Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: I love Glocks… or what’s old is new again.

Range today.

Did some atypical caliber testing today for shootability.

9 major in a G19.5 plus PMM JTTC

40SW in a Glock 20

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    @SwampDweller : an internet search for Brazilian police and .40 caliber Glocks gets you some FirearmBlog entries from 2018 and forward which have some official statements, etc. 10,000 round endurance shoot, drop tests, etc.
    My understanding is the .40 is popular in South America and elsewhere (Australia?) because there are limited ammo choices due to laws prohibiting expanding ammo and availability. As far as ammo, we REALLY have it good in almost all of the states here.
    YMMV
    I'm not sure that's the reason, according to the following, which claims that hollowpoints are permitted (at least for police) but that the ammo they produce and source is not really trusted to expand:

https://revolverguy.com/guns-in-brazil/

I do know that in the past, Brazilian civilians were limited to no larger than .32 ACP and then no larger than .380. I think Bolsonaro may have gotten rid of this, but not sure. Police could have larger calibers for their duty guns, and this culturally led to the desire for larger calibers. The .40s seem to be a standardization that's a middle ground between the .357s, 9mms, and .45s that individual agencies were using.

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    People always assume .45 will be better but completely miss the fact that most FMJ .45 is round nose except for the odd unicorn load here and there. Whereas, ALL .40 FMJ is flat point, this fact alone makes it my choice over 45 if limited to FMJ and this is the reason I own .40 instead of .45. Plus the cartridge length makes for a larger frame that I cannot accomodate for with small hands/short fingers.
    IIRC, and I will have to do some searching later to find this, I seem to remember DocGKR stating that the truncated nose of FMJ .40 loads (or Speer Lawman .45 flat point loads) don't cause appreciably more damage than a regular round nose FMJ. Makes sense, since there's no sharp cutting edge like in a full wadcutter.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    IIRC, and I will have to do some searching later to find this, I seem to remember DocGKR stating that the truncated nose of FMJ .40 loads (or Speer Lawman .45 flat point loads) don't cause appreciably more damage than a regular round nose FMJ. Makes sense, since there's no sharp cutting edge like in a full wadcutter.
    That's not my main concern as we are splitting hairs there, the main factor that's affected is straight line penetration. The round nose tends to be easily taken off being nose forward for optimal penetration and the truncated cone will be more likely to smash through unaffected (or less affected).

Interesting specs.

The G22.5 slide is heavier than the G35.4 slide and just a little lighter than a G20.4 slide…

That's not my main concern as we are splitting hairs there, the main factor that's affected is straight line penetration. The round nose tends to be easily taken off being nose forward for optimal penetration and the truncated cone will be more likely to smash through unaffected (or less affected).
    That’s a good point. I suppose the best choice in FMJ .45 would be the 230gr Speer Lawman with the flat point.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    That’s a good point. I suppose the best choice in FMJ .45 would be the 230gr Speer Lawman with the flat point.
    Exactly, that's the only load I know of but it seems to be quite hard to find and I wouldn't expect it to be found anywhere in person for the most part.

I have seen some Winchester .45 with a flat nose FMJ bullet. Specifically the "train and defend" and "USA Ready" stuff.

Exactly, that's the only load I know of but it seems to be quite hard to find and I wouldn't expect it to be found anywhere in person for the most part.
    As WDR says, I've seen some other brands of flat point in stores, pretty sure it was Winchester. But funnily enough when I order Lawman .45 the cheapest is sometimes the flat point 230gr.

User Tag List