Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Hard-Use AR15s in 2022?

Quote Originally Posted by RONK View Post
    Thank you SwampDweller and all the contributors to the thread.Regarding Daniel Defense is the consensus that the quad rail is stronger than the RIS III rail?Comparing 14.5" vs 16" is there any appreciable difference in performance?thank you all again.
    I don't think anyone has tested the RIS III against the RIS II, so nobody can say one way or the other. However, DD's goal was to make the RIS III the modern MLOK-version successor to the RIS II, and thus be the strongest MLOK rail on the market just as the RIS II was regarded as being the most durable quad rail available.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Someone up thread said something to the effect that DD wasn’t “premium”. For me, 2x the base is “premium” and like you at that point it pony up the 3x for this.

Attachment 97051
    KAC is what I run but I bought mine lightly used for less than what a new DD goes for. It also comes with a better trigger, a really nice set of sights, and mine is one of the most accurate ARs that I have ever shot. The intermediate gas system and improved bolt is a nice feature as well.

That said, you'll need to run quality ammo in them. The 16" guns were built to run full 5.56 / Mk 262 so don't expect it to run steel cased ammo. I typically run a mid charged 223 reload with 55 grain bullets, or a hot 77 grain load, and have had no issues.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    KAC is what I run but I bought mine lightly used for less than what a new DD goes for. It also comes with a better trigger, a really nice set of sights, and mine is one of the most accurate ARs that I have ever shot. The intermediate gas system and improved bolt is a nice feature as well.

That said, you'll need to run quality ammo in them. The 16" guns were built to run full 5.56 / Mk 262 so don't expect it to run steel cased ammo. I typically run a mid charged 223 reload with 55 grain bullets, or a hot 77 grain load, and have had no issues.
    Yup. I ran a Mod1 upper on a colt lower for a looong time. It was darn smooth, and reliable. and more accurate than me. I sold it this year to a buddy, and almost instantly regretted it

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post

I'm fairly familiar with their offerings, having had the pleasure of them loaning one of (I think 3 T&E guns) back in 2007. Other than some external features, as I understand it not much has changed internally since then.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Someone up thread said something to the effect that DD wasn’t “premium”. For me, 2x the base is “premium” and like you at that point it pony up the 3x for this.

Attachment 97051
    If you can find a KAC and if you do find one it's going to run you $3500-$4k.

KAC guns, including used ones, essentially doubled from 2020 to 2022.

They're great guns though. KAC is a defense contractor first and foremost. Their availability is driven by how busy they are fulfilling MIL/GOV orders, which they consider their primary customers. They're not wrong, KAC makes and sells a lot more than just rifles.

DD's prices got a bit silly for a while but they have been settling back into the $1500 to $1800 range.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I don't think anyone has tested the RIS III against the RIS II, so nobody can say one way or the other. However, DD's goal was to make the RIS III the modern MLOK-version successor to the RIS II, and thus be the strongest MLOK rail on the market just as the RIS II was regarded as being the most durable quad rail available.
    My SRT guys have RIS III rails. These are the guys who killed 3 P320s during our RDS testing by slamming mags in so hard they bent ejectors despite using proper mags/basepads.

Those Gorillas have had zero issues with the RIS III.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    DD's prices got a bit silly for a while but they have been settling back into the $1500 to $1800 range.
    Which from my quick look around is barely more than BCM, while also not being eternally out of stock.

Even more, I was outright shocked that I could find the Colt 6960 in stock when Rob mentioned it a few pages back.

Site Supporter
    Which from my quick look around is barely more than BCM, while also not being eternally out of stock.

Even more, I was outright shocked that I could find the Colt 6960 in stock when Rob mentioned it a few pages back.
    No, 6960s are a little hard to find. There are some good deals on Colt 6920 OEM models right now - $750ish if you catch them right. That's usually the price point right before Colt stops selling ARs until the prices go back up...

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    My SRT guys have RIS III rails. These are the guys who killed 3 P320s during our RDS testing by slamming mags in so hard they bent ejectors despite using proper mags/basepads.

Those Gorillas have had zero issues with the RIS III.
    What was the previous MLOK rail they had on their 11.5" guns? What was the reason they switched? Were they running into durability issues?

Your KAC rail was replaced in the SOPMOD program by the RIS II before you were even of age to legally buy that gun, and even KeyMod came out 10 years ago when you would've been about 20. There's no way it was cutting edge when you built that gun unless you were a middle schooler and your dad was buying it for you.
    Maybe "cutting edge" isn't the right pair of words. But it was as cutting edge as was at least somewhat obtainable at that particular time (at least what I could find). And yeah, I saved up the money from my farming job and gave it to my dad, he bought it and kept possession of it (though we frequently went out with it together on the farm to shoot) for the year before I turned 18. At the time I was going after the look that my cousin's M4 had in Iraq. It didn't really occur to me that I was so behind the times until someone called my LE6920 a "retro build." I didn't even build it, it was just a factory LE6920 that I put a RAS on.

Then they went gaga over the "RESTRICTED" markings, which at the time I got it I thought of as a nasty reminder of the AWB.

I do remember when Keymod came out, I was working part time at a gun store at that time in college. I never really thought much of it's merits and cynically thought of it as a way for accessories manufacturers to sell more gadgets because most accessories at the time required a keymod specific accessory or a 1913 rail section.

User Tag List