Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield Prodigy Reliability?

Springfield Prodigy Reliability?

Gang, how are these working out? I may jump. It seems like after a break in they are OK? I am not a big 1911 / 2011 guy. Hope there is an aluminum frame and smaller ones coming- IF these work out.

Thanks!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    Gang, how are these working out? I may jump. It seems like after a break in they are OK? I am not a big 1911 / 2011 guy. Hope there is an aluminum frame and smaller ones coming- IF these work out.

Thanks!
    Just a bit further down has lots of commentary from teasing of the product through release, and several folks opinions.

I think opinion is from people like Hilton Yam (10-8 Performance) and Rob from Alchemy Custom works have given lots of insights.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....teasing-a-2011

https://youtu.be/xNI567NkCVw

https://youtu.be/CI12EmpAGy0

https://youtu.be/mzvFW_-Juok

Hilton has three videos (I linked 84, but there is 85 and 86).

Largely it seems positive with the caveat of it is a gun meeting a price point but for that price point it offers a lot. That being said it’s very affordable for guns of that lineage and has some things you may have to address for that reason.

It’s an interesting gun for sure. If I was buying a gun and didn’t want to mess with it - it looks like the Staccato still offers a lot of peace of mind. But I shoot Glocks and have for years - I do have some 1911’s and enjoy watching how these new offerings fair and consider should I ever jump in.
    God Bless,

Brandon

I'm retired; no longer working.
    If I was still working, and worked for a department which allowed a personally-owned-weapon (POW), other than the issued G17gen4, I'd have considered a double-stack 9mm 1911 (aka 2011) for daily carry and work. I then would've compared the S-A Prodigy with a Staccato and gone with Staccato for its reliability, optics capability, hopefully good customer service.

But, as 10-8 Performance's H. Yam used to recommend for regular duty-use 1911s, then I'd want to have two of these handguns; as any handgun may need to be downed for parts or service. At that point, the cost really gets much higher for an individual. Alternatively, if going with just one Staccato, I'd then still need to stay well-practiced and qualified with an alternate (like a Glock) should the 2011 go down for any reason.

Perhaps things would be different, even though more expensive, if Springfield would come out with a "Custom Shop" level or "Professional" level Prodigy, but so far S-A has not done so.

I've no time, money, and patience to have a Prodigy to be reliability tuned and ensure duty-level reliability. Hopefully, we'll get more reviews with higher round-counts regarding both Springfield and Staccato if owners start posting their experiences with both at 10K, 20K and beyond round counts.

Folks, don't forget or discount Glock's G17/19/45 or even the G34 models whether for duty or a larger concealed carry handgun.

I know, some folks out there have an extra $3K+ (to start) with no where else to spend it. I know, I've been there.

Site Supporter

Thanks!
    There is no free lunch.

They have some issues. Not suitable for duty use as is. Range toy ? Sure. Base gun to hit and rebuild ? Sure.

The commander length guns generally run better than the 5” guns.

They are as inconsistent as SA’s other 1911s. You may get a good one, you may get a lemon.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    There is no free lunch.

They have some issues. Not suitable for duty use as is. Range toy ? Sure. Base gun to hit and rebuild ? Sure.

The commander length guns generally run better than the 5” guns.

They are as inconsistent as SA’s other 1911s. You may get a good one, you may get a lemon.
    This about sums it up.

I'll only add that the magazines are questionable and unproven, with numerous videos and reviews demonstrating reliability problems. Their only apparent advantage over the Staccato GEN3 magazine is a lower price. Probably the easiest upgrade to make to a Prodigy is using a Staccato GEN3 magazine instead of the included DuraMag product. Again, no free lunch.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Wow, guys thanks. Those videos are great! Sounds like a nice gun, I think I will Give one a try!

Site Supporter
    Wow, guys thanks. Those videos are great! Sounds like a nice gun, I think I will Give one a try!
    Before you plunk down your $$ I suggest reading the entire thread BWT linked and this thread:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....gfield-Armory!

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Before you plunk down your $$ I suggest reading the entire thread BWT linked and this thread:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....gfield-Armory!
    This, x10,000. If you're looking for a range toy that MIGHT work, or might need enough gunsmithing to get it into the cost of a Staccato, then the Prodigy is your huckleberry. If you're looking for a serious use carry pistol, I couldn't imagine buying one of these yet. At a bare minimum, you're going to have to buy better magazines, and be prepared to have a competent smith really work the pistol. At which point, the BUL or Staccato both make INFINITELY more sense to me.

YMMV, of course.

With much trepidation, I got one. I gotta tell ya, though was really on the fence. Played with a C2 side by side, it was light! Nicely balanced,and sweet. Also had an older guardian I almost went for, as it was same price as the Prodigy. I got lucky, my prodigy works 100%. Super accurate, controllable , overall I like, but dang it seems big! Just not used to wide frame. Slide works like it is on butter. Now to be honest, they had another that seemed to have a catch when pulling the slide back. I passed on that one. We will see. Thanks for the help guys!
    Last edited by Polecat; 11-01-2022 at 02:17 PM.

Hopefully the gun works well for you. I enjoy shooting mine. I recently sent it off to Springfield to have a broken ejector fixed. I took it out yesterday to test fire after repair and to get the dot dialed back in.

Speaking of dots, it seems the mounting plates on these guns have issues with staying tight. I don't know if it is a design flaw or just coincidence but there have been several reports of plates working loose even with blue thread locker.
    @60167 has a bunch of rounds through his gun.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

User Tag List