Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thinking of building a 10/22, or, help me spend money

I'd suggest you get a standard carbine, get a trigger job, shoot it and see how it performs. It may be all you need. I have 4 10 /22s. two carbines, a Deluxe Sporter and a heavy bbl with laminated stock. I shoot one of the standards with a peep sight most of the time. All 4 have some kind of trigger job. The factory 7 lb trigger pull is just too much. I prefer 3# or maybe a little less. Don't discount the standard rifles, one with a plastic stock may be lighter than wood.

As a member of 10/22s Anonymous, here’s some things to consider.

Which is more important, the end result or the actual sourcing and building? If the end result is more important I’d look at Kidd and Volquartsen for whatever best matches your criteria. Next choice would be a factory option with an upgraded trigger.

For a plinker I’d generally avoid match chambers. IIRC the Bentz chamber is a hybrid that’s tighter than factory but not as tight as a true match chamber.

TACCOM3G has 16” lightweight barrels that are really 5.5” (or maybe 6”, I don’t remember offhand) with a permanently attached aluminum(?) shroud to keep it legal. I’ve got one but haven’t installed it yet.

Don’t know about youth stocks, but PMACA makes chassis that take AR stocks so an adjustable stock is an option.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I wanted a 10/22 that was light and accurate. I went with a standard profile 16” threaded Fedderson barrel. Hogue nylon stock (not the rubber over molded) I used the Volquartsen action and trigger kit. Added a Sig Romeo 5 and a BCM mod 0 brake because I had it and I don’t shoot my suppressor as much as I thought I would.

The gun shot great but I felt guilty with the red dot on there so I ordered a Trijicon Ascent 1-4 and sure enough the first 5 shot group I shot at 50 yards was just under 1/2” with CCI SV ammo, I need to try my stash of real target ammo one day.

This turned out to be one of my favorite 22’s but if I needed the youth stock, I’d just buy the youth gun and swap out the barrel with a Fedderson and address the trigger with Volquartsen. Short, light, trim and handy. That’s what a 10/22 needs to be.

User Tag List