Thread: Favorite rule sets?

Site Supporter

Favorite rule sets?

Martial arts often has a competitive side and to build a skill in a martial art, it's often helpful to compete. No they don't transfer over to real world violence on a 1:1 basis, but much like a lot of the tactical shooting world had taken notes from USPSA, IDPA, Bullseye, precision rifle, F class competition and 3 gun, the world of martial arts carries over to real violence in some way as well I'd wager.

With that in mind, I'm interested in knowing the favorite competitive rule set of martial arts. For striking, grappling and both.

For striking, do you like stuff that's based in Queensbury rules like Boxing, kickboxing etc, or do you prefer older school rules like Muay Thai, Lethwei or London Prize Ring rules?

For grappling are you more interested in wrestling for score? Greco or freestyle or folk style or Judo? Do you like the takedowns, reversals, scrambles and short rounds, or are you interested in submission grappling rulesets like IBJJF, ADCC, EBI, or no time limit sub only?

For mixed rules...do you prefer scoring on a 10 point must system? The guy who banks the most rounds wins? Or do you prefer the contest be scored as a whole? Do you like soccer kicks or knees to the head of a downed opponent or do you find that barbaric? Or do you like some other mixed rule set like Combat Sambo or Kudo?

Asking what your favorite martial art is not productive. How you like to see the martial art applied is more interesting.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Dockside

Gouged out eyes must be returned after the fight.
    No swallowing bitten off body parts.
    Testicles may not be pulled more than one foot from the body.
    Compound fractures may not be used as stabbing tools.

Keep in mind the words Martial Arts have 'martial' in front of 'art'.

Now there has to be rules in sparring to keep injuries down but.. in training emphasis must be made that in self defense there are no rules.

Dirty poker is the style I practice now. It is not as pretty as the Tae Kwon Do I did for over 30+ years but... it is much more effective on the streets.

Yes I use the TKD kicks but I am more of a JKD man... anything goes as long as it works.

Site Supporter
    Hmm, well then let's talk about what "the rules" are on "the streets".

What's the rules on the streets? None you say?

Wrong.

There are absolutely rules to "street fighting" my guys and gals.

I don't get to bury my thumb in some dude's eye because he shoved me. I can't curbstomp a dude to death for hitting me with an open handed slap. For sure I'm going to prison and/or getting HIV if I bite off my drunk uncle's nose because he laid a hand on my wife.

There are absolutely rules if you want to stay out of jail and reduce your risk for life changing illness.

Also, when you're able to dominate someone within the confines of the rules...what do you think will happen if when all bets are off? When there are no rules, do you really think a BJJ black belt or a muay thai athlete can't poke an eye or kick a nut?

Grappling - submission only

For grappling (Gi or No Gi) I really like the ADCC rule set, or straight submission only.

I get the IBJJF positional scoring but I think advantage points are silly.

Going for the sub keeps it moving and more interesting to watch.

Going for the sub keeps it more interesting during training, whether defending or attacking and creates additional opportunities to learn.

I also don’t mind smothering the face, heavy cross faces, heavy pressure, chin pressure, or pushing on bent ears w/ the right training partners. Lighter person, lighter roll, keep it fun and Respect the tap.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KneeShot View Post
    For grappling (Gi or No Gi) I really like the ADCC rule set, or straight submission only.

I get the IBJJF positional scoring but I think advantage points are silly.

Going for the sub keeps it moving and more interesting to watch.

Going for the sub keeps it more interesting during training, whether defending or attacking and creates additional opportunities to learn.

I also don’t mind smothering the face, heavy cross faces, heavy pressure, chin pressure, or pushing on bent ears w/ the right training partners. Lighter person, lighter roll, keep it fun and Respect the tap.
    I think ADCC is possibly the greatest grappling rule set for sure. I hate advantage victories in IBJJF for sure, but I do tend to think it's better than something like an EBI match personally, because those guys often just stall til overtime which is boring to me.

Sub only is pretty awesome, except for when the match goes on for an hour or more. Then it's just grueling to watch. I'd probably prefer IBJJF over that if I'm being honest.

For fun, Quintet is my absolute favorite. Best solution I've seen to the points/overtime problem. Sub or you're both out and the next guy goes in. Call stalling actively almost like it's a wrestling match. My gym does all of our in-house tournaments in that ruleset and it's an absolute blast.

For something including striking... I'd be really curious to see what a return the original UFC "no time limits" ruleset would do to the current crop of MMA fighters. The art has progressed *so* much since those days, but the ruleset really does reward strikers. The rounds are just such a short time to work as a grappler.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ford.304 View Post
    For fun, Quintet is my absolute favorite. Best solution I've seen to the points/overtime problem. Sub or you're both out and the next guy goes in. Call stalling actively almost like it's a wrestling match. My gym does all of our in-house tournaments in that ruleset and it's an absolute blast.

For something including striking... I'd be really curious to see what a return the original UFC "no time limits" ruleset would do to the current crop of MMA fighters. The art has progressed *so* much since those days, but the ruleset really does reward strikers. The rounds are just such a short time to work as a grappler.
    Man I totally forgot about Quintet!

I always thought the best display of grappling was showing that there's levels to it.

Quintet does that pretty well and especially when you get some monster like Craig Jones or Gordon Ryan and they just submit their way through a team of five other black belts like it was nothing.

Old School NHB. No Biting no eye gouging that's it. Ball hits, headbutts it's all a go. On a mat or ring or cage to be safe. King of the Streets but not on concrete.

Pride Never Die. Pride/One Total Fight Scoring not round by round.

Five 3 Minute rounds in the modern sport would have been better than 3x5min.

User Tag List