Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A pair of homeshop made Clay guns

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I am still interested in the manual of arms for a box magazine shotgun.
    NCSA says
    Beginning at Station One, each shooter in the squad will at-
    tempt the entire menu of singles and pairs before the next
    shooter begins.

OK, assume it is similar to Station 1 in skeet, two singles and a double; four shots.
    The usual procedure is to load the OU with a shell in each barrel or an auto with one in the chamber and one in the magazine. Shoot one, shoot one, reload, shoot two.

But what are you doing? swapping two box magazines around? Multiple box magazines in case there are more than four targets at one stand?

I find it interesting that your gun led to the 24" barrel requirement but they said nothing against the optical sight.
    Skeet and Sporting Clays are different game, but loading the mag between pairs is not a problem.

Long story on the barrel thing. Short version. I show up, shoot. At the end of day one I get told my scores are null and void as I was using a "tracking device". Further told that if I don't change gun's my scores will continues to not be included.

I return to my hotel, read the rules and contact a few Cats more knowledgeable than me. "Tracking Device" in under the ammunition section of the rules and refers to tracking wads and or luminescent element in the ejecta, not anything to to with sight systems.

Further. Red Dots are mentioned within FITASC rules (not sporting) so they are ok in Sporting.

Next day I shoot (for no score) and at the next to the last station a guy rolls up and tells me my scores have been reinstated.

If you feel like it listen to minute 17-20 of this podcast. The NSCA lead dog says a clean-up of the rules are needed to eliminate Assault Shotguns and a 24" rules should fix it. (it was already 26" in FITASC)

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000552803399

Happy to answer any more questions!
    Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

Oregon State Clays Video

First minute shows me shooting Make or Break at the 2021 Oregon State match.

Nearly qualified for the top 4!

Quote Originally Posted by P.E. Kelley View Post
    Been haunting clay courses since the early 90's.
    Scores are roughly the same.

I have a VERY nice Zoli Z-Sport but prefer my Briley Built Benelli Super Sport over that.
    The GEN12's are encroaching on the Super Sport for money maker clay gun.
    I think I'd feel all kinds of messed up shooting an AR setup at clays, by which I mean the fit and my stance.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

First minute shows me shooting Make or Break at the 2021 Oregon State match.
    Thanks, I see how it goes with a box.

As one gunzine wit wrote: A shotgunner would step up with a pine handled gas pipe if it gained him a bird.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Been haunting clay courses since the early 90's.
    Scores are roughly the same.

I have a VERY nice Zoli Z-Sport but prefer my Briley Built Benelli Super Sport over that.
    The GEN12's are encroaching on the Super Sport for money maker clay gun.
    I shot an O/U for many years, both skeet and trap, mostly Berettas. For me it's the balance/fit and nothing more. If an auto loader balances and I can get the stock dimensions where I need them to be an auto loader will work. You could probably say that about any rifle or shotgun. They make some nice autos these days. I even have an 870 that I can shoot very well. I modified the stock LOP though.

It's strikes me as a bit ironic that back in the 70's everyone was shooting skeet with a 26" barrel O/U. You couldn't give one of those away now because the barrel is way too short.

Shooting with a dot fascinates me. I suppose there would be some who wouldn't like that and try to restrict them because they think it's an unfair advantage. Personally I would like to compete with someone who used a RDS because I would think it a disadvantage. But one never know, do one?

Tracking device? The only tracking device I know of is your brain. That's ridiculous.
    Last edited by Borderland; 10-30-2022 at 02:50 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    The 24" rule was created...because I shot this at the Oregon State Champs.

Attachment 96356
    We are not worthy of such awesomeness

I know you aren't building these to troll the AARSC... but I fucking would. I love everything about this thread

Site Supporter
    I mean, you’re shooting clays, right?

I hadn’t shot my Mossberg 590 and I took it out with a group from church (along with several other guns) to shoot this weekend.

I shot clays with it decently. Who cares? I bet the red dot offers a lot of advantage.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Seeing that comment upthread about the barrel length rule being made to "keep out Assault Shotguns" is unfortunate. I keep getting that mental picture of the scowling little kid with the "stop liking what I don't like" meme when I run into that attitude.

We as shooters must be prepared to hang together. The attitude of "My gun is ok but yours is not" is unhelpful. If the guns are functional, mechanically safe, and legally owned, and the shooter is safely capable of obeying range commands and procedures, we are losing the argument if we try to take it further.

I shot my first 3-gun matches with a 28" barreled A5. It was awkward, but I didn't worry about catching a ration of guff about it, and people were friendly. When I shoot USPSA, I am often shooting a Roland Special Glock 19 in Open. It's nowhere near optimal for that game and division, but no one cares and everyone is friendly.

Most of my clay shooting has been with a O/U. I started out shooting clays as a redneck kid with a camo Mossy- it was the only gun I had. I've got my Dad's 11/87 clays gun, and I want to use that gun to see what shooting clays would be like with a red dot. I get that the best don't need them, but I would really like to find out first hand if it helps or hurts my mere mortal self.

I'm not looking to make my Saiga my go-to clays gun, but it's fun to shoot, shooting clays is fun, and it's fun every now and then to combine the two. I really would prefer for that to not be a big deal when it happens.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Not all heroes wear capes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I think I'd feel all kinds of messed up shooting an AR setup at clays, by which I mean the fit and my stance.

I don't know how much "speed shooting" you do with AR's or PCC's, but they handle very well in that arena.

For me wing shooting with one is close enough to the same. "Move, mount, shoot" is universal to all "practical shooting"
    if ya think about it, aint it?

User Tag List