Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DA Revolvers for a Newer Shooter

DA Revolvers for a Newer Shooter

I've got a lady friend who would like to get into shooting and carrying, who has put in the time and effort to get a CCW permit, and who likes the idea of DA revolvers.

After talking it all out, and letting her handle my stuff (I've got semi-autos and a couple of SA revolvers, but the closest thing I have to a DA revolver is a J-frame blue gun), she thinks that she would like "something along the lines of" an aluminum K-frame 3" in .38 and also a 3" J-frame in .22lr.

In my mind, this means finding a Model 12, chopping the barrel, having something like the D&L fixed sights installed & regulated, an action job (I've been by Clark's several times since moving back to LA, and that seems like the right call in this case) with some new fire control parts, and a set of CT lasergrips. Similar work for the J-frame, but without having to chop the barrel.

But is that really the right option nowadays? I am very DA-wheelie-unaware. I do know that Taurus is making an aggressive play for space in what seems like this sort of a market, but what are the models worth looking at that could compete with an aluminum K-frame? Same thing for Ruger, I lean towards the 317 simply because I'm more aware of the Smith, but what about the LCR?

Is there anything else that I'm missing? I'm thinking 148gr wadcutters for the .38, and Punch for the .22, but are there better choices? I just saw that "Powder Eater" conversion on another PF thread and I'm curious. The general thought is the K-frame for dry fire work, home defense, classes, and colder weather carry/hiking and the J-frame for volume of shooting and for carry when the smallest and lightest of guns are wanted.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Site Supporter
    For a new shooter in this category, I would recommend renting some guns at the range if possible, or meeting up with a PF member with a wider variety of revolvers for a new shooter to try.

The current 3” Colt King Cobra would be a good place to start for a 3” six shot revolver, w/o the need to do custom work out of the gate.

The LCR line is the "easy button" here. Start with this one: https://www.ruger.com/products/lcrx/...eets/5435.html for a zero recoil trainer with the added bonus of a trigger that's heavier than a "carry" version (heavier training trigger will make the carry trigger easier to run). Then either this one: https://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/specSheets/5401.html or this one: https://www.ruger.com/products/lcrx/...eets/5430.html for a carry gun, depending on if she wants an exposed hammer.

I'm intrigued by the Taurus 856 Defender Ultralite - a 3" 6-shot 38 - might be a winner for this application. BUT, no offense to Caleb, it's a Taurus. The ones I've handled in LGS had triggers from bad to horrible. Maybe that's changing, in which case I'd take a hard look at this. A pair of these, one steel, one ultralight makes a lot of sense - train with steel, carry the UL.

Maybe the Executive Grade Taurus 856? It’s an aluminum framed gun that has a 3” barrel, 6-round cylinder, a trigger job and chamfered cylinder holes. Might be a better option for a carry gun than the Model 12 because the Model 12 isn’t made anymore. That’s assuming the Taurus functions properly. I have no experience with them. I know the company is saying they’re putting a new emphasis on QC.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    Maybe the Executive Grade Taurus 856? It’s an aluminum framed gun that has a 3” barrel, 6-round cylinder, a trigger job and chamfered cylinder holes.
    Not aluminum, stainless.

I'm not seeing any of the 3" 856 "Defender" guns in aluminum. The 2" version does have some, but that gets you into guns that aren't a great idea for newbies.

(I find, from yesterday to today, Taurus has changed the layout of their site. I'll have to poke around.)

Might be a better option for a carry gun than the Model 12 because the Model 12 isn’t made anymore. That’s assuming the Taurus functions properly. I have no experience with them. I know the company is saying they’re putting a new emphasis on QC.

Quote Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
    Not aluminum, stainless.

I'm not seeing any of the 3" 856 "Defender" guns in aluminum. The 2" version does have some, but that gets you into guns that aren't a great idea for newbies.

(I find, from yesterday to today, Taurus has changed the layout of their site. I'll have to poke around.)
    My mistake. I confused it with the Ultra-Lite 856 models. It looks like several of those are available with 3” barrels.

ETA: here’s a link to one.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

That Taurus 856 UltraLight is interesting as a Model 12 alternative. Is there any grip cross-compatibility with S&W or Ruger designs? I'd love to set up such a gun with a green LaserGrip, and it would be ok even if gunsmith intervention would be needed.

Edit to add: How about action work as well? I really want whatever gun it ends up being to be the beneficiary of a top-quality gunsmith action job.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1
    Start with this one: https://www.ruger.com/products/lcrx/...eets/5435.html for a zero recoil trainer . . .
    RE: 3" LCRx. Does anyone know if the tall grip be replaced with the short grip to make it more concealable?
    David S.

TBH, I’m not sold on Taurus yet. With Caleb on board, I’m quite willing to see what we will see, but what we have seen so far (I’m talking from the late 80s to the present) is pretty meh, clearly.

As to the famed model 12, my 3” 36-1 Chief is in fact a couple of ounces heavier than my old 2” M12. Point being: neither are much fun to shoot with solid defensive ammo, although both are pussycats with match wadcutters.

But for a new shooter? I’d look at something like the 3” Colt or, if a fit of good luck strikes, a minty 3” 10/64/13/65. JMO.

This is coming from a guy who loves shooting S&W wheelies; I was shooting a 4” DAO 64 last night after work, in fact.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    My mistake. I confused it with the Ultra-Lite 856 models. It looks like several of those are available with 3” barrels.

ETA: here’s a link to one.
    Oop, missed that.

Anyway, weight on that ends up being 17oz? Too light?

User Tag List