Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much of a difference will primers make?

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    BUT...

When I switched primer brands or from standard to magnum, I always treated it as a new load. I dropped to at least 10% below max, fired a few loads, then loaded a few more at 5%, then a few more at my desired maximum charge.
    This. There are few better ways to get in trouble than by switching components when you're already at top-end pressures. Back off and work back up until you either see the same velocity as before or you start to see pressure signs.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    This. There are few better ways to get in trouble than by switching components when you're already at top-end pressures. Back off and work back up until you either see the same velocity as before or you start to see pressure signs.

Okie John
    I agree, although Bluebullets and high pressure loads don’t generally go together. 9mm is a very forgiving caliber unless you’re loading 9 major.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to start buying them up, when I can find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    BUT...

When I switched primer brands or from standard to magnum, I always treated it as a new load. I dropped to at least 10% below max, fired a few loads, then loaded a few more at 5%, then a few more at my desired maximum charge.
    This is the way.
    Grab your gun and bring in the cat.

Pre Covid/BLM I shot only Federal for USPSA. Of late I'll shoot anything. Testing loads I have found the Federals to be consistently hotter than Winchester and CCI standard small pistol. The Winchester small magnums were no different than standard Winchester and CCI. The CCI small pistol magnums were close to the Federals but not quite.

I don't download for any of this, but I'm shooting puny USPSA match ammo. If you're loading to high pressures/velocities it might be good to back down a bit.

If you are the type to sort your cases by headstamp, then by weight, and then trim them all to length, you might see a difference.

Case capacity matters more than primers.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

CCI, Winchester, Federal, Remington and S&B all produce ammo with the same average power factor me (IPSC). But, Ginex and Dominion need a 0.3gr powder increase with Titegroup to get the same PF.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Slavex View Post
    CCI, Winchester, Federal, Remington and S&B all produce ammo with the same average power factor me (IPSC). But, Ginex and Dominion need a 0.3gr powder increase with Titegroup to get the same PF.
    Interesting I just got 5k of the ginex primers.
    I’ll have to chrono them before I get too carried away with reloading this winter.
    I’m curious about what caliber and bullet you needed .3gr more titegroup?
    I shoot boatloads of Campro 124gr 9x19. 4.1gr of Titegroup gets me about 1080fps out of my Glocks

No experience with Rem primers but even Russian primers work just fine. Used the last of mine last year. If they were garbage I would have chucked those a long time ago.

No primer shortage here at my house..
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I shoot 147gr CamPro. I don't use ginex for matches, but do for practice. To make the same power factor I'm shooting 3.6gr of Titegroup instead of 3.3gr
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

User Tag List