Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Hard-Use AR15s in 2022?

Best Hard-Use AR15s in 2022?

Looking for another AR to add to the lineup as a dedicated go-to rifle. Home defense, classes, and potentially scenarios where it will be run hard in training. In the past, many times a decade or more ago, I've seen SME's such as @DocGKR recommend manufacturers such as Colt, BCM, LaRue, and LMT. I am curious where this all stands in 2022. I seem to remember some complaints of BCM barrels having substandard accuracy and flaking chrome lining on an ar15 forum, and I do remember on this forum circa 2014 or so there were some gripes with Daniel Defense QC issues. In said thread, DocGKR stated: "Which vendors have contracts with government entities and use the TDP--that is a good clue..."

As far as I know, only Colt is able to use the TDP in the manufacture of their commercial rifles, and FN is not allowed to even produce their commercial ARs in the same plant as their military contract rifles using the TDP. I know Daniel Defense does have some contracts for barrels for the URGI (maybe uppers? not sure) and for sure rails. I was looking at the Daniel Defense M4A1 with the RIS II rail, even as I know quad rails have fallen out of favor. I've seen people often say that today's Colts are not on the same level as they were a decade ago. Other than a recall on some trigger groups I haven't heard of any issues, but as I understand it most of the parts are outsourced now and don't have the same inspection markings they did back when they were the primary supplier of M4s for the military.

Apparently LMT uses semi-auto carriers and carbine weight buffers in their commercial rifles, not sure if that's a detriment or not. I know KAC is also looked highly upon in general, but I'm not interested in the proprietary parts, not to mention they're not in stock anywhere.

My rule of thumb is what manufacturers' rifles hold up best in high round count classes and similar scenarios where they get run hard. I haven't been to carbine classes recently, if anyone has been able to make any observations at some, I'd appreciate any data as well as from any SME's that happen to see this thread.

Thank you.

I only have a BCG from them, but I've heard good things about Sons Of Liberty Gun Works

SOLGW
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

The "problem" with SoLGW from a specs perspective is that they don't do chrome lined barrels, only stainless steel or else nitrided. Some folks are fine with that, so not necessarily a real issue, but if you're one of those who still strongly prefer chrome-lined and/or CHF over nitrided, it's something to know. Other than that, their rifles are great. They've had some CS issues in the past, but haven't heard much about any issues recently.

I would also consider BCM, Colt, DD, and Sionics for no-frills, out-of-the-box. LMT does still ships with S/A carriers, and I believe they still use CAR buffers. That being said, replacing those are pretty easy.

Fairly new and interesting to me with minimal proprietary small parts would be the Colt M5 and DD RIII series. That being said, I personally like to just pick my own parts and have a reputable smith assemble the parts.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 11-02-2022 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I would also consider BCM, Colt, DD, and Sionics for no-frills, out-of-the-box. LMT does still ships with S/A carriers, and I believe they still use CAR buffers. That being said, replacing those are pretty easy.

Fairly new and interesting to me with minimal proprietary small parts would be the Colt M5 and DD R3 series.

That being said, I personally like to just pick my own parts and have a reputable smith assemble the parts.
    Pretty much this. My primary rifle is a ten year old 6920 with a Geissele rail and a shaved front sight. I recently took my backup rifle to a class. It's a Colt with a Criterion barrel and a Geissle rail. We went through about 1200 rounds in the two days. I didn't oil the rifle for probably 500 rounds before the class, and not during the class either. It ran great, as expected.
    Last edited by theJanitor; 11-02-2022 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Looking for another AR to add to the lineup as a dedicated go-to rifle. Home defense, classes, and potentially scenarios where it will be run hard in training. In the past, many times a decade or more ago, I've seen SME's such as @DocGKR recommend manufacturers such as Colt, BCM, LaRue, and LMT. I am curious where this all stands in 2022. I seem to remember some complaints of BCM barrels having substandard accuracy and flaking chrome lining on an ar15 forum, and I do remember on this forum circa 2014 or so there were some gripes with Daniel Defense QC issues. In said thread, DocGKR stated: "Which vendors have contracts with government entities and use the TDP--that is a good clue..."
    Part of the "problem" with 2022 is the multitude of different AR15s used by the various government entities, and the lack of one uniform TDP. It's not 2005, and almost everyone besides "Big Army" is using something other than the Colt M4 TDP....so you can't really apply mid-GWOT rules of thumb to current day. I write "Big Army", because the M4 in the configuration you think of when writing "M4 TDP" hasn't been the primary arm in use by USASOC for years, as an example. What traditional M4s are in use today are largely legacy guns that are holdovers from older purchases 5, 10, even 15 years ago.....generally not something being actively procured. On the military side, it's also been years since Crane did their study and proved that midlength systems are superior to carbine systems. So, I guess what I'm saying is that adhering to the M4 TDP will get you a functional gun......but you can do better, and virtually everyone is.

Colt, Geissele, Daniel Defense, LWRC, BCM, and HK are all in large scale use by institutional users in various configurations that do not adhere to the M4 TDP. Many of the components in regular use today did not even exist when that M4 TDP advice became a thing, or even in 2014 when DocGKR made that statement. The more important thing is to pick out what rifle setup suits your needs, then pick quality components; a 10.3" Daniel Defense barrel from 2017 is not the equal of the Daniel Defense 10.3" barrel in 2019, for instance.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Colt, Sionics, SOLGW and Centurion Arms are solid options .

BCM, Colt, or Sionics.

Define hard use?

What is the purpose primarily for the rifle?

Problems in “classes” without any other parameters are often based on maintenance and skill of the user not the tool.

A $600 M&P sport II can run well and long (in my experience)

Ammo and mags can be a huge factor

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    The "problem" with SoLGW from a specs perspective is that they don't do chrome lined barrels, only stainless steel or else nitrided. Some folks are fine with that, so not necessarily a real issue, but if you're one of those who still strongly prefer chrome-lined and/or CHF over nitrided, it's something to know. Other than that, their rifles are great. They've had some CS issues in the past, but haven't heard much about any issues recently.

Fairly new and interesting to me with minimal proprietary small parts would be the Colt M5 and DD RIII series. That being said, I personally like to just pick my own parts and have a reputable smith assemble the parts.
    Chrome lined barrel is definitely a requirement for me. I’m also not a fan of the logos you have to pick from on their rifles. I don’t want anything that could even be construed as political.

User Tag List