Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Cigar and Pipe thread

I'm outclassed. Heading out with youngesy to see if a murder flies over a common spot. Have a Rob Roy shaped straight corncob in my pocket with a madeira cork holding in a pack of Half & Half.

Work is hell lately so I decided I deserved half a bowl of 965 out of my little travel sized vintage Grabow while I went out for coffee over lunch. Too busy to post a pic but I’m sure I’ll get it added to this thread at some point.

Antique shops are great places to buy pipes if you’re willing to do some cleaning, and some of my best smokers are pipes that didn’t cost much in their day (or when I found them), but were well-maintained and have briar that aged beautifully. A Kaywoodie Canadian I found that was made in the 1920s is especially nice.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    Work is hell lately so I decided I deserved half a bowl of 965 out of my little travel sized vintage Grabow while I went out for coffee over lunch. Too busy to post a pic but I’m sure I’ll get it added to this thread at some point.

Antique shops are great places to buy pipes if you’re willing to do some cleaning, and some of my best smokers are pipes that didn’t cost much in their day (or when I found them), but were well-maintained and have briar that aged beautifully. A Kaywoodie Canadian I found that was made in the 1920s is especially nice.
    I have some really wonderful pipes that I found on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    I have some really wonderful pipes that I found on ebay.
    That works too. My Stanwell is a favorite and it was an eBay find.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Name:  4B5FFBA8-D1B0-4134-8185-5552925FF036.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  39.6 KB

The Brebbia has quickly become my favorite. Most...OK all of my pipes are fairly low end. This was a bourbon fueled purchase that worked out much better than expected. I guess I never realized how much difference a quality pipe could make. The ashtray is a family “antique” that needs a bit of polish. It has both my parents names stamped on the bottom and appears to be a solid block of machined aluminum. Unfortunately, they’re not around to inquire anymore, so I’ll have to add it to the list of questions to ask later.

The Mac Baren Vanilla Flake is wonderful stuff. The room note is worthy enough that both the wife and dog seem to enjoy it... It has a steady flavor, no bite, and leaves nothing but fine ash.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    The Mac Baren Vanilla Flake is wonderful stuff. The room note is worthy enough that both the wife and dog seem to enjoy it... It has a steady flavor, no bite, and leaves nothing but fine ash.
    Ever play with Mac Baren Plumcake enough to draw a comparison? If it's as lightly topped to subtly round out the already quality tobacxo and sweeten the room note as Plumcake, I'll gladly try a tin.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    Ever play with Mac Baren Plumcake enough to draw a comparison? If it's as lightly topped to subtly round out the already quality tobacxo and sweeten the room note as Plumcake, I'll gladly try a tin.

No, but I’ve got a tin in the cart at WatchCity to give it a whirl.

I have some Hearth & Home Knotty Pine. I’m concerned. I’m concerned because when I cracked the tin, I decided it should be renamed “Homeless Arse”. You never know though...it could be wonderful. Just in case however, I will try it in an old corn cob...
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Have a pic from today’s break finishing the second half. This time it’s celebratory because the case that was making work hell just settled.

This little pipe has probably been smoked more than any of my others just because it’s small, portable, and convenient. Name:  64ACBFE0-24CB-4B1A-9C0B-952892F78137.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  55.5 KB

Site Supporter
    FWIW.... I have been very happy ordering from https://www.smokingpipes.com
    Prices are a bit less than WatchCity, shipping is USPS Priority at reasonable price and they always ship by next business day.

Gonna try some of the Mac Baren... Thanks for the reccys.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    Have a pic from today’s break finishing the second half. This time it’s celebratory because the case that was making work hell just settled.

This little pipe has probably been smoked more than any of my others just because it’s small, portable, and convenient.
    Please tell me that's not really a zippo in that pic.

User Tag List