Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A pair of homeshop made Clay guns

At my local shotgun place, I get heckled about using my "stick up gun" 1301 tactical. It's all in good fun though and after the first round when they realize I'm safe and can shoot, nobody cares.

That said, I'm certain they'd pitch a fit about an "AR" style shotgun. The place is just odd like that. Seems like its a more traditional crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Unfortunately I rarely shoot shotguns, but I have yet to visit or otherwise become aware of a club where that type of gun would not be allowed. Is there any merit to that claim?
    Some clubs will have a minimum, barrel length rule.
    Some Busted Old Cunts will pride themselves on being BOCs that contribute to the diminishment of fun. The BOCs are more of a problem IME than the rules.
    ETA: But not really much of an actual problem.

Private clubs get to make their own rules. We have more than our share of retired individuals who like to tell people how they should conduct themselves. One guy is retired Army and a real dick. I got an email from a board member about an infraction that I have no knowledge of. Wasn't there, didn't see it, don't know anything about it. I think some of these guys must be retired prison wardens or county prosecutors.

I'm assuming that you have camera footage or a log that would indicate that I should know something about this, correct? Nope.

Just a minor inconvenience as my range is the only outdoor range within an hour of my house.
    Last edited by Borderland; 10-30-2022 at 10:05 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

At my club it really depends on the range officer. I have read the club rules and some of the things the range officers say are not written rules. Examples are 18” barreled shotguns are not allowed or box fed shotguns are not allowed.

At our range “only two rounds can be loaded at a time” is in writing.

I don't really like the "2 rounds loaded at once" rules, or the "one shot per bird" rules, outside of formalized events (where I otherwise understand and support them), but I can deal and that's ok.

The problem is the whole "that shotgun's ok, but that one's not" BS. That rule only hurts.

In multiple places at multiple times I have seen how it's either the retirees or the independently wealthy that have time to imbed themselves into the ranges, and that becoming the fount of drama and nonsense and BS. No criticism of retirement or wealth, hell I want both!, and I really appreciate people giving of their time and themselves to enable the shooting sports, but trying to get involved as first a broke college kid and then as a working stiff has damaged my patience for the sort of things were describing here.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

NSCA says:
    B. Shotguns
    Shotguns of 12 gauge or smaller, in safe working order, and capable of firing two shots are to be used in attempting all targets. No more than two (2) shells may be loaded in the gun at one time. No shotgun with a barrel length shorter than 24 inches will be permitted in any registered event unless prior approval is received from shoot management.

So why big 'nanner clips? Seems awkward. Got a video of shooting a station?

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    I don't really like the "2 rounds loaded at once" rules, or the "one shot per bird" rules,
    I do. I have shot enough trap and a little skeet to feel queasy when Bubba wants to load up his Mossy.
    And hey, if you shoot ISSF trap, you do get two tries at a bird.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    That sucks, but I don’t expect any less when more than half of that forum can only answer technique questions by saying “just focus on the clay and pull the trigger” But I’ll play.

Have you found the dot gun to be more tolerant of a less than perfect mount or movinng your head while tracking the bird than a standard shotgun? I’ve been meaning to throw a dot on one of my shotguns but just haven’t gotten around to it yet.

>>>Dots are forgiving so long as you have a fair cheek weld. As you know for the most part the dot is on it you can see it, not so much with bead fronts. I think you'll like the dot, if we are to focus on the bird, hay not have have the aiming element on the same plain.

Does the straight line recoil make pairs or a second shot easier?

>>>Yes. I limit my showboat efforts to "clay play days" and fast pairs are stupid fun!

I think to me the biggest negative would be that In a game where there is plenty of loading, but you almost never load more than two shells at a time having to load a magazine would possibly be an annoying extra step.

>>>First response, you are right. But like any effort, once you get a system down it is pretty quick. (I am reluctant to run a belt/mag pouch setup with 4 mags at the ready. I AM NOT trying to ruffle the old guards feathers, but in FITASC they got timekeepers!

ETA: It used to be considered ok to make an innovative new blaster to try and help you break more clays.
    Ljutic Space gun:

>>>YES!!!! SO much YES! I serviced a Space Gun many years ago and THAT was the inspiration for my vent rib gun!
    Attachment 96322
    Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    NSCA says:
    B. Shotguns
    Shotguns of 12 gauge or smaller, in safe working order, and capable of firing two shots are to be used in attempting all targets. No more than two (2) shells may be loaded in the gun at one time. No shotgun with a barrel length shorter than 24 inches will be permitted in any registered event unless prior approval is received from shoot management.

So why big 'nanner clips? Seems awkward. Got a video of shooting a station?

I do. I have shot enough trap and a little skeet to feel queasy when Bubba wants to load up his Mossy.
    And hey, if you shoot ISSF trap, you do get two tries at a bird.
    The 24" rule was created...because I shot this at the Oregon State Champs.

Name:  Gen12 RWB Clay .jpg
Views: 217
Size:  80.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Do you shoot a lot of SC? What were your scores with these guns? What are your scores with an O/U or other semiauto?
    Been haunting clay courses since the early 90's.
    Scores are roughly the same.

I have a VERY nice Zoli Z-Sport but prefer my Briley Built Benelli Super Sport over that.
    The GEN12's are encroaching on the Super Sport for money maker clay gun.

I am still interested in the manual of arms for a box magazine shotgun.
    NCSA says
    Beginning at Station One, each shooter in the squad will at-
    tempt the entire menu of singles and pairs before the next
    shooter begins.

OK, assume it is similar to Station 1 in skeet, two singles and a double; four shots.
    The usual procedure is to load the OU with a shell in each barrel or an auto with one in the chamber and one in the magazine. Shoot one, shoot one, reload, shoot two.

But what are you doing? swapping two box magazines around? Multiple box magazines in case there are more than four targets at one stand?

I find it interesting that your gun led to the 24" barrel requirement but they said nothing against the optical sight.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List