c_27.html

I dig the LWCI rails; with their extended length upper receiver that the rail screws into instead of the barrel nut, it's sort of a 'semi monolithic.' Would love to see if it makes a difference in terms of preventing laser shift compared to a normal handguard mount.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar

I'm actually pretty happy with their handguards too. I still own one assembled 11.5" Aero upper that was once-over'd by a smith when I sent it to have the GB pinned.

It's overgassed for sure but that's my only complaint. Of note the BCG is a Bootleg adjustable (it won't run a Turbo K w/o one) and not an Aero. I am not sure I would trust those, and don't really want to spend the $100 on an AGB for an upper i bought for about $300 total.

Otherwise though it's a quite adequate wolf hose and I have not had any failures in ~2k rounds. BCG is set to one off suppressed and it runs everything. Great bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    LWRCi now offers multiple MLOK rail styles for their DI rifles to replace the older proprietary rail.

https://www.lwrci.com/DI-Direct-Impi...arts_c_27.html

I dig the LWCI rails; with their extended length upper receiver that the rail screws into instead of the barrel nut, it's sort of a 'semi monolithic.' Would love to see if it makes a difference in terms of preventing laser shift compared to a normal handguard mount.
    Cool stuff. Thanks for this info. I may look into getting one sometime in the future. I’ve got the gun set up pretty well for the time being, but MLOK might be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Instagram @usmc_k9_vet
    Guncrafter Industries: NN LW CCO 9mm Nighthawk: Talon .45, GRP Double Stack 9mm, Predator T5 9mm Volkmann Precision: Combat Carry 9mm Wilson Combat: 92G Brig Tac, 92G CC

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I'm actually pretty happy with their handguards too. I still own one assembled 11.5" Aero upper that was once-over'd by a smith when I sent it to have the GB pinned.

It's overgassed for sure but that's my only complaint. Of note the BCG is a Bootleg adjustable (it won't run a Turbo K w/o one) and not an Aero. I am not sure I would trust those, and don't really want to spend the $100 on an AGB for an upper i bought for about $300 total.

Otherwise though it's a quite adequate wolf hose and I have not had any failures in ~2k rounds. BCG is set to one off suppressed and it runs everything. Great bargain.
    The key to Aero stuff seems to be the stuff they make in house is ok, but they go cheap on everything else.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    The key to Aero stuff seems to be the stuff they make in house is ok, but they go cheap on everything else.
    Yeah fortunately none of the small parts in my upper seem to have any issues but they are less likely to be an issue anyway. I built a bunch of my ARs using their enhanced lowers which compare pretty favorably vs others in the same price range. The machining is very nicely done and the finish is durable and evenly applied. I like their enhanced lower features (integrated trigger guard, threaded bolt catch pin) that are subtle but dramatically simplify assembly. That said I used CMMG lower parts kits and Centurion BCGs for a reason.

For assembled budget uppers I think there are better options. I still have a pair of rifles with uppers from DSG Arms that use comparable parts (BA barrels, BCM handguards though I think they've moved to in-house handguards since) but were well assembled and have functioned great without modification.

I may have missed it but is anyone in the know on POF AR15s?

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

Just an update on my final decision. I ended up ordering a Daniel Defense M4v9 (16" midlength gas w/ 15" quad rail). Some day I'll try out M-lok, but today is not that day. Looking forward to getting and shooting my new rifle!

User Tag List