Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How much of a difference will primers make?

Quote Originally Posted by Slavex View Post
    I shoot 147gr CamPro. I don't use ginex for matches, but do for practice. To make the same power factor I'm shooting 3.6gr of Titegroup instead of 3.3gr
    Thanks for the info.
    I’ll do up a few of my 124gr Campros with the usual 4.1 and wait for a warm Northern Manitoba day to Chrony them and adjust.
    Usually I just plug and play primers but this time I’ll do due diligence.

I personally just use whatever I can get. I just chrono my loads I use for matches with the primers I am going to use at the match and dont worry about different brands for training ammo.
    FN America DSM
    Cajun Gun Works and Shooters World Powder shooting team member

How much of a difference will primers make?

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    I'm starting to see small pistol primers (SPP), in VERY limited quantities, at local Academy Sports locations. prices are 8 to 10 cents/primer. I'm leaning toward using the load data shown on the Blue Bullets site, for either 124gr, or 135gr, for coated 9mm bullets. However, the load data all shows either CCI 500, or Winchester SP, for primers.

I haven't seen those locally at all, but have seen Remington 1 1/2, and Federal Champion, and Federal Gold Medal. How much difference would it make if I used a mix of those, rather than the CCI or Winchester primers shown in the load data?

Thanks in advance, for any help.you can provide.
    I don’t shoot 9mm, but I know a couple of shooters who won’t use Remington 1 1/2s due to the thin cup (which makes it perfect for my .38s)

The literature says they can be used in 9mm, so maybe the folks I know are exceeding SAAMI MAP.

I found two bricks recently and need to hunt for more.

BTW, if you’re in D/FW and pick up some 1 1/2s, I’ll swap 1-1 for 5 1/2s. I have a large quantity of 5 1/2s, but I shoot DA revolvers and the primers are quite hard. It takes a full power mainspring to light them off consistently.
    Last edited by jtcarm; 11-16-2022 at 08:16 AM.

User Tag List