Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: In a world of dumb LE shit, this may be the dumbest

Site Supporter
    Well, that seems like a waste of money and training time and even space on a duty belt or vest. Since many bad guys in my area have BolaWrap defeating strategies like wearing shorts or short-sleeve shirts, what are the consequences if one were to deploy a BolaWrap against such a semi-clad suspect?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    Well, that seems like a waste of money and training time and even space on a duty belt or vest. Since many bad guys in my area have BolaWrap defeating strategies like wearing shorts or short-sleeve shirts, what are the consequences if one were to deploy a BolaWrap against such a semi-clad suspect?
    I think the idea is that they are available, like bean bag launchers, vs being carried constantly. I could be wrong, though. They are still in testing phase. As far as using it incorrectly, I don't think there's a policy in place yet given it's not issued beyond testing officers, but I expect it would be the same as deploying a Taser in a prohibited context. We have a discipline matrix, and without getting real into the weeds, the punishment varies based on the officer's discipline history, the actual harm caused by the out of compliance act, and mitigating/aggravating circumstances (ie the officer thought it was the right thing to do because X and you can kinda sorta see the reasoning even if it's wrong vs acting maliciously or recklessly). It could be anything from a coaching session for a well meaning, but wrong, decision by someone with no history (a 'teachable moment' vs actual discipline) to termination for someone who's repeatedly willingly and recklessly violated the same general order and failed to improve performance related to same.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    I remember when these were first brought out and one or two of our upper level chiefs thought they were worth checking out. We may have gone so far as to actually get a couple to test, but thankfully it stopped there.

What always concerns me is that they continue to get officers willing to step up to endorse these and other such poor ideas. I always wonder if the (paid) spokesperson is a true believer, which is scary in that it means someone with decades on the job never learned from it enough to discern the myriad of concerns such a device brings with it, or if they see it but are so driven (money, or exposure, or both) that they don’t care.

A lot of police managers do not come from backgrounds of extensive street and first hand experience. If you wave a spokesperson with claimed experience in “violent felony investigations,” training, and tactical experience in front of them, and then couple that with the non stop political pressure to lessen the use of force, you are almost guaranteed to get a certain percentage to buy into the nonsense based on the endorser’s credentials alone. It just amazes (appalls) me that an officer would endorse such an item knowing it may end up on the belt of someone actually doing the job.
    Polite Professional

Quote Originally Posted by PD Sgt. View Post
    A lot of police managers do not come from backgrounds of extensive street and first hand experience.
    Understatement of the year.

User Tag List