Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you all break in your S&W 642's?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Deaf Smith View Post
    Handload wadcutters and shoot all day. Slow DA and SA shooting.
    Kinda hard to shoot a 642 in SA.

Site Supporter
    Might as well use snap caps. Gunk gets under extractor star when shooting. Clean that area with a tooth brush. Shoot it a couple 100 times, and action will be smoother. Lighter springs are a trade off. In some cases this switch affects reliability. Folks notice that with them dry fire practice is easier on the finger. However, shooting it a few times with regular springs does not hurt the finger. At J frame shooting distances, lighter springs will not determine hitting or missing. J frame actions are unforgiving when people fool around with them. My opinion is that the single change you can make to improve your shooting with the J is finding grips that fit you better than oem. These little weapons are difficult to master, but once the shooter learns them, they make a worthwhile companion. Years ago I did stunt shooting with J's. Besides wasting my time, having fun, and impressing the naive, I accomplished little. A well trained opponent with so so shooting skills would have put out my lights.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Kinda hard to shoot a 642 in SA.
    Stage the trigger.

Site Supporter
    Stage the trigger.
    Generally a bad habit for a DAO gun intended for defensive use.

Stage the trigger.
    Read more, comment less.

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    I just ordered a brand new M642 no lock. I was wondering how you all break them in. I don't think I want to put a trigger kit in this one. Right now I am planning on just cleaning it and then dry firing it a while and see if it smooths up any at all.

Do any of you take the side plate off and clean in there too?
    I’ll not use the word “break.” It is bad juju to say “break,” in reference to S&W revolvers. They break. Dry-fire and live-fire will wear-in the parts.

I will, on occasion, remove the side plate, using properly-fitting screwdrivers, and a soft rubber mallet, in order to use inertia to unseat the sideplate, so that the sideplate falls onto a soft surface. (Do not pry the sideplate!) Keep in mind that the internals of S&W revolvers are somewhat like the internals of old watches. It can require a level of finesse to disassemble and reassemble, in order to avoid damaging things. Even the act of replacing the sideplate should be done with much care, and, no heavy force applied.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    Stage the trigger.
    I've been guilty of staging double action triggers but broke the habit decades ago after getting a giant ass chewing when an instructor "caught" me. Competent da shooters gain no advantage from the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I've been guilty of staging double action triggers but broke the habit decades ago after getting a giant ass chewing when an instructor "caught" me. Competent da shooters gain no advantage from the practice.
    We are talking about breaking in the revolver, right??? At least I could swear the thread was about that and not combat shooting.

Staging the trigger allows you to slowly break in the DA action. Especially if you are just dry firing ... then you don't even have to drop the hammer just trigger cock it till the bolt locks.

Plus you will get to know just where your trigger must be pulled so to... stage the trigger!

Practice makes perfect.

Site Supporter
    We are talking about breaking in the revolver, right??? At least I could swear the thread was about that and not combat shooting.

Staging the trigger allows you to slowly break in the DA action. Especially if you are just dry firing ... then you don't even have to drop the hammer just trigger cock it till the bolt locks.

Plus you will get to know just where your trigger must be pulled so to... stage the trigger!

Practice makes perfect.
    Good point.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1014247174

I follow with a fine India then wet-or-dry from 600-2500 grit backed with flat, square surfaces to maintain angles.

User Tag List