Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: I love Glocks… or what’s old is new again.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Might we be able to re-state that in terms of color of Gabe White pins?

Like I don't think a Glock should be any harder than anything similar for Dark or Light pins. Can't say much about Turbo, that's a bit rarified for me.

Or are we talking tight shots at longer ranges say 25 and out?
    Glocks might be easier for those tests, since a Glock draws so well, and the tests are so draw intensive.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    My first two Glocks were the model 21. A bit bulky in the hand, but shot well. My issue was the bulkiness of the grip. About 2 years ago I bought a model 17 gen 5. Oh goodness! Love the grip texture. The grip is not bulky in the least. Totally changed my opinion about the bulkiness of the Glock grip. I am comparing two different calibers here, but I do love the 17 grip.
    With my Gen 3 G21, and to a similar extent, with my Gen4 G22, I've actually gone the counterintuitive route-enlarging the grips. In the case of the G21, with a Hogue HandAll Beavertail grip sleeve; with the G22 with the Large Glock beavertail backstrap module.

On the G21, I'd previously had the Warren Grip Assist, with an integral vertical fin as a tactile support hand positioning assist.

I liked it (and still somewhat miss the fin (which on mine I reduced by 50% by slicing it off vertically), but I prefer the overall ergos of the Hogue sleeve-I seem to index better and handle recoil better with it.

A friend and I concurrently shot mine and his new G21 SF, and we both preferred, and shot quantifiably better with the Hogue Beavertail sleeve (the Hogue Beavertail sleeve is far more tightly fitting than the original (and still available) Hogue grip sleeve, which in my experience over time loosened and had slop.

On my HKs (VP40 and P30L) I empirically shoot best with the Small backstrap, Small right grip panel and Large left grip panel, so go figure. In my case, it seems how I individually index with the different platforms is the key determinant as to which re4ceiver mods/adds are desirable.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 11-02-2022 at 04:43 PM.

[QUOTE=GJM;1411789. . . one with a sealed and one with an open emitter . . .[/QUOTE]

I shoot irons, this is comes as a new idea. I sort of thought the sealed superceded the open. Why one of each?

Duces

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    I shoot irons, this is comes as a new idea. I sort of thought the sealed superceded the open. Why one of each?

Duces
    While the closed emitter shines (sorry) in inclement weather, I find it easier to shoot an open emitter because there is less frame between you and the target. Good friend just got a P2, after listing after one forever -- his comment to me was the Holosun was easier to shoot. Not surprising when you look at display size and the frame of the Acro. Of course when it is pouring down rain and snow, frame is secondary.

Something I forgot to mention, is I find the Glock is one of the best one hand shooting pistols there is. This is 7 and 10 yards, left and right hand only. Yarded one!

Name:  4045435C-D253-49EE-B282-0A5D1493FFCC.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  25.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Might we be able to re-state that in terms of color of Gabe White pins?

Like I don't think a Glock should be any harder than anything similar for Dark or Light pins. Can't say much about Turbo, that's a bit rarified for me.

Or are we talking tight shots at longer ranges say 25 and out?
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Glocks might be easier for those tests, since a Glock draws so well, and the tests are so draw intensive.
    Out of everything I own, light polymer Glocks are THE choice for things like GW standards.

The only thing that is better is an Alien.

Manual safeties and DA first pull slow things down just a whiff.

I’ve mostly been using Glock 19s since I started shooting handguns. I veered off the path a couple of times to the P-F gun-of-the-month (HK P30 and Beretta PX4) but those experiments didn’t last and I ended up going back to the G19. I bought my first G26 about six years ago and realized what a great little gun those are as well. Glocks sure aren’t perfect. If they asked me to help design the Gen6 Glock, I’d ask for a SCD from the factory, a way to disassemble the guns without having to pull the trigger that didn’t involve basically having to detail strip the slide before I could take it off the frame, a trigger guard undercut, the return of the finger grooves, the return of the cutout at the bottom of the front strap, a finish that wasn’t as slick as the Gen5 nDLC, a grip texture somewhere between the Gen4/5 and the RTF2 in abrasiveness, and commercially available direct mill MOS models for the most popular optic footprints.

