Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: A pair of homeshop made Clay guns

Oohhhh my, how much this is an experiment I want to try!

The whole "pistol grip and long forearm" thing is awesome for how a modern AR looks and handles so close to Olympic .22 and airguns. Of course, those are for shooting at targets that are broadly stationary, while the clay guns are for very dynamic targets... butttt.... lotsa modern high-dollar clays guns have pretty vertical grips and shooters that really reach out with their off hands. No one is showing up trying to win money in any kind of clays sport with a straight-gripped-stocked gun.

Same deal for the red dots- great things can be accomplished without them, obviously, but I really wonder about the circle-dot reticles...

We need to experiment and to be able to try to see what features that have come to dominate so many of our long guns match up with shotgunning, and I'd be real interested to see of the stuff that can transition and improve scores, what of it is trap vs. skeet vs. sporting clays vs. ZZ Bird vs. live bird.

Edit to add: Always best to chase skill instead of hardware- but we ignore hardware at our peril.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    Oohhhh my, how much this is an experiment I want to try!

The whole "pistol grip and long forearm" thing is awesome for how a modern AR looks and handles so close to Olympic .22 and airguns. Of course, those are for shooting at targets that are broadly stationary, while the clay guns are for very dynamic targets... butttt.... lotsa modern high-dollar clays guns have pretty vertical grips and shooters that really reach out with their off hands. No one is showing up trying to win money in any kind of clays sport with a straight-gripped-stocked gun.

Same deal for the red dots- great things can be accomplished without them, obviously, but I really wonder about the circle-dot reticles...

We need to experiment and to be able to try to see what features that have come to dominate so many of our long guns match up with shotgunning, and I'd be real interested to see of the stuff that can transition and improve scores, what of it is trap vs. skeet vs. sporting clays vs. ZZ Bird vs. live bird.

Edit to add: Always best to chase skill instead of hardware- but we ignore hardware at our peril.
    I just need the same thing Ive always needed in the Sporting Clay games, time and money for more practice.

This gun (in my long barrel form) swings very nicely. I just took the vent rib gun out of the first time (it is a Lt. Full barrel) and surprised myself on several difficult (very short window) presentations. That is an indication (especially since I was shooting low gun) that fit and swing are on point.
    Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

Quote Originally Posted by P.E. Kelley View Post
    The 24" rule was created...because I shot this at the Oregon State Champs.

Attachment 96356
    Shouldn’t be a big deal to extend that barrel the needed number of inches with a permanent extension.😈.

Then again, I’ve got something of an ornery streak…
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    I mean, you’re shooting clays, right?

I hadn’t shot my Mossberg 590 and I took it out with a group from church (along with several other guns) to shoot this weekend.

I shot clays with it decently. Who cares? I bet the red dot offers a lot of advantage.
    Ever shoot a 25 with one? That will be your sign. The truth is a RDS is an aiming device. Champion shooters aren't aiming. They're point shooting. How can they be aiming without a rear sight?

I think RDS has a place on shotguns. Probably SD, deer stand, and turkeys, but clays is a stretch. Wake me up when Olympic shooters start using RDS.
    Last edited by Borderland; 11-02-2022 at 09:17 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Ever shoot a 25 with one? That will be your sign. The truth is a RDS is an aiming device. Champion shooters aren't aiming. They're point shooting. How can they be aiming without a rear sight?
    I don't think I'd call it point shooting.

The objective of mounting the shotgun into the shoulder correctly is to have the bead floating as a perfect circle/sphere on the end of the rib with no rib visible. If the shotgun has no rib, then the bead should be floating on the top of the receiver (we called it the rear sight plain). If the rib has a mid-bead, then the objective is to have the two beads appear as a single bead.

If your mount is consistent and you don't achieve the above, then adjustments to the shotgun are made - LOP, drop and/or pitch.

So, I would more accurately call it stanced directed shooting.

That's JMO, it may be different after the two-days I plan on spending at OSP after the first of the year.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    I don't think I'd call it point shooting.

The objective of mounting the shotgun into the shoulder correctly is to have the bead floating as a perfect circle/sphere on the end of the rib with no rib visible. If the shotgun has no rib, then the bead should be floating on the top of the receiver (we called it the rear sight plain). If the rib has a mid-bead, then the objective is to have the two beads appear as a single bead.

If your mount is consistent and you don't achieve the above, then adjustments to the shotgun are made - LOP, drop and/or pitch.

So, I would more accurately call it stanced directed shooting.

That's JMO, it may be different after the two-days I plan on spending at OSP after the first of the year.
    I'm not talking about how your shotgun fits you. That's a given. What do you focus on when you shoot? Hopefully the target.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    Not all heroes wear capes.
    Love ya man!

It handles clays pretty well.

Yes, it was only one station of fifteen. Ended up with a 77/100

Patrick,

Have you tried other box feed shotguns? If so, which ones and how were they in comparision?

Thanks.
    Last edited by DamonL; 11-06-2022 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    Patrick,

Have you tried other box feed shotguns? If so, which ones and how were they in comparision?

Thanks.

I have tried others.

For background.

I was part of team Benelli for 4 years and created the Stoeger M3K 3 gun model.

Gold medals earned in international shotgun comps.

Malfunctions are NO Fing good to a (me at one time) real competitor. Not to mention those using shotguns in
    hostile situations.

Only the Dissident Arms ( >4K$) and the Genesis (<3K$) are even to be mentioned (IMHO)

All the rest are a cheap "buy 3 and hope" or learn to fix, modify, etc. Home projects if you will.

PK

User Tag List