Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Aridus SMRT Follower for 1301

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Unfortunately that's the follower I've seen hang on the transition from the extension to the factory tube and on two occasions actually back out past the shell stop into the action of the gun.

You don't need the Aridus. It's a nice unit that's working great so far.

But it would probably be best if you installed your factory follower back into your gun.
    This is good to know, thank you.

Got my new follower today! Installed it and removed the spring retainer in the process. Now I have a "high-capacity" shotgun and can be doubly certain when the tube is empty. Very pleased.
    Last edited by Oldherkpilot; 11-02-2022 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Screwed it up

For the factory 7 round guns, is there a consensus on if its better to leave the spring retaining cap in and trim the spring, or to remove the spring retaining cap and leave the spring along?

I can't get 7 rounds in with the retaining cap in place even with the stock follower, but not sure which option is better long term.

I’d just remove the retainer. The only purpose I see for it is to simplify assembly/disassembly, but as long as you’re aware that the spring is no longer “captured”.it’s not an issue. The added benefit of going this route is that it’s reversible… you could always reinstall the cap, you can’t add coils back to the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
    I’d just remove the retainer. The only purpose I see for it is to simplify assembly/disassembly, but as long as you’re aware that the spring is no longer “captured”.it’s not an issue. The added benefit of going this route is that it’s reversible… you could always reinstall the cap, you can’t add coils back to the spring.
    Thanks. That's pretty much what I thought, although I wouldn't think getting a replacement spring would be too difficult either.

I wasn't sure if maybe there was a reliability advantage to having the retaining cap so the pressure wasn't being applied to the magazine tube cover, especially if you weren't using the factory clamp.

I also remove the spring cap.

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    Thanks. That's pretty much what I thought, although I wouldn't think getting a replacement spring would be too difficult either.

I wasn't sure if maybe there was a reliability advantage to having the retaining cap so the pressure wasn't being applied to the magazine tube cover, especially if you weren't using the factory clamp.
    Erik Stern recently mentioned that the spring pushing the cap eventually would start unscrewing the cap and fly out after probably hundreds of rounds. It takes 18 turns to unscrew but what I do is tighten it down and install a RANGER BAND (bought a bag for $9.95 from Amazon) they are very strong and heat resistant.
    My tube holds 7 and 1/3RD. Rounds. So 7. It looks like this….
    Name:  1695E504-E29A-4CFF-AF14-05B1FEA35195.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  56.0 KB

Site Supporter
    A crush washer would inhibit unscrewing of the tube and probably prevent this altogether.

User Tag List