Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guards in self-defense?

Guards in self-defense?

This is a video from Iain Abernethy and I was hoping to get some opinions on it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9I36exRa3Uc&t=9s

Could you offer us your own opinion, thoughts, observations, and\or concerns on this content; please? I think that'd be a helpful premise from which to start the discussion.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Site Supporter
    I watched parts of it waiting on a conference call to start.

He acknowledges that there are games specific things in Jiu Jitsu (and other arts) and I felt like he might about to say this was games specific but it wasn’t the succinct. I jumped to the conclusion and there was more extemporaneous thought.

It is thought provoking to discuss, but to me pulling guard is high risk in real fighting. You’re committing to a fight and putting yourself in a bad position where you can’t run away, etc. or move. What if they get around your guard or throw something, etc.

I think it’s committing early to a strategy of fighting where you don’t know if that’s a huge issue.

The rule sets in Jiu Jitsu and other sports will not be adhered to in fighting.

Like slamming is illegal.

Here’s a great reason not to pulled guard actually.

1:47 - guy pulls guard - lands on his head and knocks himself unconscious.

2:52 - guy gets slammed down and could be seriously hurt.

3:00 - same.

3:52 - slight difference - dude attempted guillotine - let’s himself get lifted up off the ground and is then thrown and hits his head and unconscious.

https://youtu.be/2Izi-aYomdU

These videos are easy to find.

My two things - you should not let yourself get lifted off the ground. You should not try to wrap your legs around someone’s waist or something of that nature. Lastly, nothing hits harder than the ground in my limited blue belt experience.
    God Bless,

Brandon

His use of guard is not BJJ’s use of guard, FWIW. He’s using the word in a British pugilistic context. Different animal.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    His use of guard is not BJJ’s use of guard, FWIW. He’s using the word in a British pugilistic context. Different animal.
    I knew I should’ve watched the whole thing.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    I knew I should’ve watched the whole thing.
    Maybe. Lots of lecture, not much motion.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Got to 3 minutes and gave up. I think his argument is that the guards used in puglistic sports don't have much relevance in self defense.

Assuming that is the gist of his argument, it's utter bullshit. Just ask all the people who have been knocked on their ass while their their hands were down by their sides.

There's a reason that we, as self defense practitioners use the fence* while we MUC. It's a guard that is cleverly designed to not look like a guard.

Or I could have completely misinterpreted his argument, in which case, whatever. He should make his arguments more succinctly and his videos more compelling.

*Props to Geoff Thompson, who was one of the first martial artists to codify the defensive use of the fence.

I think Geoff Thompson and Peter Consterdine as well have actually influenced Iain quite a bit, based on what I’ve read.I don’t know the extent of their relationship, but they have trained and I believe even given seminars together.

Iain’s response to a comment under that video…

“I think you are redefining “guards” there. I agree that the fence and covers are useful, but guards (inactive hands held in a position where they are “ready” to work) don’t have a role in the close-range and chaotic world of self-protection.”

Site Supporter
    I think I get the gist of his argument...that before something goes violent it probably isn't appropriate to have your hands in a high guard.

But the idea of "try to clinch your opponent and drag him into strikes" or "always be swarming/blitzing your opponent" or "open your guard and throw as hard as possible because you'll just gas out anyways" is simply one way to engage in violence. It is not the only way.

Maybe it works for Mr. Abernathy, but I have a real hard time believing people who say they have the ONE TRUE WAY (tm) for everyone of every temperament, body type and situation. One must have the ability to judge the situation for what it is and adjust according. To be like water.

There are plenty of dudes who can use a guard to effectively create distance and potshot some dude into unconsciousness. Crazy as it sounds, boxers and kickboxers deal with blitzing attacks like you may see in a defensive encounter too. You either clinch and take it horizontal (no homo) or you use footwork off of a strike, angle out and counter before or during your opponents attempt to follow.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Another point he hits on in the video is covering being effective, but most of the other common defensive measures utilized in combat sport not really being all that practical in self-protection due to the close distance and lack of a reactionary gap. That seems to be a pretty common perspective with many Combatives type and similar instructors who want to give people some usable skills very quickly.

One example… https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fvdbjzVXN4g

In general, how relevant and practical are things like parrying, slips, blocking, bobbing, weaving, footwork when defending against punches in the most likely self-defense situations?

User Tag List