Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: I love Glocks… or what’s old is new again.

I’ve been on the M&P train for quite a while because of that damnable G19 hump. Even running the small backstrap (or no backstrap, I forget which) didn’t help much. BUT I do realize it probably isn’t a bad idea to have one around anyway.

Are any of the flat backstrap (or at least reduced hump) aftermarket frames worth looking into? Or am I better off having a rather brilliant surgeon help me with that hump (aka humpectomy)?

What about the uses-a-bunch-of-Glock-parts-but-it’s-not-a-Glock pistols? I’m not necessarily looking for duty grade but I’d like something better than hobby grade.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Are any of the flat backstrap (or at least reduced hump) aftermarket frames worth looking into? Or am I better off having a rather brilliant surgeon help me with that hump (aka humpectomy)?
    Shadow systems frames are pretty good (no hump) at a pretty reasonable price.

I would also be happy to walk you through the humpectomy.

I’m about to do another G17.5 and a G17.4 and I can video the process if it helps people.

Name:  4AA3CE09-5CF2-4BCF-8E25-076DB722036E.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  36.6 KB

Name:  3BB295B2-5DBA-48DC-9225-4AD5D677D4AE.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  32.6 KB

Name:  F46BF45D-866C-4195-8F36-6ED4CD399B43.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  40.0 KB

Name:  77E44C4A-8CAF-42C1-8614-C21F3F9B27CB.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  47.2 KB

Name:  CC8EDD3A-9DB9-4623-A863-D3F346AEAD33.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  43.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

Yes!!! I always laugh when you post that image! So true!

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    I just switched back to a Gen5 G17 for competition, after over two years of messing with Shadow 2’s.

My first range session back I shot one of my best ever Bill Drills, the second draw out of the holster, a 1.81. Half Accelerators are in the same realm as the shadow, getting consistent 10.5 HF’s. An 11 HF has so far eluded me with both guns. I’ll get there.

I can split the Glocks faster as well, 13-14 splits are very doable, vs 15’s with the S2.

I’m currently running the Timney trigger with the red spring. It gives about a 3.5lb weight, which I like for a competition gun. I’m not trigger sensitive.

Glocks check all the boxes I need and really allow me to focus on the shooting instead of messing with the gun.
    Goes to show that different strokes for different folks and that the Glocks are not holding you back when compared to the S2s. Good to see.

On a side note I feel like some people(nobody in this thread) have forgot that Glocks can be shot at the highest levels when one commits to them and dedicates the work.

I feel one cannot go wrong when you have a battery of Glocks in the safe.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    Yes!!! I always laugh when you post that image! So true!

Goes to show that different strokes for different folks and that the Glocks are not holding you back when compared to the S2s. Good to see.

On a side note I feel like some people(nobody in this thread) have forgot that Glocks can be shot at the highest levels when one commits to them and dedicates the work.

I feel one cannot go wrong when you have a battery of Glocks in the safe.
    I have been shooting SIGs for work but my Glocks and Glock support gear are merely in hibernation.

You can make a strong argument that the Glock, and the Glock 19 in particular, is the world's pistol. Consistent with that, I think the highest use of the Glock is to embrace it in its factory grip configuration. That way you don't need a special one off pistol, but you can pick up any Glock and do great work with it. I am seeing no issue going back-and-forth between a 2011 and a Glock 19 grip shape.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Let us know how the Timney works out. Everyone Timney Glock trigger I am familiar with around here has developed problems.
    Will do, I had reset problems until I installed the red spring. I have 1600 rounds through it and probably 10-15x that in trigger depressions.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    GJM's points resonate; on the one hand, if you're truly a skilled shooter, and are trying for the optimal tool to maximize your capabilities, there are more refined and capable tools. On the other hand, if you're using a pistol in a real-world environment/venue(s) for defensive purposes, a Glock shines-and can give you a relatively narrow gap between it's performance capabilities compared to a more purpose-focused (but probably one with more limited venue applicability) tool.

Best, Jon
    No knock on you Jon but this is hurting my brain. It’s a personal thing so it’s all on me. What does a skilled shooter use in real-world environment/venue(s) for defensive purposes? I think you have good wisdom there but I’m just trying to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    While the closed emitter shines (sorry) in inclement weather, I find it easier to shoot an open emitter because there is less frame between you and the target. Good friend just got a P2, after listing after one forever -- his comment to me was the Holosun was easier to shoot. Not surprising when you look at display size and the frame of the Acro. Of course when it is pouring down rain and snow, frame is secondary.
    When it is pouring down I swap slides to iron sights. I know, very analog.

I've tried humpless glocks before and the change honestly doesn't matter much as the angle is mostly in the magazine.

If only someone would design a frame that takes glock uppers and M&P mags, it would literally be the perfect plastic striker gun.

First gun was a Ruger KP95, then an HK USP .40.

Then, stuck on .40, I traded that USP for a G27. The lack of a manual safety and one trigger pull was huge for me.

So:

G27
    G22* eventually fully converted to 9mm
    G17
    G26
    G19
    G42
    G17 Gen 5 MOS
    G48
    G19#2 - frame is currently at Boresight Solutions, and sending it off to be milled for a Holosun EPS.

Its possible that we Glock guys are thought of as "just another boring Glock shooter" by some. Thats ok. They are boringly reliable like a Honda Civic. However with all the aftermarket parts, you can slap a turbo, a chip in and a new exhaust on your Glock. They can definitely shoot SIGNIFICANTLY better with some love.

NOW... I had cataract surgery last year. And this year I finally started working groups at 25 yards. The trigger system is now a point of contention with me. But, I think I've improved my triggers as much as possible, without taking them lower than 4.5lbs.

Yes, shy of a small Beretta .25 and Model 15 all my pistols are Glocks. I feel slightly embarrassed of that... but not much. Eventually I'm getting a Staccato C2 and probably a CZ75 Shadow. (1911 and DASA added to my). But I still believe the Glock platform will ALWAYS be primary for me. Especially since my focus is self defense and I can run one 15 yards and in really well.
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec
    Evolution Security Podcast

User Tag List