Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Offset RDS suggestions?

Offset RDS suggestions?

What Holosun RDS would be a good option for a offset RDS on AR paired with a NX8 2.5-20x or similar? HE407 vs 507 vs 509T vs others?

Would the ACSS Vulcan reticle be an advantage over the regular circle and dot? Would an open or closed emitter be a better option?

It looks like the Arisaka 35-45d mount is well liked and reviewed.

Has anyone run an offset RDS on a boltgun with success?

Is passive aiming important?

Personally I have not found the 32/2 circle dot to be useful for an offset dot, I definitely would not want the vulcan reticle. A plain 2moa dot is good to go for me.

For a hard use rifle I would 100% prefer an enclosed emitter.

The arisaka mount is good, and the ability to play with the angle and R/L is nice if your getting in to offset dots, as you really need to find the exact configuration that works for your index/ergonomics.

So, of those listed 509 would for sure be my choice. Getting a 407 to save money and try out the concept might also make sense.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by strow View Post
    What Holosun RDS would be a good option for a offset RDS on AR paired with a NX8 2.5-20x or similar? HE407 vs 507 vs 509T vs others?

Would the ACSS Vulcan reticle be an advantage over the regular circle and dot? Would an open or closed emitter be a better option?

On a bolt gun, no.

What do you want the offset for ? For passive aiming under NVG ? Holosun's are great optics overall but suck for passive aiming under NVG.

Otherwise the standard 509t x2 would be my choice.

The Vulcan reticle is primarily for "finding the dot" on pistols. Given the additional points of contact long guns provide, finding the dot is not an issue. Without the need for the alignment assistance, there is no reason to choose the Vulcan reticle models which have noticeably shorter battery life.

Passive NV aiming is not a concern right now.

The hope it to be able to run a MPV (2.5-20x) with the ability to use the offset RDS up close when needed. It would be on a general purpose AR that gets used a lot for predators, varmints, some deer, and as a ranch/truck gun. I would like the ability to take quick shots form 0-75y and sill be able to ID and kill coyotes at +400y. I'm sure there are guys than can do it consistently...but I struggle to ID and kill coyotes at +300y with the LPVO's.

The Raptilia ROF-SAR mount also looks promising with the ability to run about any angle you want.

That is the idea anyway...

Not much to add to the previous two replies other than another nice thing about the Arisaka offest mount is they come in two heights to better match the height of your scope mount and if want to change the RDS you just have to change out the top plate.

Also, have you considered an RDS at the 12 o'clock position? I've been using a G mount with an RMR on a Reptilia ROF-90 and really like the setup, one of these day I'll replace the RMR with an ACRO. In addition to being able to take close up shots and passive aiming with NV, it is better for ambi shooting and lets you line up on further objects then drop into your high magnification optic, no need to start a low magnification and dial in or fish around at 20X.
    LET'S GO BRANDON!

Passive NV aiming is not a concern right now.
    My preference would be a 12:00 mount right now, assuming you're not running a high-ish scope mount. If I ran an offset optic, I'd work hard to get the optic-to-barrel offset as vertical as possible.

and maybe I'm just clumsy, but stuff hanging off the side of the rifle just gets hung up on stuff. Heck running the rifle canted, I can get the mag hung up on a doorway.

eta: I no longer personally own an AR with a LPVO/MPVO anymore

Larues mount is nice too if you go that way.
    I went with a rmr fwiw
    Name:  IMG_20221021_143124.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  60.4 KB

Does anyone have an idea with the mounts mentioned (Arisaka, Raptilia, LaRue) or others what the largest objective lens they will clear and still have a decent sight picture?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar

I really like the K sized offset RDS options. They reduce the overall bulk of the RDS quite a bit. With the new EPS out, I would lean towards that if offered with the circle/dot reticle. I have a couple 507ks that I use in this role and I am quite happy with. I use/recommend the Arisaka offset mount.

I have an EPS offset on an Arisaka. Not a ton of rounds but so far so good.

Name:  DE0D4C4E-9288-4063-92F0-6BD3FFA97E25.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  76.8 KB

Name:  F507DFEC-E0B8-49A0-A528-71CA6B65706D.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  45.3 KB

User Tag List