Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Cigar and Pipe thread

I ran up to the local cigar shop to replenish my supply. While I was there I asked about pipes. They have a small selection and, since this is my very first pipe, the owner suggested I try a simple, inexpensive corn cob pipe to see if I like it. Sold. He also recommended some tobacco good for first timers (I think it was called 1Q?). Sold. Hopefully I can give it a try this weekend.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Mac Baren Plumbcacke on the way along with some Hartwell Evening Stroll via WatchCity. Agreed on SmokingPipes. They didn’t have the evening stroll in stock tho.

The Knotty Pine???... Don’t ask. 🤢

The penis truck dropped off some 58% Boveda’s today. Anxious to see how those work. Everything is out of the tins and into small canning jars presently. Need to find a way to store those in the mancave. (Maybe an old wood soda pop crate to hang on the wall?)
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Please tell me that's not really a zippo in that pic.
    It definitely is. With the pipe insert inside. I know, Zippo fluid has a flavor to it. I still prefer using a Zippo for multiple reasons, one of them being convenience and another being that it’s a very cool flame that I prefer for relighting. And the flavor isn’t super noticeable with the tobacco I use, for me at least.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    It definitely is. With the pipe insert inside. I know, Zippo fluid has a flavor to it. I still prefer using a Zippo for multiple reasons, one of them being convenience and another being that it’s a very cool flame that I prefer for relighting. And the flavor isn’t super noticeable with the tobacco I use, for me at least.
    +1 Zippo with pipe insert and Ronsonoil.

I'm a n00b, what do I know?

What's the Glock version of a pipe lighter?
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    What's the Glock version of a pipe lighter?
    Definitely not the Zippo. Metal. Late 19th/early 20th Century tech. Requires multiple forms of maintenance. Has a soul. Served in WWII. It’s much more like a 1911.

Site Supporter
    I won't knock the Zippo if it works for you, but I can't bring myself to do it. I tried a lot of lighters and settled on the IM Cornona Old Boy: https://www.amazon.com/IM-Corona-Old.../dp/B004P6Q3XI It's a little pricey but it's the best I tried, runs for ages on a refill and has an angled flame for lighting pipes. I've been using it for years now. I don't think you can call it the Glock of lighters though. Maybe more like the 1911 or Hi-Power, or a Japanese manufactured Winchester. A Bic is probably your Glock equivalent and it works but you'll burn your fingers here and there.

@entropy, I looked at the mix on that Knotty Pine the other day and was wondering what you would think. It doesn't have any of the cavendish that the plum pudding adds for sweetness. I suspect it's something I might like because I'm fan of Balkans and straight English mixes and don't do sweeter or flavored tobaccos as much. I like them for the same reason I like Islay scotches and lapsong shusong tea - very smoky. But if you favor sweeter or flavored tobaccos it doesn't surprise me it's not for you.

ETA: Don't get me wrong. I love the Zippo. But since I gave up the Luckies, mine just sits in drawer and pines.

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    ...He also recommended some tobacco good for first timers (I think it was called 1Q?)
    Lane 1-Q is the best-selling bulk tobacco in the United States. It has a very mild flavor like a vanilla marshmallow vapor and might be hard for a cigar regular to taste. The room note is mild and inoffensive as bonuses with its low cost and good quality base cavendish tobacco. 1-Q burns rather well for breaking in new pipes, as well.

Speaking of that, your cob will let you know when you are about done smoking for the first couple-three bowls. As the hardwood stem chars, you'll taste it. If that flavor offends, just dump the dottle. I personally power through a few times to get the charring out of the way.

Forgot to mention the cob's filter. As Missouri Meerschaum cobs have a wide-open draw, I'd suggest using the filter for the first bowl, at least. It'll keep chunk or an ember from coming back at you if you take a rip rather than a sip toward the bottom of the bowl. They'll still catch chunks if cut in half, by the way. I don't use filters but do try to keep a box around for guests and newbies.

Can any of the seasoned pipe smokers offer some recommended brands of mid tier pipes?

I have only dabbled with entry level and want to experience more dedicated time to a pipe this fall/winter.

Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    Can any of the seasoned pipe smokers offer some recommended brands of mid tier pipes?

I have only dabbled with entry level and want to experience more dedicated time to a pipe this fall/winter.
    Rossi and Chacom are the two "nicer?" pipes I have used. I know there are many more expensive pipes for certain. The Rossi Vittoria I have I got at a local shop, for roughly 60 bucks. Which is about 20 more than online. The Chacom I bought at a reputable online store for just over 100 dollars, it is one of their "pipe of the year" models from a year or two ago. They are both rough texture briar, but have different dimensions.

There is a very slight difference in the smoke from one to the other, but is it a 60 dollar difference? I enjoy them both, but the slightly larger, slightly nicer Chacom is my favorite.

User Tag List