Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast

Thread: Best Hard-Use AR15s in 2022?

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Just an update on my final decision. I ended up ordering a Daniel Defense M4v9 (16" midlength gas w/ 15" quad rail). Some day I'll try out M-lok, but today is not that day. Looking forward to getting and shooting my new rifle!

Why the 15" rail?

Thats a lot of extra rail and extra weight especially in a quad.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    Why the 15" rail?

No particular reason. I found a really good deal on it through my job. I was gonna go with the RIS III but this kinda fell into my lap. The DDM4 quad rail is still lighter than my M16A4 upper with KAC M5 RAS.

Site Supporter
    OP, congrats! I’m looking at DD as well, so let me know what you think.

All, what’s the 14.5 version of the DD M4 V7?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    OP, congrats! I’m looking at DD as well, so let me know what you think.

All, what’s the 14.5 version of the DD M4 V7?
    The V7 SLW

https://danieldefense.com/ddm4-v7slw.html

No particular reason. I found a really good deal on it through my job. I was gonna go with the RIS III but this kinda fell into my lap. The DDM4 quad rail is still lighter than my M16A4 upper with KAC M5 RAS.
    You'll be fine with what you chose. That's a solid rail and will serve you well.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    Why the 15" rail?

Among other things, it appears that if you filter the DD rifle listing page for midlength gas, picatinny hand guard, and 5.56, that’s the only option.

https://danieldefense.com/rifles/ar-15-rifles.html

https://danieldefense.com/rifles/ar-...gas_system=102

If you include carbine-length gas
    https://danieldefense.com/rifles/ar-...system=102,101
    You get at least one marginally more sensible option, but it then has (a) a carbine length gas system (which will get you ridiculed on the internet) and (b) a 14.5” barrel with pinned muzzle device (which, ironically, will seemingly NOT get you ridiculed on the internet, despite being rather pointless).

I would personally love to see the handguard from the DDM4A1 installed on the DDM4V9 (which seems like it’d be an easy enough swap?). Or, as much as I prefer the picatinny as well, I might opt for the DD4 RIII as I like a little exposed barrel.

Name:  93B8FB32-A4AB-4FC2-ADC6-4AE73983DC3D.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  42.3 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Among other things, it appears that if you filter the DD rifle listing page for midlength gas, picatinny hand guard, and 5.56, that’s the only option.

https://danieldefense.com/rifles/ar-15-rifles.html

https://danieldefense.com/rifles/ar-...gas_system=102

If you include carbine-length gas
    https://danieldefense.com/rifles/ar-...system=102,101
    You get at least one marginally more sensible option, but it then has (a) a carbine length gas system (which will get you ridiculed on the internet) and (b) a 14.5” barrel with pinned muzzle device (which, ironically, will seemingly NOT get you ridiculed on the internet, despite being rather pointless).

I would personally love to see the handguard from the DDM4A1 installed on the DDM4V9 (which seems like it’d be an easy enough swap?). Or, as much as I prefer the picatinny as well, I might opt for the DD4 RIII as I like a little exposed barrel.
    ]
    I've never understood the ridicule for carbine length gas on the internet. On some certain forums with the way it's talked about, you'd think the guns are jammomatics and borderline useless. Sure, midlength may be more appropriate for such barrel lengths, but a well-made carbine gas gun with a proper spec gas port will just run and run, and they have done so for decades with great reliability. I ordered the midlength to try it out and receive the benefits observed during testing, but if all I could have were 14.5" or 16" carbine gas rifles, I wouldn't sweat it. My old Colt LE6920 has been incredibly reliable and accurate.

Also, I thought I was the only one who still has a preference for picatinny. Wouldn't mind trying the RIS III at some point, though. I think part of why I managed to find a v9 at a pretty good price was because picatinny doesn't sell like it used to. I'm good with that.

ETA: I like the idea of the M4A1 RIS II handguard on the V9. Gives you the toughest handguard available on a 16" midlength gas gun. I might have to consider that down the road, but more than likely I'd keep the v9 as it is and get another rifle to do that to.
    Last edited by SwampDweller; 11-21-2022 at 08:25 AM.

ETA: I like the idea of the M4A1 RIS II handguard on the V9. Gives you the toughest handguard available on a 16" midlength gas gun. I might have to consider that down the road, but more than likely I'd keep the v9 as it is and get another rifle to do that to.
    My first thought was “get a complete uppper” but DD doesn’t even have any 16in picatinny 5.56 uppers listed. Two 14.5s, a 10.3, and an 18, but no 16.

https://danieldefense.com/uppers.htm...ing_system=391

Only 16in mid-length are with the full-length Brazilian handguard, although one is then”lw” which is intriguing.
    https://danieldefense.com/uppers.htm...gas_system=102
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I've never understood the ridicule for carbine length gas on the internet. On some certain forums with the way it's talked about, you'd think the guns are jammomatics and borderline useless. Sure, midlength may be more appropriate for such barrel lengths, but a well-made carbine gas gun with a proper spec gas port will just run and run, and they have done so for decades with great reliability. I ordered the midlength to try it out and receive the benefits observed during testing, but if all I could have were 14.5" or 16" carbine gas rifles, I wouldn't sweat it. My old Colt LE6920 has been incredibly reliable and accurate.

Also, I thought I was the only one who still has a preference for picatinny. Wouldn't mind trying the RIS III at some point, though. I think part of why I managed to find a v9 at a pretty good price was because picatinny doesn't sell like it used to. I'm good with that.

No ridicule from me on the carbine length system, I still have one but rarely run it anymore. I'm not going to get into the argument of which is better but I like the recoil pulse of a midlength system over a carbine system. I've also never had to worry about H buffers, extractor springs, o-rings, etc with a middy. I will say that if you are running steel cased or lower powered 223 ammo, the carbine length seems to be more suited to that.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    I got a DDM4v9 LW because it checked a couple of boxes that were important to me and apparently not many others. On the other hand, a some of my compadres who bought "more practical" AR's in the same timeframe have traded them away, or changed rails, or what have you, while I keep being satisfied with my choice.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

User Tag List