Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Cigar and Pipe thread

LOL! Sorry no not me. Sorry about the sea grass catch but a good cigar helps pass the time. My favorite of the RJ lineup.

Reading back through this thread I have a retraction to make. I had mistakenly referred to Oliva’s budget line as La Flor Dominicana, which is an entirely different premier brand. I was thinking of Flor de Oliva, which had even been mentioned shortly before my post. Derp.

I’ve been looking around and starting to think that for sticks in my price range, I should see if the Flor de Olivas are as decent as I remember or maybe try the Rocky Patel Mulligans that Holts carries.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    I should see if the Flor de Olivas are as decent as I remember.
    On the sweet side but they are one of my inexpensive go-to sticks. Especially the torpedos which are harder to find, these days.

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    On the sweet side but they are one of my inexpensive go-to sticks. Especially the torpedos which are harder to find, these days.
    I had the maduros years ago and if anything I remember them being a bit bitter, but I see the line comes in three wrapper varieties and the other two are Connecticut Shade (“Gold”) and Sumatra, the latter being the easier to find it seems.

I really like RP Edge Sumatras so maybe I should try those.

I cycle through hobbies, including smoking, so I’ll go months without touching tobacco then suddenly be really into cigars and pipes again for a bit. Right now I’m on a mission to finally go through some very old bulk-bought Dunhill 965, which means more frequent indulgence in smoke breaks over lunch hour. I’m thinking once it’s gone I may try Early Morning Pipe instead. Since I’m smoking a lot less than I did in school, an easier going English may be easier on the palette, and it’ll also be more enjoyable in warm weather than the cavendish and Latakia heavy 965.

Also, pictured is an old Donegal Rocky I haven’t shown off yet. Got it at an antiques shop, in rough shape, for a song on our honeymoon. It’s a close tie between this and a Stanwell for my favorite pipe.

Name:  77F7404A-1AD5-45D7-A011-7A998B8E5DF3.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  54.5 KB

Going back to the Squadron Leader shortage, I win:

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    I tried these on you guys recommendation and liked them a lot. I bought the Maduro the second time around and did not like them at all. I'm normally a Maduro fan too. My 2 cents stick to the regulars which I assume are a Natural. Great budget cigar.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    I cycle through hobbies, including smoking, so I’ll go months without touching tobacco then suddenly be really into cigars and pipes again for a bit. Right now I’m on a mission to finally go through some very old bulk-bought Dunhill 965, which means more frequent indulgence in smoke breaks over lunch hour. I’m thinking once it’s gone I may try Early Morning Pipe instead. Since I’m smoking a lot less than I did in school, an easier going English may be easier on the palette, and it’ll also be more enjoyable in warm weather than the cavendish and Latakia heavy 965.

Also, pictured is an old Donegal Rocky I haven’t shown off yet. Got it at an antiques shop, in rough shape, for a song on our honeymoon. It’s a close tie between this and a Stanwell for my favorite pipe.
    I have a similar trait.

I'm currently back to tobacco pipes after a long hiatus and working through my old tobacco before getting new stuff.

One thing I'm not sure of is combining blends in pipes. I remember that aromatics (Cult's Blood Red Moon in my case) should be smoked in a dedicated aromatics pipe.

I'm not sure if other types of tobacco are the same. The tins I've got are:

Dunhill Early Morning
    Dunhill Flake
    Dunhill Night Cap
    Bengal Slices
    Hearth & Home Black House
    Escudo Navy De Luxe
    Three Nuns Orange

Can I smoke all these blends in my favorite pipe without risking "ghosting"?
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    I have a similar trait.
    Can I smoke all these blends in my favorite pipe without risking "ghosting"?
    In addition to aromatics, the big ghosting culprits are Latakia and the Lakeland blends like Squadron Leader. The Nightcap for sure, and the EMP to a lesser extent, will likely impart a Latakia smoky flavor to your pipes. I only smoke blends with at least some Latakia in them, and even if I’m moving down in strength from 965 to EMP I’m not going to be bothered if years of 965 and Nightcap mean EMP tastes smokier in my pipes than it would in others. But if you aren’t wanting to dedicate a given pipe to English blends, I’d consider avoiding at least the really strong ones like Nightcap.

Being the recipient of other peoples' benevolence is always humbling, often slightly embarrassing, and sometimes quite tasty.

A forum member very generously responded to my posts on budget choices by sending me some of his humidor overflow to tide me over while I thought about it. Plenty of great cigars ranging from good bundle sticks to premium, but my favorite by far was the Monte Cristo Classic Series. I haven't enjoyed a cigar so much in a long time.

Recently we visited my in-laws for a weekend, the first real visit since the pandemic. My father-in-law is looking to get into cigars to match their ever growing love for (and extremely impressive collection of) good booze, and has enlisted my help in learning the ropes. As advance "payment" for the help, and because he "needs to spend money with this client," he told me to pick up a couple boxes on him at a certain brick and mortar store on our way home.

Because I enjoyed the Connecticut wrapper Monte Cristo so much, I grabbed a box of Oliva Connecticut Reserves and a box of these Perdomo 10th Anniversary Champagnes. I've only smoked a few Perdomos so far. Very good flavor, but some construction quibbles that while minor are still annoying for a cigar in this tier - some wrapper splitting, and also that band is so big that by the time you're nearly smoking the front part of it, the back part still isn't hot enough to ensure the glue is melted and it can still take some wrapper with it. I'm learning the quirks but I'm looking forward to seeing how the Olivas compare, as I've always known that brand to have excellent construction.

Mods may be shit but the members here are first class gentlemen. Mostly.

Name:  Perdomo.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  19.9 KB

User Tag List