Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: I love Glocks… or what’s old is new again.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Especially this last one, it balances the trade off of sport versus carry better than almost anything out there.
    @JCN Which Glock are you referring to? It appears that you've had a few...lol.
    Last edited by Exiledviking; 11-01-2022 at 01:06 PM.

While I owned handguns as soon as a I was of age, I didn't start to shoot and train with service caliber handguns regularly until ~2008.

My first new handgun at that time was a 1st Gen M&P, which taught me that S&W has a habit of making shotguns that only masquerade as handguns.

I went from there to Glocks. A Glock 17 specifically to start. I went through a phase of buying each new service-type pistol that came out from 2008 - 2015 or so, looking for an edge, but always came back to the Glock(s) in the end. Having shot well into six figures with them now, I begrudgingly accept I can shoot them as well as I can shoot anything, if based on objective criteria.

Since I quit shooting for ~5 years, I recently re-started a test and evaluate cycle of all the 9mm options I didn't try from 2015-on, but honestly picking up a Gen 5 Glock and shooting it back to back with the other guns I have, it's hard to find anything out there that balances shoot-ability with practicality as well. While it may be boring, I need to accept a Gen 5 Glock is probably my nirvana, until they make a Gen 6. Accurate out of the box, with a shootable trigger, boringly reliable and no need for other additions except sights of choice.

I have this large LGS I love and it loves me. So back in that 2010-2015 range (who can say when a geezer is 'membering) I was trading in another striker gun I tried out, for another Glock one of the good guys running the counter said he had this idea for a program.

A Glock shooter comes in to buy the latest "Glock killer" and instead of buying the new $600 pistol, he just pays the store $100 and keeps shooting their Glock and they come out ahead.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Been riding the Glock train over 30 years.
    No plans to get off.

Site Supporter
    Gen 2 G19 in 1994. Kept it till 2019 when it became a G4 G19. A G5 MOS is the latest baby. 3rd Gen G26 for EDC, if we ever get that back in NYS.

My first handgun ever was a Glock 26 in 2016.
    Second handgun was a G34 MOS with RMR in 2016.

Went on an educational journey and bought and tried everything under the sun.

Now I’m back to Glocks and seeing them in a different light.

Things I really appreciate:
    1. Caliber interchangeable slides and frames.
    2. Aftermarket support for slides, holsters, barrels, small parts
    3. Great balance of speed versus shootability.

Especially this last one, it balances the trade off of sport versus carry better than almost anything out there.

So took me 6 years, but I appreciate where I started from more now.

As an aside, the Stippletec kit opened up a lot of functional customization options for me. Being able to add frame texture and contouring has been huge.

;-)
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    This makes me feel extremely old...
    Me too. My first Glock was 1994.

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I came around to the same place. Between 2008 and 2022 I owned at least 40, four-zero, handguns, mostly service sized pistols (new lawyer without kids or a spouse or knowledge of investing, wish I could kick my past self in the throat).

Just about everything is Glock now. Pair of G17s for work and home, G19 for travel or heavy clothes carry, G22 Gen 5 for field/hiking. The only exception is Shield Plus because Glock doesn’t quite have anything in that size bracket with that capacity yet. As soon as they do, I’m probably a Glock guy forever.

They do everything good to great, respond well to practice, everything for them is cheaper to buy than other guns, and I really trust them. Nothing else runs the bases quite as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I can't argue with any of that and have owned I don't know how many copies of Glock 9, 40 and 45's. Yet I am Glockless. HK's for DA/SA and M&P 2.0 striker exclusively. I am an illogical freak of nature bent on bucking the trend I guess. But even I won't argue yes G19. Gen5 almost got me to switch platforms back to Glock. Almost. I still have a few miles left so who knows. Then again Berretta, Sig, CZ . . . . . . !

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    @JCN Which Glock are you referring to? It appears that you've had a few...lol.
    Oh sorry, wasn’t talking about a particular gun, I was talking about [this last numerical point].

3. Great balance of speed versus shootability.

But right now have been loving compensated G19 on G17 frames. Going to see if I can rig up a G32 slide on a G31 frame and barrel cut down to accept a radian afterburner on a 357 Sig system.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’d never heard of Stippletec before… interesting.
    That kit is what I use to fuse polymer together with the big blade and texture the frame for better grip.

For about 25 years, the best advice to give a new shooter wanting to learn, was buy two Glock 19 pistols, a Kydex straight drop range holster, an IWB holster, a few mag pouches and extra magazines, and a pallet of ammo. That avoided costly detours, while allowing you to focus on software.

Today, I would update that to get a pair of 19 pistols, one with a sealed and one with an open emitter, and an AIWB holster instead of IWB. A 19 is the last pistol I would get rid off.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List