Glocks probably aren’t the best in any one category except for simplicity of parts and maintenance. There are guns that are more accurate, easier to shoot, more reliable, have nicer triggers, hold more ammunition, are less expensive, etc, but Glocks have enough top two or top three finishes that, overall, they probably are the best gun for the average user or the institutional user. Glocks aren’t pretty and, to paraphrase Ken Hackathorn, they don’t have any pride of ownership associated with them, but they’re pretty dang good guns overall. They aren’t my favorite guns but my job doesn’t let me carry my favorite guns anyway so it doesn’t really matter. There’s a reason that Glocks are so popular and it isn’t just price. They’re also ubiquitous at this point. The 9mm double stack Glock is the standard by which other guns are measured at this point. Everyone talks about every new gun as a potential “Glock killer.” I’ve never heard anyone talk about the next “HK killer,” “Beretta killer,” “S&W M&P killer,” etc.

At this point, I shoot Glocks alright and I’m so invested in the platform financially, that a gun would have to offer something above and beyond just being a functional gun with a nice trigger for me to even consider switching to something else. Chances are, the switch wouldn’t be for very long after I realized the new gun didn’t really do much the old Glock couldn’t do. I find the grip angle doesn’t bother me if I’m not swapping back and forth between guns too. I just get used to it and other guns point low instead of Glocks pointing high.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

I just switched back to a Gen5 G17 for competition, after over two years of messing with Shadow 2’s.

My first range session back I shot one of my best ever Bill Drills, the second draw out of the holster, a 1.81. Half Accelerators are in the same realm as the shadow, getting consistent 10.5 HF’s. An 11 HF has so far eluded me with both guns. I’ll get there.

I can split the Glocks faster as well, 13-14 splits are very doable, vs 15’s with the S2.

I’m currently running the Timney trigger with the red spring. It gives about a 3.5lb weight, which I like for a competition gun. I’m not trigger sensitive.

Glocks check all the boxes I need and really allow me to focus on the shooting instead of messing with the gun.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    I just switched back to a Gen5 G17 for competition, after over two years of messing with Shadow 2’s.

My first range session back I shot one of my best ever Bill Drills, the second draw out of the holster, a 1.81. Half Accelerators are in the same realm as the shadow, getting consistent 10.5 HF’s. An 11 HF has so far eluded me with both guns. I’ll get there.

I can split the Glocks faster as well, 13-14 splits are very doable, vs 15’s with the S2.

I’m currently running the Timney trigger with the red spring. It gives about a 3.5lb weight, which I like for a competition gun. I’m not trigger sensitive.

Glocks check all the boxes I need and really allow me to focus on the shooting instead of messing with the gun.
    Let us know how the Timney works out. Everyone Timney Glock trigger I am familiar with around here has developed problems.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post

The hardest contender against my Glocks in these scenarios, particularly if the decision is centered around a 9mm would actually be my Ruger P89, given it's durability, reliability, and how massively overbuilt it's architected for the 9mm cartridge; the compared to Glock, it's a case of "ease of detailed disassembly/reassembly" compared to "an unlikelihood to ever need to do a detailed disassembly/reassembly"....

Complicating things to a degree is how well the P89 shoots, and more importantly how I actually tend to shoot better with it than I do with Glocks, and do so more naturally...

I'd still probably select a Glock, but for now I'm glad I have options and can spend time with both platforms.

Best, Jon
    Jon, I’m pretty sure you’re the same guy I’ve been impressed by and paid attention to you since the early IDPA listserv days, many moons ago…. And, with all due respect, every time you rave about the P89 I grin and assume you are trolling (even though, by now, I know you aren’t). Top heavy, terrible ergos (for me), loooong trigger…

All in good fun!

User Tag List