Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Hard-Use AR15s in 2022?

I really think I have it narrowed down between:
    -Daniel Defense (either M4A1 carbine gas 14.5" or M4 RIS III 16" midlength gas)
    -LMT MRP (would prefer the full length rail version but that's unobtanium and I found a good deal on the regular MRP)

If I had the money on hand I would simply get both, and I just might end up with both. In which case I'd have to decide which to get first. Right now there's the regular Mlok MRP (with exposed pinned gas block) available on sale. But I like the looks of the DD better.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    IME H and H2 buffers work better with actual 5.56 pressure ammo mitigating BCG speed in carbine and mid length guns. A BCG moving too fast both increases wear and extraction/ ejection issues. It’s not just the feel of the recoil impulse. You can see it in the consistency of ejection.
    Heavier buffers also provide more mass going forward to aid in feeding when the gun is dirty and/or inadequately lubed.
    Colt 6920s come with H buffers. Ok for a semi auto with .223 pressure ammo. Change ammo or add a suppressor and H2 can be optimal.
    The DOD phased out H buffers beginning in 2004. Actual M4 /M4A1s come with H2s.
    You mentioned you mostly shoot Wolf / steel case. The issue with this ammo is it’s under powered even by .223 standards.
    It’s fine for range use but a gun optimized for Wolf is over gassed for use with actual 5.56 ammo much less something hotter like M855A1.
    Keep in mind there is a lot of commercial ammo marked as “5.56” that is actually .223 pressure / velocity.
    That's interesting to read. I have a 2012 6920- would it be a good thing to swap to a H2 buffer, as I typically run Hornaday 75grn 5.56?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

One of the beauties of the LMT MRP is if you really like it long term you will see some stripped MRP uppers pop up for in the longer configuration. Barrel swap is super easy. Then drop the original MRP upper on a pistol lower and take your pick of 10.5, 11.5, or 12.5 barrel assembly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    That's interesting to read. I have a 2012 6920- would it be a good thing to swap to a H2 buffer, as I typically run Hornaday 75grn 5.56?
    If it’s an actual 5.56 pressure load - yes.

As mentioned - 5.56 on the box doesn’t necessarily equal actual 5.56 pressure /velocity.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    If it’s an actual 5.56 pressure load - yes.

As mentioned - 5.56 on the box doesn’t necessarily equal actual 5.56 pressure /velocity.
    Thanks- it looks like a proper 5.56 compared to the 75 grn .223 (2910 fps vs 2790 fps according to Hornaday).
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    I really think I have it narrowed down between:
    -Daniel Defense (either M4A1 carbine gas 14.5" or M4 RIS III 16" midlength gas)
    -LMT MRP (would prefer the full length rail version but that's unobtanium and I found a good deal on the regular MRP)

If I had the money on hand I would simply get both, and I just might end up with both. In which case I'd have to decide which to get first. Right now there's the regular Mlok MRP (with exposed pinned gas block) available on sale. But I like the looks of the DD better.
    Since you're still heavily considering LMT and price doesn't seem to be a significant driving factor, is there a reason you haven't considered KAC more?

Site Supporter
    What institutional users are using DD, LWRC, and BCM? I'm aware off DD and Geissele rails being used, but not complete rifles or uppers. I'm kind of out of the loop on what's in use by the "high speed low drag" guys in terms of manufacturer of rifles/uppers.
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Great questions.

Off the top of my head:

USSS: KAC SR16
    DSS: Daniel Defense Mk18 (not just a RIS II on a Colt shorty)
    PFPA: LWRC M6
    USMC: HK416 (M4 only for service/support, likely a financial decision to use up leftover M4s)
    CBP: legacy M4s floating around, but some BCM 11.5" guns and the Geissele 11.5" was just announced as their new official rifle

That's just off the top of my head after 10pm. I'm sure there's more I'm either not thinking of or just haven't kept up with.
    Do you know if there are any non-MK18 (14.5") Daniel Defense rifles in use by government entities?
    Just confirmed with a friend that DD gets issued to MARSOC in “several lengths” (I forgot to ask for details - he did mention they have SCAR heavies too) as well as some 416s. As far as the regular Marines, I just checked the armory and we have Colt M4s and FN M16A4s. The HK416 replaced the M249s in our Weapons Companies/ Plts, and there’s still a small amount of Colt M16A2s getting replaced by new FN A4s. We’re still issuing M9s with PMO and a chosen few getting the M18s.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Just confirmed with a friend that DD gets issued to MARSOC in “several lengths” (I forgot to ask for details - he did mention they have SCAR heavies too) as well as some 416s. As far as the regular Marines, I just checked the armory and we have Colt M4s and FN M16A4s. The HK416 replaced the M249s in our Weapons Companies/ Plts, and there’s still a small amount of Colt M16A2s getting replaced by new FN A4s. We’re still issuing M9s with PMO and a chosen few getting the M18s.
    Great info, thanks. If you happen to get to ask him about it again, think you could ask what barrel and gas system lengths? I knew MARSOC and others used DD rails and maybe barrels, but didn’t know they did complete uppers or rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    MARSOC does interesting things with weapons even for SOF. Badger posted a photo the other day of a Gus that had an LPVO in their C1 mount on it. Straight gangster.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    MARSOC does interesting things with weapons even for SOF. Badger posted a photo the other day of a Gus that had an LPVO in their C1 mount on it. Straight gangster.
    Truth; I bought my Bushnell HDMR on the recommendation of one of their snipers. He said they were purchasing them off the shelf and taking them in country to use. Sometimes even over the S&B issued.

User Tag List