Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Offset RDS suggestions?

Offset RDS suggestions?

Alright so I finally jumped into nods and though I really wanted DTs after using them at work, I talked myself down to a very high quality PVS-14. I just got it and have only larped in the house with it, but the 507 w/ ACSS Vulcan at the 1200 on my Razor 1-10 seems very usable.

I can cant the gun less than if I were rolling to a 45* offset and line it behind the 14 on my non-dominant eye. The circle is in full view but just barely, so any movement out of the eye box at this point is quickly illustrated through the 14 and therefore, easily fixed. I’m liking this a lot for a passive aiming setup and while it’s certainly not my EXPS, it’s reaffirming my thought process that this is a stupid effective do-all setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Alright so I finally jumped into nods and though I really wanted DTs after using them at work, I talked myself down to a very high quality PVS-14. I just got it and have only larped in the house with it, but the 507 w/ ACSS Vulcan at the 1200 on my Razor 1-10 seems very usable.

I can cant the gun less than if I were rolling to a 45* offset and line it behind the 14 on my non-dominant eye. The circle is in full view but just barely, so any movement out of the eye box at this point is quickly illustrated through the 14 and therefore, easily fixed. I’m liking this a lot for a passive aiming setup and while it’s certainly not my EXPS, it’s reaffirming my thought process that this is a stupid effective do-all setup.

IME Holosuns look awful under NODS. It’s one of their few weaknesses vs Trijicon products.

With the increasing availability of the ACRO P2 there are some good deals to be had on ACRO P-1s right now and early adopters transition to the P-2.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    IME Holosuns look awful under NODS. It’s one of their few weaknesses vs Trijicon products.

With the increasing availability of the ACRO P2 there are some good deals to be had on ACRO P-1s right now and early adopters transition to the P-2.
    I assumed that may be the case but I didn’t notice anything negative. What’s the problem with them?

Site Supporter
    I assumed that may be the case but I didn’t notice anything negative. What’s the problem with them?

Nothing in daylight but IME blooming / too bright even at lowest settings under NVG.

Their newest designs are much better, see my comments in the EPS thread.

The AEMS is in the same league as Aimpoint as far as passive aiming goes.

Ive heard the newest 509t revision is decent but dont have any hands on experience.

The one 507 ACSS I tried did not have that issue at all, it was crisp and both settings were very usable. I’ll look at the older one I have at some point but it’ll be a while until I have my guns outside in the dark.

My brother ran a setup similar in a Kinetic Consulting class, but changed to a T2 cause he didn't like the view through his holosun. He believes it's his DO-ALL rifle too.

I ran an EXPS with a magnifier in unity mounts and was very pleased with the overall utility

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    My brother ran a setup similar in a Kinetic Consulting class, but changed to a T2 cause he didn't like the view through his holosun. He believes it's his DO-ALL rifle too.

I ran an EXPS with a magnifier in unity mounts and was very pleased with the overall utility
    EoTech are the shit under NODs. I used a EXPS on a Unity riser in the Kinetic Consulting NV class I attended.
    LET'S GO BRANDON!

My 3 509s are very acceptable under NODS with my tubes. The light transmission isnt close to my ACRO, but it's not very useable with my set up. My 5x 507s are on the horrible side when it comes to light transmission.

Also consider running your RDS on top of your scope. For one of my precision rigs, I have it set up this way and find it's easier to run passive with the RDS on top of the scope. Also allows me to find targets at distance on 1x and "drop" into my scope and find a target.

On other more 3-gun oriented rigs I do run Arisaka offsets at ~35* which is faster for closer range, but I find it more of a pain when running my dual tube set ups since the RDS head positioning is lower on my offset mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    EoTech are the shit under NODs. I used a EXPS on a Unity riser in the Kinetic Consulting NV class I attended.
    Totally agree the EOTech is king of passive aiming due to the big window and light transmission. My T2s and M5s are a very very close second. The doughnut of death is nice when dealing with a limited color palette under nods. Unfortunately the EOTech is too clunky to use in an offset role to me

Thankfully on my 509Ts the reticle is dim enough on the lowest setting I can use the doughnut as well, same on my 507 ACSS (although the light transmission is subpar on my 507s). The ACSS reticle is really neat looking under NODs.

User Tag List