Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: I love Glocks… or what’s old is new again.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    When you guys transitioned from the Glock 22/23 to 17/19, did you guys also first look at the Gen 5 40s?

Seems like Glock may have perfected their 40 platform just a bit too late.
    We didn’t consider the Gen 5 40’s at all, and we knew as early as the summer of 2018 we were transitioning to 9mm duty pistols and dumping 40.

We began issuing Gen 5 9mm Glocks in January 2021, and I believe that myself and two other FIs were the first individuals carrying the Glock 47s in my agency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    When you guys transitioned from the Glock 22/23 to 17/19, did you guys also first look at the Gen 5 40s?

Seems like Glock may have perfected their 40 platform just a bit too late.
    I'd really like to find out how the Gen 5 .40's would do in institutional testing/use/issuance, but these days I doubt there are many (if any) LE entities looking to buy brand new pistols in .40. I have a feeling many are choosing to trade in their Gen 3/4 Glock .40s for 9mm Gen 5s.

I was never really a Glock guy… shot a 19 back in the late 2000s. Just preferred a DA/SA. I did get a 30S, but while it was a nice gun… it just didn’t do it for me (.45 was pricey, and I sort of started to standardize on 9mm… converted the J-frame around then). Sold it.

Work chose the Glock when I was hired on… like as I was doing the on-boarding, we got the email that they were the contract winner. Also went from .40 to 9mm. Was issued a brand new H&K, and maybe a year or so later… it was shredded. [emoji107]

Carrying the 19, I figured might as well look at getting something else. First option was building an AR pistol that took them. Stern upper with their magazine adapter… went with a 6” barrel that took my Dead Air Odessa under the handguard. Loaded up on 24 and 33 rounders.

After that, I saw one of those retro P80s locally. Bought it. [emoji1787] I do like the full size grip, but getting a non-railed frame did interest me. Swapped out the controls to the 34 ones and after I registered it… got the store coupon, and got a Glock threaded barrel for it.

I have a coworker that tends to buy guns and sell them a few weeks/months later. He had a 34 Gen 3, which I got a decent deal on. Came with AmeriGlos… only negative is he “polished” the barrel. Will probably send it out to CCR for plating, as I hate polished parts on a pistol. The one thing I liked with it was the ability to swap frames/slides with the P80. I mean… I do sort of like a non-railed 34.

I also got one of the KelTec SUB-2000 Gen 2 for the 19 magazines (might as well be able to use magazines from work). Redid the internals and set it up like my old .40 SUB-2000… and it is a nice toy and suppressor host.

I likely will consider a 26 Gen 5 eventually. It isn’t like I need the subcompact… but if I have the other sizes, getting the little one would complete it. I would hope that Glock comes out with an MOS option, being I like the ability to go red dot, if I decide I like it.

And if a 47 is released… I’ll buy that and a personal 19 Gen 5 to mix/match them. Damn things are addicting!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    I'd really like to find out how the Gen 5 .40's would do in institutional testing/use/issuance, but these days I doubt there are many (if any) LE entities looking to buy brand new pistols in .40. I have a feeling many are choosing to trade in their Gen 3/4 Glock .40s for 9mm Gen 5s.
    In the US.

How's your Portuguese ?

The whole reason Gen 5 .40's exist is institutional use in Brazil. The guns did well in testing.

Brazilian Cops take their firearms' seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    In the US.

How's your Portuguese ?

The whole reason Gen 5 .40's exist is institutional use in Brazil. The guns did well in testing.

Brazilian Cops take their firearms' seriously.
    I almost mentioned that in my post. I'd love to receive data from their testing and subsequent real-world street use (no doubt there's a lot of it). But I don't know how we could ever acquire such information from a reliable source. I've always wondered why Brazil has had such a long-standing fondness for .40 S&W. Surely there's got to be some valid reason.

@SwampDweller : an internet search for Brazilian police and .40 caliber Glocks gets you some FirearmBlog entries from 2018 and forward which have some official statements, etc. 10,000 round endurance shoot, drop tests, etc.
    My understanding is the .40 is popular in South America and elsewhere (Australia?) because there are limited ammo choices due to laws prohibiting expanding ammo and availability. As far as ammo, we REALLY have it good in almost all of the states here.
    And to paraphrase Clint Smith and others, I'm no combat expert, but all the pistol calibers are pistol calibers. I think it was John Farnam who said "expect them to fail and have a plan"...
    YMMV

If I were prohibited from carrying expanding ammunition, I would give serious thought to .40 instead of 9 if my hand size didn’t allow .45. Then again, I’ve been a .40 fan from day one with my 23.2 and am not particularly recoil sensitive so I don’t have to think too hard about it.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    If I were prohibited from carrying expanding ammunition, I would give serious thought to .40 instead of 9 if my hand size didn’t allow .45. Then again, I’ve been a .40 fan from day one with my 23.2 and am not particularly recoil sensitive so I don’t have to think too hard about it.
    I think Clint Smith also said that if limited to ball ammo “the biggest ball wins.” To me a G30 (or G21 cut to take 10 round mags if in a mag cap ban state), or an HK45/HK45C would be my top picks if limited to ball.

I think Clint Smith also said that if limited to ball ammo “the biggest ball wins.” To me a G30 (or G21 cut to take 10 round mags if in a mag cap ban state), or an HK45/HK45C would be my top picks if limited to ball.
    I agree - I’m lucky enough to be able to cope with a .45, but I’ve met enough people that don’t have the hand size to pull it off. Plus a 27 makes for a handy package. I wouldn’t feel poorly defended by a 27.5 with flat nose 180gr.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

People always assume .45 will be better but completely miss the fact that most FMJ .45 is round nose except for the odd unicorn load here and there. Whereas, ALL .40 FMJ is flat point, this fact alone makes it my choice over 45 if limited to FMJ and this is the reason I own .40 instead of .45. Plus the cartridge length makes for a larger frame that I cannot accomodate for with small hands/short fingers.

User Tag List