Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Cigar and Pipe thread

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    this forum has cost me a bit of money. First a pistol, then a AR, then a watch, and now a pipe. I love it
    You may wish to avoid the vehicle or marriage threads.

(Just a small joke, and should not be taken literally. Maybe.)

Necropost!

My wife and I spent our 10-year anniversary up in the tiny town of Greer, AZ (population 41). Lo and behold, there's an art studio there. We found a beautiful oil painting that came home with us, but we also found handmade briar pipes from an artist down in Tucson. I've been pondering a Churchwarden-style pipe for a while now, and this seemed the perfect opportunity.

Last edited by LHS; 11-15-2015 at 10:51 PM.

Nice! Looks like some Danish influence. (I love Danish freehand pipes.)(I am told that Erik Nording is quite the hunter, BTW.)
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Congrats on the anniversary. I have a Oom Paul and a churchwarden pipe, and they are among my favorites.

I think I will break one out now, come to think of it.

Thought I'd bring this old thread up from the dead. Why ? The news sucks lately and a pleasant diversion once in awhile, would be nice IMO.

I got back into cigars recently. And I may try a pipe. What do you guys like to smoke ?

I haven't actually smoked my pipes since I had oral surgery several years ago, had a molar removed and had to refrain while the incision healed, and just never picked them up again.

That said, my preference is for a Danish Freehand style pipe and an English-style tobacco, preferably a Virginia blend, occasionally with some Latakia in it. A touch of Perique can be nice. I avoid the aromatics, because I don't find the addition of the flavorings tastes better, and they are usually moist enough to ruin the smoking characteristics. The word "goopy" comes to mind.

I also have several Meerchaums I like.

If you want to just try a pipe out to see if you enjoy it, a Doctor Grabow is not a bad place to start, it lets you try your hand and see what shape you prefer without spending a lot of money. Don't waste money on filter pipes.

If there's a tobacconist near you they often have estate pipes and rejects of name brands that may be sold without markings, ask for "the basket". I worked at the local Tinder Box briefly after retiring from the Army, it's not a bad shop for a national franchise.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Thanks Drang, I appreciate it.

I was thinking about the pipe especially for in the winter when it can get damned cold here. The lady of the house likes the smell of pipe smoke, but not so much that of a primo cigar. So, the pipe could be a better indoor option for me.

Is 'aromatic' tobacco likely to have a nicer aroma than other types ? (I know nothing about pipes.) - Thank you

My favorite cigar right now is the Liga Privada No 9. I'm also a fan of the CAO Flathead 660.

I smoke at least a cigar a week, on average, most being a Friday night tradition with my fiance on the back porch while she has a vodka drink and I have a rum drink. Typically we're not enjoying anything as fancy as these two, and more commonly a <$4/ea option.

Brought a box of Montecristo #5s back from Vienna. One will probably get burnt tonight.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SamAdams View Post
    Thanks Drang, I appreciate it.

I was thinking about the pipe especially for in the winter when it can get damned cold here. The lady of the house likes the smell of pipe smoke, but not so much that of a primo cigar. So, the pipe could be a better indoor option for me.

Is 'aromatic' tobacco likely to have a nicer aroma than other types ? (I know nothing about pipes.) - Thank you
    In fairness, neither is likely to be a great indoor option, but pipes generally are more appealing. Aromatic tobacco is the stuff that people tend to think smells good because they add sweet smelling flavorings that give notes of vanilla, or cherry or whatever. I do like some aromatics occasionally, although nothing too strong or too sweet. For the most part, though, I'm with Drang. I like a good English with, for me, a heavy dose of Latakia. What you get is a really flavorful, smokey smelling tobacco. This website: http://www.pipesandcigars.com/ is a good resource. They have some nice value, inexpensive pipes and they do some samplers and kits that look pretty good too. If you decide to try it, don't get too wrapped up in the gear until you know you like it. Get an inexpensive pipe, some pipe cleaners and some tobacco or buy one of the less expensive kits. You can use a Bic lighter and a flat head nail as a tamper. You really don't need all the gear, but it's fun to acquire - just like gun stuff.

User Tag List