Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast

Thread: Cigar and Pipe thread

The cigar world is quite the rabbit hole. So many great gems out there. I had never even heard of the The Tabernacle. Will definitely try it. Not quite as expensive as the excellent VSG is the Cohiba Nicaragua. I also like getting the samplers as a more economical way to try new things and that's how I discovered the Cohiba. I'd put it right up there with the VSG.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by perlslacker View Post
    The first thing that came to mind was the MF 1922 Le Bijou and I found a guy on reddit suggesting the same thing here so maybe I wasn't totally off base. I'm not a big Ashton guy though (their flavor profile just isn't my thing).

RE: Drew cigars, they have a lot of different stuff to try. If you live in a state where it's legal to order cigars online, and excise taxes don't eat up all the savings, many online retailers offer samplers like this one that include a bunch of different cigars from a brand. Or different cigars from different brands that all have a common flavor profile. Or whatever.
    Good selection?
    https://www.smokingpipes.com/cigars/...duct_id=459980
    @Clusterfrack
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I like Cigar Thief for deals on Drews.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Last night…

So many good cigars, so little time. I find that I will never be able to sample all the really good ones out there. Just too many. My SIL is from Ecuador and she knows the cigar culture. I guess one just has to grow up with it to understand it. Many of her relatives smoke cigars. It's like beer in Germany and the UK. She's quite the entrepreneur also. I ask her once what she was going to do with all that money. She said I buy cigars with it. She doesn't smoke cigars but she knows I do.
    Last edited by Borderland; 03-19-2024 at 08:46 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Winter has meant a very poor smoking season. So now the weather is getting better it is time.

Last week a Crowned Heads Las Calaveras. Not bad, a bit spicy for my preference. Overall I wouldn't bother buying more of these. I bought a sampler and I'll finish them out.

Name:  IMG_2340.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  50.7 KB

This past weekend a Cavalier Black USA Exclusive. This is a damn fine cigar, light smoke, flavorful, but still somehow full bodied in strength. Also, incredibly even and clean burning. The one time the wind put it out, relighting did not give me the bitter/acrid taste that relighting often does. I rarely smoke sticks down to the nub. This one I did. I have a few more in my humidor. Along with some Cavalier White, which I have also smoked. I'm not the biggest fan of Connecticut wrappers, but the White is among the best of the Conns I've had.

Name:  IMG_2349.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  42.8 KB

Site Supporter
    La Flor Dominicana (LFD) Cabinet Maduro No. 6

Excellent!

Wife and I took a half day and did some family stuff. After the rain cleared, we sat out back and enjoyed a glass and a smoke. Perfect start to the weekend.

I also picked up a Drew #9.. Maybe for tomorrow?
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Stopped by the cigar shop on the way back from picking up a corned beef yesterday. Figured I would need something to do while it was raining and my beef was simmering. I asked the owner to recommend "an Ashton VSG at half the price" and he pointed me to this Tabernacle, it was quite good. Not quite as robust as the VSG, but in a similar flavor profile... I would certainly buy this again..

Attachment 116291
    Quote Originally Posted by perlslacker View Post
    I think of this less as “an Ashton VSG at half the price” and more of a “Liga #9 but better.”

The Tabernacle is made by Foundation Cigars, which was founded by the guy who blended the #9 for Drew Estate.

I don’t think I’ve had a cigar from Foundation that I didn’t like.
    Went looking for these based on y’all’s recommendation. Found them but they were larger than I typically smoke.

Got this instead ( along with several others)

Name:  IMG_3790.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  47.8 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Went looking for these based on y’all’s recommendation. Found them but they were larger than I typically smoke.

Got this instead ( along with several others)

Name:  IMG_3790.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  47.8 KB
    Ok I caved.

It’s fantastic.

Name:  IMG_3791.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  77.6 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Another t52…

User Tag List