Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 365 Macro accuracy problem

@YVK @GJM I think the answer is ‘yes’ but in general is an XL slide on a Macro lower gtg?

I'll defer to @GJM. I don't own any of them.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    @YVK @GJM I think the answer is ‘yes’ but in general is an XL slide on a Macro lower gtg?
    Mine has been.

Interesting comment by Hickok45 in his Macro review:

20:41 “I’ve had more misses with it than I typically have with the P365.”

Name:  8CC31120-C9F3-4A60-9A4A-535B2DE5A5CF.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  60.7 KB

RJ, I just bought the XL upper from Proven you referenced, and plan to use that or a 365X/PMM on my Macro lowers. Even if Gold Dot shoots good enough, I don’t like the idea of a pistol that won’t shoot my practice ball ammo into 3-4 inches at 25.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Yes.

The FCU is the same. All you need is the grip.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    RJ, I just bought the XL upper from Proven you referenced, and plan to use that or a 365X/PMM on my Macro lowers. Even if Gold Dot shoots good enough, I don’t like the idea of a pistol that won’t shoot my practice ball ammo into 3-4 inches at 25.
    Looking forward to the results. Those X-change kits are pretty cool, I'm not sure why Sig discontinued them. Proven had two of them when ordered, so maybe you got the other one they had. I was casting around for how best to get a P365XL slide and was on the point of buying another P365XL, just for the parts, when I happened to find Proven Outfitters (who are Quantico Tactical formerly?) having a sale on them. Plus I can sell the 2 mags and grip module to reduce some of the cost. I have some AE124 and Speer GD 124+p, and am I headed to the square range later today. I'm obviously not in the same class of shooter as you and @Up1911Fan, but out of self interest, I will try and shoot some five round groups at 25 on a B-8 with my P365XL upper and Macro lower.

Anyway, back on topic, I'm still not clear on what the failure mechanism might be...I've never shot a pistol with a comp, or even a "slide" comp (or is the Spectre / Macro upper slide, where it vents gas upward, more of a "brake"?). If you assume the barrel and lockup is the same, it must be something that takes place right at the very small window of time where the bullet has left the muzzle of the barrel (3.1"), but has not left the end of the extended slide part (3.7"), right? Is it possible there is some slight inconsistency in powder burn and gas expansion rates that causes the bullet to "clip" (?) the end of the slide moving downward, on it's way out, enough to disturb the trajectory enough where groups open up on certain specific guns...?

I'm thinking there might be an analogy where certain Glock 48's with optics mounted (like mine, for example) have issues in slide velocity with specific ammo, where other Glock 48's have no issues at all; something like that.

I now have two pistols set up with a Macro lower and XL OEM upper. They are both zeroed with 124 +P Gold Dot, but they also shoot my practice ball ammo just fine. Will be sending my Macro upper and Spectre Comp down the road, to someone who appreciates an iota of extra recoil reduction over accuracy with a range of loads. Was shooting eight inch steel at 30 yards with Lawman today, and that was very frustrating with the Macro upper.

I have a straight trigger in one Macro and a curved in the other. Dry firing, I prefer the curved trigger but can't tell a difference shooting both triggers.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I now have two pistols set up with a Macro lower and XL OEM upper. They are both zeroed with 124 +P Gold Dot, but they also shoot my practice ball ammo just fine. Will be sending my Macro upper and Spectre Comp down the road, to someone who appreciates an iota of extra recoil reduction over accuracy with a range of loads. Was shooting eight inch steel at 30 yards with Lawman today, and that was very frustrating with the Macro upper.

I have a straight trigger in one Macro and a curved in the other. Dry firing, I prefer the curved trigger but can't tell a difference shooting both triggers.
    That is interesting on the triggers. Completely my fault as the shooter but I am much more accurate at distance with the curved vs the straight

Site Supporter

TLDR I got rid of my commercial X Macro after experiencing and witnessing accuracy issues similar to those you reported.

The gun would generally produce a split group with one sub group at 10 o’clock and one at 4 or 5 o’clock and occasionally sent a round high.

My P365XL with Macro grip had no such issues. Putting an XL slide on the Commercial Macro grip / FCU also eliminated the issue.

This past weekend I was at a private shooting event and was able to have two very competent shooters (a USPSA GM and a prior IDPA world shoot winner) shoot the gun. both got the same results I did (split group and one high flyer).

There was another shooter present with a commercial Macro and it displayed similar accuracy issues to mine.

User Tag List