Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I love Glocks… or what’s old is new again.

I love Glocks… or what’s old is new again.

My first handgun ever was a Glock 26 in 2016.
    Second handgun was a G34 MOS with RMR in 2016.

Went on an educational journey and bought and tried everything under the sun.

Now I’m back to Glocks and seeing them in a different light.

Things I really appreciate:
    1. Caliber interchangeable slides and frames.
    2. Aftermarket support for slides, holsters, barrels, small parts
    3. Great balance of speed versus shootability.

Especially this last one, it balances the trade off of sport versus carry better than almost anything out there.

So took me 6 years, but I appreciate where I started from more now.

As an aside, the Stippletec kit opened up a lot of functional customization options for me. Being able to add frame texture and contouring has been huge.

I’d never heard of Stippletec before… interesting.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Second handgun was a G34 MOS with RMR in 2016.

Went on an educational journey and bought and tried everything under the sun.

Now I’m back to Glocks and seeing them in a different light.

Things I really appreciate:
    1. Caliber interchangeable slides and frames.
    2. Aftermarket support for slides, holsters, barrels, small parts
    3. Great balance of speed versus shootability.

Especially this last one, it balances the trade off of sport versus carry better than almost anything out there.

So took me 6 years, but I appreciate where I started from more now.

As an aside, the Stippletec kit opened up a lot of functional customization options for me. Being able to add frame texture and contouring has been huge.
    I went through a similar journey and it took my wife, a non shooter, to get me to realize it. We were dry firing her sig 365xl one day and she asked me if I could only have one pistol what would it be and why. It didn't even take me long and I said a glock 19 for its shoot ability, reliability, ease of maintenance, and how carry friendly it was, especially with a gadget. Then she asked me why I didn't have one and why I kept spending money on different kinds if I already knew what I would choose.

My wife is a smart women. Took me 10 years and multiple copies of g19s through gen 3, gen4, and now gen 5. Really is the easy button.. an hk p30 or p2000 is a close second but they are more difficult to work on and not as supported. Do love the lem system though, even if it's tougher to master.

Not for the same reasons, but I have landed back at the mothership. My first modern pistol was a Glock 22 Gen2 in 1998. Then I chased a lot of different makes and models over the years as everything was new and 'I didn't know what I didn't know'. I went through a SIG phase, HK phase, Walther, Beretta, you name it. However, I always had a Glock of some type around except for maybe a year or two in the early days.

I'm back with Glock since 2017. I stopped chasing the better mousetrap when I realized I had spent a lot of money on guns, ammo, and gear that would have been better dumped into training. I did gain knowledge and experience but I don't think that that makes me shooter betterer.

I do have other stuff, it's just a Glock 9mm is what makes its way out the door with me over 99% of the time.
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    This makes me feel extremely old...

I index particularly well with my G19 and my G17 (both Gen 3s), and decently enough with my Gen4 G22, and with practice, my Gen 3 G21. For the "What if I could only choose one" or and "end of the world as we know it" scenario, it's difficult to avoid placing Glocks at the top of the list, due to their combination of durability, reliability, ease of cleaning/maintaining/component replacement, and weather imperviousness.

Criteria by criteria, I probably have better guns; my HK P30L comes to mind.

The hardest contender against my Glocks in these scenarios, particularly if the decision is centered around a 9mm would actually be my Ruger P89, given it's durability, reliability, and how massively overbuilt it's architected for the 9mm cartridge; the compared to Glock, it's a case of "ease of detailed disassembly/reassembly" compared to "an unlikelihood to ever need to do a detailed disassembly/reassembly"....

Complicating things to a degree is how well the P89 shoots, and more importantly how I actually tend to shoot better with it than I do with Glocks, and do so more naturally...

I'd still probably select a Glock, but for now I'm glad I have options and can spend time with both platforms.

Best, Jon

I keep coming back, too. I like to say I'm married co Glock but it's an open marriage…

I've fooled around with H&K, sig, beretta, etc, but always end up back with a Glock. It's very much a "whole is greater than the sum of the parts” situation with them. There are a lot of factors they aren't the absolute best at but they are really good at everything without having much in the way of a fatal flow for me.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    This makes me feel extremely old...
    You and me both, brother. I've been carrying/shooting Glocks almost since the first G19 hit the LGS shelves around 1988.

I'm down to two Glocks right now - a commemorative G19 given to me when I left a unit (which I promptly paid for - don't you ethics wonks get on me!), and a Gen5 G19MOS.

For me, I find that the utter reliability and simplicity of the Glock are its selling point. I also find it relatively easy to hit mid size (say A zone) targets at speed out to 15 yards or so. For ME, with failing grip strength from a number of earlier injuries, it becomes SO MUCH HARDER to shoot well at speed on REALLY small targets (think Garcia dots) or past 15 yards that I've largely shelved mine in favor of the P07.

To say nothing of the fact that, when trying to adapt almost 40 years of iron sight pistol shooting to RDS, the fact that the Glock grip angle presents the pistol in a "nose up" attitude every freaking time makes me search endlessly for a dot that's somewhere up around Pluto. If I wasn't a cheap ass chicken shit, I'd probably try a "humpectomy" like JCN does in an effort to counteract that issue, but, frankly, the juice isn't worth the squeeze for me right now.

Every time I've been tempted to try another pistol platform, even if I like it I wind up selling it because I'm so invested in Glock as a system that I don't want to put up with the expense of replacing everything. Magazines, holsters, sights, optic plates, dry fire mags, hell I even have 3d printed inert barrels for my Glocks. It's a multi thousand-dollar proposition for me to go to something else and I just can't do it. Especially when I can't really measure performance gains that are worth it. Maybe if I was a hard-core competitive shooter I would think differently. The only platform that looks like it might bring something different to the table is the Sig P320 platform, but Sig's massive catalog of equinox this, scorpion that, 45 variations of grip modules, frequent lawsuits, etc send me into analysis paralysis in short order and I give up looking. I think one of two things needs to happen for me to switch:
    1. Star wars blasters start to exist.
    2. An affordable duty pistol platform like the Laugo Arms Alien pistol appears and is widely adopted.
    I'm not a firearms collector and I won't buy anything that doesn't fill a need or has a place in the overall system. Glocks work out well. If you're wondering at this point if I'm mildly on the spectrum, you are correct.

Vending Machine Operator
    I came around to the same place. Between 2008 and 2022 I owned at least 40, four-zero, handguns, mostly service sized pistols (new lawyer without kids or a spouse or knowledge of investing, wish I could kick my past self in the throat).

Just about everything is Glock now. Pair of G17s for work and home, G19 for travel or heavy clothes carry, G22 Gen 5 for field/hiking. The only exception is Shield Plus because Glock doesn’t quite have anything in that size bracket with that capacity yet. As soon as they do, I’m probably a Glock guy forever.

They do everything good to great, respond well to practice, everything for them is cheaper to buy than other guns, and I really trust them. Nothing else runs the bases quite as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

User Tag List